NH rider died this AM

I'm just amazed that there aren't more fatalities in these "no helmet" states than what are listed in the news. I was simple amazed at how many riders didn't have helmets on that weekend. I can honestly say, and I'm sure that Tony will back me up, that it had to be 2 helmeted riders for every ten, and thats being generous! What a sin, 20 years old and gone already! I'm not saying that he would have survived even wearing a helmet but it sure would have given him at least a fighting chance.

You're correct with that ration Billy. Because of the lack of a helmet law, a lot of riders come here from other states and remove their helmet as soon as they cross the border. This is one instance where "Live Free or Die" is costing lives.

Nope, can't say that he would have lived at all, but again, you are 100% correct. At least his chances would have improved with proper gear and a helmet. Perhaps more experience too as he should have been much more keen to the surroundings. NH has a LOT of deer and the wee hours of the morning are the most dangerous time to be out and not looking for glowing eyes EVERYWHERE!

Very sad loss for a family.

What a sad story...they say you are supposed to learn from others mistakes (or your own), but yes I was amazed by the number of riders w/o a helmet in NH. In principle I think it's great that you have the freedom to choose whether you wear a helmet or not. However, knowing how much higher your chances of survival are if you're wearing one it's foolish not to wear a helmet and proper gear every time you're out riding.

Colorado helmet law: Mandatory helmets for 18 year olds as passenger or driver.

Over 18, nothing required, I think that is crazy.

I would say the group that wears helmets the least are cruiser bike riders.

Thats so sad. SC is a no helmet state and I have to stay on my friends to were one and a lot of them still don't. I just do not understand why anyone would ride without a helmet.

Jeeezzzz...

I dont know how you can not wear a helmet....I mean, if I don't have one on, I feel naked and the wind is way too noisy, along with every big o'l bug you hit while wearing a helmet could have been on your noggin. June bugs in June or July feel like baseballs. It's sad we lost another, but that risk was weighed when he decided to go without....

Colorado helmet law: Mandatory helmets for 18 year olds as passenger or driver.

Over 18, nothing required, I think that is crazy.

I would say the group that wears helmets the least are cruiser bike riders.

That is the same law here... 18 and over, your choice. Unfortunately too many make the wrong choice.

That is the same law here... 18 and over, your choice. Unfortunately too many make the wrong choice.

A single wrong choice should not be your last. Unfortunately it often is, that is the basis of the helmet laws in many jurisdictions. Up here that, and the fact that healthcare is publicly funded through everyones taxes. "If I am going to pay for your medical bills then you are going to wear a helmet" is the general logic. I don't have a problem with that.

My children will never ride without all the gear. They have always seen me wearing full gear, and when they go on the back of my bike they wear full gear or they don't ride. They understand why and agree. They are the ones that point out the fools in shorts and sneakers when we are out riding.

My sympathies to the family and friends of the unfortunate rider.

A single wrong choice should not be your last. Unfortunately it often is, that is the basis of the helmet laws in many jurisdictions. Up here that, and the fact that healthcare is publicly funded through everyones taxes. "If I am going to pay for your medical bills then you are going to wear a helmet" is the general logic. I don't have a problem with that.

why dont you just ban bikes ? people die on those things . :stirpot:

I`m all for atgatt and practice it . to anyone who feels the need to tell me I need to do something different than what I feel is needed ... piss off

I agree with you there, mate. If you're paying for your own healthcare then you can wear what you want, if everyone's gotta pay then you wear a lid! Simple.

Back