noise

pigs

Sorry, sorry I'm sure this has been discussed several times before but I didn't know what to search for...

Ok so I heard this fast rattle before on my R6, but I just got my FZ1 back from the dealership after it's 600 mile service today, and I noticed it more than ever.

So when the revs are between 2-4k there's a really fast engine rattle I guess it is.... like t,t,t,t,t,t,t a very quick tapping. What is that noise? It seemed louder than usual today. Does it differ depending on the gas you put in?

Just curious and hope it's nothing bad...

Sorry, sorry I'm sure this has been discussed several times before but I didn't know what to search for...

Ok so I heard this fast rattle before on my R6, but I just got my FZ1 back from the dealership after it's 600 mile service today, and I noticed it more than ever.

So when the revs are between 2-4k there's a really fast engine rattle I guess it is.... like t,t,t,t,t,t,t a very quick tapping. What is that noise? It seemed louder than usual today. Does it differ depending on the gas you put in?

Just curious and hope it's nothing bad...

Did you check the oil "sight glass" to make sure that the level is up to par? I know these motors are not the quietest but the only motor I've ever heard tapping was CanonFuji's, and his bike has 90,000 plus miles on it.

yeah, just went out and did that. Looks great. The bike is cold right now. You can't really see anything while its leaned over but stand it up and the sight glass is full...

I haven't noticed it on my wifes fz6, but her leo vince is so loud I doubt Id hear it anyway

The last time I heard any noise from what seemed like the motor, it was actually my chain that needed lubrication and adjustment. Check out the slack in your chain. I know when mine is loose or out of adjustment, it clacks a little when the bike hits a certain speed while slowing down. Just a thought.

You could have a sticking cam chain tensioner if the noise is worse or only happens after starting with the engine already hot from riding. This will get better with some more miles. The other possibility if the noise is worse just after cold starting is "cold carbon knock" of what car techs call CCK. Piston carbon in the squish edges make a rattling noise that goes away when the engine is fully warmed up and rev'd harder. Gas additives like Techron, Sea foam or Amsoil PI will help but can take several hundred miles to remove the carbon. I usually buy 91 octane for my FZ1 even though the book says 86 is permitted and hope it burns cleaner :)

Back