noise violation??

sammysr

first of all are they easy to get? or do you have to be stupid and sit there at a light and rev it or fly by a cop then get it added on? i just want to know how easy they dish them out. second, whats like the official standard they use to determine if you are breaking the noise law thing? and third, how much are the tickets and what can happen if you get one? especially since im 16 :) and do they ever tell you your exhaust is illegal or do they not know when it is most of the time?? thanks

When it comes to excessive noise, each state has it's own laws on what is allowed and what is not. I ran a D&D on my 01' for over two years here in NY and was never stopped by police. On the other hand Eric (FZ1inNH) was stopped at a checkpoint where they measured the decibels from his exhaust. He had a DB Killer in and passed. I guess some members in Ohio will chime in whom may know what the noise ordinances are in your state.

wow i didnt know they had checkpoints lol. and how loud is your d&d? because the exhaust im getting is a delkevic 8 inch 200 mm exhaust and should be loud :)

wow i didnt know they had checkpoints lol. and how loud is your d&d? because the exhaust im getting is a delkevic 8 inch 200 mm exhaust and should be loud :)

I run a scorpion cf pipe marked "for race use only" . I commute on it and have a weekend loop through several towns and have never had an issue . that being said , I doubt it could pass any type of sound test . this is in S/E Mi and N/W Ohio.YMMV Mark

When you get older, loud pipes will not be as much of a priority as when you are young. Loudness can annoy your neighbors especially if you leave early in the morning or come back late at night. Plus they can make you lose your hearing while touring. It's like going to a Who concert.

Wait I thought u couldn't really hear it since its behind u I figured it wasn't as loud for u

Well you said you're only 16. Just ride a loud bike for 20 more years and find out how much hearing loss you have. Earplugs and a full face helmet will help a great deal with that. As far as a loud pipe. There is absolutely no reason for having one. Plenty of aftermarket cans out there that will give you more performance without the noise. And the loud pipes saves lives argument is just BS. It's also easier to horse around on a quite bike.

I'm not from your state so I can't tell you how well the police enforce noise violations but I really think it's more for the Python Pipes you see on cruisers. I have not really seen a sports bike exhaust that comes near that and my M4 is pretty loud as far as sports bikes go.
As far as the actual law: Simple Google search.

Lawriter - ORC - 4513.221 Local regulation of passenger car and motorcycle noise.

Getting to the meat of it -

(a) When operated at a speed of thirty-five miles per hour or less, a maximum noise limit of eighty-two decibels;

(b) When operated at a speed of more than thirty-five miles per hour, a maximum noise limit of eighty-six decibels.

Your new exhaust may have a listing of it's db level. If not - you can always call the manufacturer. LOL You just dropped some pretty good money on a new exhaust so they should be happy to tell you about the sound levels.

When I was looking for exhausts I used Youtube to hear/see what the exhausts looked like. Later on I found a soundboard of all the popular exhausts. I think this list is really well done and you should get a very good idea of what you will have.

Sport Rider-motorcycle sport bike exhaust pipe sound clips

Finally - I have never had a problem with cops and any exhausts. With that being said, I had several friends who received tickets in the mid 90's when on their Ninja's. I personally didn't think they were too loud and 2 of the friends got the tickets dropped by contesting them. The point of the story is to tell you that if a cop wants to give you a ticket - he will give you a ticket. The best way around it is to drive smart (yes I have had moments of driving very stupidly in my life) and be respectful when pulled over. That has gotten me out of more tickets than I can tell you.

It will be intersting in the future when non-ICE powered vehicles will dominate. Most likely artificial sound will be used as entertainment and for safety reasons.

Minimum sound is necessary except for recon or a "company" mission, but besides emmissions, noise pollution will also be reduced.

Back