Noob PC Questions

Just finished up with a few mods (LARS airbox w/K&N, CD plates, Roth plates, slip-on, gutted cat, 16t). Got it all back together after doing the naked conversion, and a 10k mile service (oil & plugs).

Runs pretty damn good, but I think there's room for improvement with a box. Problem is this is my first EFI bike, and I'm not sure what the best PC version is. I've searched, but not come up with much. I'm guessing that the III vs. IV vs. V, etc. are just revision changes with a few new goodies? My main question is are the map files interchangeable with all versions, or if you get a V do you have to stick with V version maps?

Currently I'm still shopping around for the best price on any of them, but will likely be pulling the trigger soon. Any input is appreciated! :tup:

Thanks,
Luke

Either PC III or V will work for your '06. If going the PC V route use the one for the '09-10 FZ1.

Maps are not interchangeable (different format), but you can convert a PC III map to a PC V one using the Power Commander software. Personally I have the PC V and don't see why you would go for the PC III, unless you got a great deal on one.

Yeah, from what I've seen they're basically the same price?!

Yea, that's been my experience as well. By the way the PC V is also a lot smaller (and easier to mount) so that's why I recommend it. Has a lot more features as well, but I think the average user doesn't use most of them. Also you can download maps to it w/o running the bike or using an external power source like the PC III, which required a 9V battery to connect to it off the bike.

Not sure about the PCIII but the PCV is pretty much a Excel spreadsheet... So you can build your map on excel and copy & paste it to the PCV. As long as you respect the PCV format (number of rows & columns)

You have an 06. There are two choices on that bike. Get an FCE (about $200) or get a 2010 or later ECU (about $500) I went the ECU direction.

Tuning the bike at home requires about $1000 hardware if you really want to do this right. The PC5 is the way to go.

The cheapest direction to go is get the 2010 ECU and just go ride it. After that the addiction gets real bad....

Beast

Yea, that's been my experience as well. By the way the PC V is also a lot smaller (and easier to mount) so that's why I recommend it. Has a lot more features as well, but I think the average user doesn't use most of them. Also you can download maps to it w/o running the bike or using an external power source like the PC III, which required a 9V battery to connect to it off the bike.

Sounds like I'll start shopping for a good price on the PCV then...thanks for the info!

You have an 06. There are two choices on that bike. Get an FCE (about $200) or get a 2010 or later ECU (about $500) I went the ECU direction.

The cheapest direction to go is get the 2010 ECU and just go ride it. After that the addiction gets real bad....Beast

Am I reading this correctly? You're saying that if I get a PCV, it won't work right on my '06?:eyebrow: It sounds like NJ is running one without problems, and from his profile he's got the same year as me. Either I'm missing something, or you haven't changed your calendar over from April 1st yet?! :D

Thanks,
Luke

Am I reading this correctly? You're saying that if I get a PCV, it won't work right on my '06?:eyebrow: It sounds like NJ is running one without problems, and from his profile he's got the same year as me. Either I'm missing something, or you haven't changed your calendar over from April 1st yet?! :D

Thanks,
Luke

The PCV and a FCE will work fine for you. WhittleBeast has a tuning fetish and he's got a full radio shack store bolted to his bike. He's the 1% looking for perfection and understanding of whats really going on with the bike. The FCE is considered almost a requirement on the 06 bikes because of the abrupt throttle response off idle.
The rest of us are content with a pcv/pcIII and a map that works ok.

I enjoy learning from Whittlebeast he's doing some cool stuff ( half I dont understand ) lol but 99% of us are just going with a PC and were happy.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Luke

The o6 bikes have serious fuel cut that has to be addressed. The PC5 is not enough. On the 07-09 bikes, is is somewhat better but they are still really lean in overrun. The 10s and later are better yet but still do some really strange things. I am finding that these bikes really need to have full time closed loop tuning to really deal with these issues.

Beast

So WB, do you think a PCV would be worthwhile on my 08? All I've done is a slip on, remove AIS, and remove all the EXUP stuff. I think I'm going to do the 16t sprocket.

Just finished up with a few mods (LARS airbox w/K&N, CD plates, Roth plates, slip-on, gutted cat, 16t). Got it all back together after doing the naked conversion, and a 10k mile service (oil & plugs).

Runs pretty damn good, but I think there's room for improvement with a box. Problem is this is my first EFI bike, and I'm not sure what the best PC version is. I've searched, but not come up with much. I'm guessing that the III vs. IV vs. V, etc. are just revision changes with a few new goodies? My main question is are the map files interchangeable with all versions, or if you get a V do you have to stick with V version maps?

Currently I'm still shopping around for the best price on any of them, but will likely be pulling the trigger soon. Any input is appreciated! :tup:

Thanks,
Luke

Hi Luke, was the CD flies a worth while mod over stock? doing similar mods to you this week (apart from gutted cat) and im starting to think the FCE is a definate for my 06 bike as it shows a good improvement mid range after a PC. spent over a grand on it so far and it just keeps getting more expensive! let me know about the flies mate

cheers, mark.

Hi Luke, was the CD flies a worth while mod over stock? doing similar mods to you this week (apart from gutted cat) and im starting to think the FCE is a definate for my 06 bike as it shows a good improvement mid range after a PC. spent over a grand on it so far and it just keeps getting more expensive! let me know about the flies mate

cheers, mark.

The CD flies made a big improvement on my bike, but if I had to do it again I would buy Ivans flies. My Copper Dawg flies had a rough edge/ridge where they were cut and 3 of the four needed to be sanded to slip into place. They also did not come with new replacement screws like Ivans do.
The rough cut on my Copper Dawg flies scraped the paint/coating off the spindle when I tried to insert the first one before sanding.

Back