No nonsense

My scoot is just now a bit less than five months old. Because I was able to take it to the Gulf of Mexico this winter I have been able to log 4000 miles since I picked it up on December 27th. Although until about two months ago I was going to keep it stock, I have added quite a few performance and functional items to the bike. Why? For the first time in a long time, this bike is going to be my ride for a long time. My last three bikes didn't last over a year before I traded and the one before the FZ lasted seven months. I'm picky about my mounts and when they don't fit just right, they don't last long and I don't bother trying to add this or that to make them fit. The FZ1 is a bike that looks and feels like a no nonsense motorcycle. It doesn't pretend to be the fastest or absolutely best handling thing on the market. It's certainly not the cushiest bike around but in my estimation, it is the best all around motorcycle I've seen in a very long time. It does almost everything better than 90% of what's out there and does everything else 90% better than the rest. It doesn't demand much of the rider and yet it will kick the crap out of most of it's competition. It's a sheer pleasure to own and ride. When you can say that, you know you have made the right choice.

My sentiments exactly! My FZ is also probably the best all around bike that I have owned, followed closely by my 1985 Suzuki GS550E. The Suzuki was a great, comfortable bike, that also had that sporty look to it. It just didn't have the amazing power that the 1000 has. Had I bought a GS1100E back then, it probably would have been a close equivalent to the modern FZ1000. I just don't think that I had the experience back then to start right out on a litre bike. I have noticed that as I have gotten older, my preferences have changed partially due to the age factor. I really would love to have an R1, but my now older carcass wouldn't be able to handle it. Even at times when I have been on the FZ for a long day trip, I can feel my knees cramping up on me. I couldn't imagine having a set of higher rearsets. So I would say that my trusty old FZ will probably be my last bike, unless of course, I was able to find a newer GEN1 with low miles, like an 04 or 05. I might be tempted then to get another. Until then, it will be my 01'.

Back