Normal Engine RPMs

This may be a stupid question, but will it hurt the motor if i run it mostly in the lower RPM's, like 3-5K? Im thinking it wont hurt since 1 its not a 2 stroke, and 2 its fuel injected. Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks.

Oh and sorry if this is a repost...

D

Won't hurt it unless you lug it; WOT at 3k really isn't a great thing. 5k is darn near midrange though, and these bikes pull decently there.

If you want to run around all the time at 3-5k, you should have gotten a Victory V-Twin; that's a diesel RPM range. :)

I commute on my FZ1 and don't blast around in traffic, so I'm in that range at low throttle openings all the time. The engine does not sound like it's lugging unless the throttle is opened up, like Boomer says.

I'm a twin rider who got the FZ1 on trade for my unreliable Buell, so I could be under-revving. I'll bet I get a lot of miles on this thing, though.

I almost always run at about 4k on a consistant basis. I never have any lugging of the motor since I use the correct gear for where you are running. On the highway, at 4k in 6th gear, I'm running 60mph on the speedometer. Around town it's about the same only I'm in 3rd or 4th gear. I don't see a problem with it if your using the correct gear. If you want real excitement, get into the 8k range and hold on tight!

I guess it is all about how it feels to you. I am usually betwen 6K - 7K cruising around town. Though I am only getting about 30mpg running that way.

Last edited:
If the road ahead isn't open, I'm at this in my lowest range. If the road is clear, I'm headed for 5k rpms in whatever gear keeps me there. If I find the GOOD corners, I'm up closer to 8k, again in what ever gear keeps me there.

If the road ahead isn't open, I'm at this in my lowest range. If the road is clear, I'm headed for 5k rpms in whatever gear keeps me there. If I find the GOOD corners, I'm up closer to 8k, again in what ever gear keeps me there.

Boy, I feel like a tortoise in a room full of hares!, but then again, I'm still averaging over 40mpg.

Over the specified RPM from the range given by the factory as their "recommendation"

The LEO just caught him in a moment of thought when he slowed down enough to actually be able to catch him that day.......

Last edited:
I like to run my bike at around 6 to 8000 Rpm or 8000 to madness...the bike runs real good and I trie to take good care of it... and for now thats stock, but i can`t wait to change it up alittle.....:rmwl:

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, but will it hurt the motor if i run it mostly in the lower RPM's, like 3-5K? .......
D

I just don't have fun riding in that range. I want to be @ 5K for quick acceleration and love to take it over 8K for that speed rush. I guess I enjoy the Sport aspect of the FZ1 more than the Tourer.:sport12:

Yea, my mpg sucks, but I don't own a motorcycle for anything but riding enjoyment.

Last edited:
My post was more or less talking about around town riding. Ran the last tank yesterday between 4-6k more or less and got about 45mpg on it. Still hit 8+ in the twisty bits tho. Thx for the info guys.

No harm

My post was more or less talking about around town riding. Ran the last tank yesterday between 4-6k more or less and got about 45mpg on it. Still hit 8+ in the twisty bits tho. Thx for the info guys.

Hey Bayne, I commute usually at 80-85 on I-5. My rpm is 5000 to 5500. Besides normal service no problems at all. Ran out to the east coast -5000+ :sport12:mi. round trip- during Memorial holiday (lots of cops) ran the speed limit mostly. All stock. 85,000 miles.

BTW - I intentional have been driving the past 2 weeks at ~5,000 RPMs (down from 6,000-7,000) when commuting. At the lower RPMs I am getting about 37MPG up from 30MPG.

Back