No Start

markowinnipeg

Last week started bike after sitting all day at work and wierd the clock had reset to 12:00am, reset and rode no issues for a week. Yesterday went to start bike after work and pushed the start button and nothing. Headlights and gauge lights working but not even a click. Push 2 more times and 3rd time started but clock reset to 12:00am again.
Is this a starter that is on it's way out that is shorting? I checked battery when I got home and it pretty much full charge. Battery is 1.5 years old. Thanks for your help.

Last week started bike after sitting all day at work and wierd the clock had reset to 12:00am, reset and rode no issues for a week. Yesterday went to start bike after work and pushed the start button and nothing. Headlights and gauge lights working but not even a click. Push 2 more times and 3rd time started but clock reset to 12:00am again.
Is this a starter that is on it's way out that is shorting? I checked battery when I got home and it pretty much full charge. Battery is 1.5 years old. Thanks for your help.

I wonder if you might have a connector thats dirty or a dirty ground somewhere. I would think in order to reset the clock, the power would have to be disconnected for some moment of time. Maybe there is a loose connector, or dirt in the connection that is intermittently cutting power to the bike.

Last edited:
:+1:

Disconnect, clean, apply corrosion resistant/terminal protectant, reconnect, battery tender to battery until fully charged.

Check all electrical terminals that have EVER been touched by anybody other than original technician who built that bike as well. If any have been ever loosened, then follow above instructions.

I agree sounds like a loose or corroded connection, but I'll also add that a battery can read full voltage with a meter but fail under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked battery terminals last night all good. I will trace the starter power back and check that connection. This all started after my speed sensor quit, I have a new one on order and I know not related but I did pull apart gauge and sensor connections and put dielectric grease on them to see if sensor would start working again. Maybe related.......only those located in the twlight zone will know de de de de de de

Pulled out the manual and started to check out possible problems. Had to do as it is again starting fine but I am leaning towards the starter circuit cut off relay. What I cannot figure out is the wiring is different on the bike going into relay plugs than manul. It shows to do a resistance test on relay couplers marked 3 and 4 (blue/white & black) but on bike wires going to those couplers are different color? So do I test base on wire colors in harness or test relay based on couplers?

Do you have a new battery? Mine did that and a few months later the battery went. I replaced it with no issues since. My battery was barely a year old so I got it replaced under warranty. when they tested it, they didn't find anything wrong with it but replaced it anyway since I was 20 days from the end of the free replacement.

Battery was bought new beginning of last season. I am thinking maybe that is it as no problems in morning in my garage but when it sits all day (cool temps here now only highs of 10c) it then acts up. Just not even 2 years old was hoping not.
it reads 12.8 volts and even under starting load still around 12 volts

Thanks. I like the pic on your profile, here are my 2 wolves (my giant malamute and Anatolin Shepherd / wolf cross). I am fortunate that my wolfs keep me young (force me to get off my ass and walk them) hopefully you are able to keep yours in line and enjoy life.

Last edited:
Back