Noise from the front wheel

Just put my first post in the new members area and looking for some advise on a small problem.

Got my '08 FZ1-S in April last year with 1350 on the clock. Started to notice a clicking sound which was happening once for every revolution of the front wheel. It was pretty quite and only audible at low speed and stopped when the brake was on. Also noticed that without changing the pressure on the brake lever the braking effect was uneven.

Took it to the local dealer who diagnosed that the front discs had become eliptical, which they said 'happens sometimes' with floating discs and new discs were needed. Got new discs - - - short story here when they got me some EBC discs, which i hadn't asked for, and only after they'd fitted them and I'd had it back was it obvious that they were two different colours of luminous orange, so after much haggling and 2 months later I got new Yammy ones back on - - - this solved the uneven braking but i've still got this clicking which stops when applying the brakes. The dealer tells me this 'happens sometimes' with FZ1's, that it's not a problem and is just caused by the constant pressure on the calipers onto the pads. Funnily enough i'm not completely satisfied and i'm interested in anyones comments, before i go back to them!

Thanks, Luke

Hey Luke I wish I had the answer for ya but I think you need to get the front wheel off the ground and give it a spin and see If you can hear it clicking.
Or slowly rotate it and see what happens but I haven't heard this one before Sorry.

I think there are a couple of threads on this subject and I would probably look at how loose the pad fits in the caliper if you are saying the brake takes the noise away.

I've not had this problem but I did read about another rider who had the problem. It ended up being a stuck piston on one of his calipers. Check them with another person. Put the bike on the center stand and have your friend sit on it very far back so the front wheel is off the ground. while they handle the brake, spin the front wheel and focus on each individual brake pad to be sure the gap closes when your friend applies the brake. If one doesn't, there is your suspect.

The clicking from this other guy was because that brake pad was always loose and hitting the disc on each revolution.

This may not be the issue but it will rule out a few things.

I'd check the runnout on the surface where the discs bolt up to the wheel to make sure it's true. If it's not, you'll always have a slight ticking or pulsing as the wheel goes around. I've had dealers bypass that little check before and keep putting new discs on because they were blaming the discs, not the wheel or bearnings.

Appreciate your help, got it sorted now. couldn't believe how simple it was. It was just loose pads grabbing the discs, must be a tiny high spot for it to be doing it regularly. All i did was put a little more bend in the spring holding the pads in place and a little racing grease on the back of the pads and all is good with the world.

Gonna check this wont hold the pads onto the discs when i release the brake, don't want to over heat the discs.

Back