no rear braking (without ABS) on slippery patch

I'm sorry the point of that drill is to see what it's like to lock up the rear and keep it locked up.

I guess in the experience I've had in the rain and wet conditions, you take things a little slower and try not to get into a situation where you have to lock the brakes up.

I've locked up the rear a lot actually, oil slicks, in the rain, emergency braking. I just don't get the point of this drill.

purpose of this drill is indeed only to experience the effects.
Later on we did the same exercise by gently braking the rear with ABS.
If you do not have ABS, you can slow the bike on such patches by gently applying the front brake, but NOT the rear brake.
Indeed it requires practice and when sudden occurs, your survival instincts take over and you crash by applying the brakes incorrectly

Later on we did the same exercise by gently braking the rear with ABS.

I've always thought that ABS was, in a large part, to save you from your own panic/survival reactions. When faced with a slippery spot, or an emergency, some people would slam down on the rear brake. With ABS (I've never experienced it on a motorcycle), does it matter whether you are gentle or not?

I think that this exercise would be good to get a feel for what "threshold" braking feels like. Having the safety net of the outriggers would make it easier to push past the bike's limits and experience the precursors to a crash with out the "negative side effects."

What class was this?

Back