Hi guys love the fourm i'm new just registered yesterday. I'll make a long story short as I can I've owned Yamahas for over 25 years n just bought as near mint new 01 fz1 as you can get, couldent even find a scratch and love the bike to death as compared to the many vmaxes and fj 11's n 12's I've owned? but my tach dosent work and service manual is very vauge. I get no tach error codes n every thing else works perfect ,when I turn on the key it goes directly to 0 rpms which I assume it should do but nothing after...stays on 0. Everything else looks and works flawlessly, one odd thing I do notice is when I set the clock and restart the bike it is back to 12:00. Any ideas? I was thinking possibly a ground short sumwhere but don't know where to begin looking. Any help would be appreciated thanks !

Last edited:
Hi and welcome aboard ,, the only thing that's comes to mind would be a power supply failure , hence the clock defaulting on cranking. I would check the block connectors to the cluster for corrosion ,

same problem, different bike

The instrument cluster is basically a circuit board with many tiny solders, the same as my 990. I have a similar issue with intermittent blanking and clock resetting to 12:00. The problem is well documented, and essentialy comes down to a bad or broken solders on the back of the board where the multi-pin connector attaches . Since a new instrument pod is near $700.00, I live with the issue. If you are willing to attempt a repair and able to do the circuit board check and fine solders work it should be repairable.

The instrument cluster is basically a circuit board with many tiny solders, the same as my 990. I have a similar issue with intermittent blanking and clock resetting to 12:00. The problem is well documented, and essentialy comes down to a bad or broken solders on the back of the board where the multi-pin connector attaches . Since a new instrument pod is near $700.00, I live with the issue. If you are willing to attempt a repair and able to do the circuit board check and fine solders work it should be repairable.

Thanks for the info guys I sprayed all the fuse connections and connections n it's working again so far. Appreciate the help guys.
If anyone is interested in a Corbin seat by the way I bought one n the girlfriend hates it so I'm getting rid of one of them lol paid 375 3 months ago would sell n pay for shipping for 225 I don't think I can post in the classifieds for 30 days so hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning it. Had it on Craigs list n about 5 people try scamming me on there so I pulled add lol....thanks again

Thanks for the info guys I sprayed all the fuse connections and connections n it's working again so far. Appreciate the help guys.
If anyone is interested in a Corbin seat by the way I bought one n the girlfriend hates it so I'm getting rid of one of them lol paid 375 3 months ago would sell n pay for shipping for 225 I don't think I can post in the classifieds for 30 days so hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning it. Had it on Craigs list n about 5 people try scamming me on there so I pulled add lol....thanks again

The seat not the girlfriend I should clarify :)

Back