Newbie removing the AIS system (ivans blockoff plates)

Drinky

Right, so everyone said it was a pretty straighforward job removing the AIS system. I'm not a huge idiot tech wise, but I do get stuck a lot and have to find my answers before trying something myself.

So, heres my problem.
I ordered the ivans blockoff plates, came with the rubber bit to close up the airbox, put it on the side where the hose came off, fit perfectly, put on a hose clamp to make sure it won't come off; heres a pic;
4938d1293638000-newbie-removing-ais-system-ivans-blockoff-plates-dsc00424-custom-.jpg
So then, the plates and the AIS system. I hoped since no one realy mentions this anywhere, that it would be easily accessible. WELL ITS NOT.

Do I have to remove the radiator to access the stuff or what??
Its completly blocked, the frame bit above the flies blocks all access, so I have NO idea what to do next. I am considering leaving the entire thing in place and wait for the shop to do it when they adjust the valves and replace the spark plugs. help please :rmwl:

I found a similar thread that talked about lowering the radiator first ... from Crazy Biker I belive... I'll post the link when I find it!

Damn Lee .. your quick! Was just to post the link :D

I came across this yesterday researching this myself. I took the easy route for now but will probably go for the plates in the spring...

oh crap how did I miss that how to, thx for the link, good thing theres still plenty of snow outside, this is gonna take a while, LOL

thx a lot guys!

Damn Lee .. your quick! Was just to post the link :D

I came across this yesterday researching this myself. I took the easy route for now but will probably go for the plates in the spring...

after I posted this I looked into a easier way as well, the marble path.
But I don't like the idea of having a marble block something, even though I added 2(!) hose clamps to secure it.
I'll rather take 3 days to fix it than take short cuts.

ok this is turning into a disaster....
by pulling down my radiator like in the how to, it scraped along the lower bracket,
AND MY MY GODDAMN RADIOTOR IS LEAKING FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate myself for thinking I'd do this myself. I'm gonna pay the mechanic where I bought this a lot of money now cus im a total idiot. FCK!

ok this is turning into a disaster....
by pulling down my radiator like in the how to, it scraped along the lower bracket,
AND MY MY GODDAMN RADIOTOR IS LEAKING FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate myself for thinking I'd do this myself. I'm gonna pay the mechanic where I bought this a lot of money now cus im a total idiot. FCK!

Dude... that sucks! Sorry to hear that it just became a more expensive than necessary mod! I good radiator shop can seal that for very little money though. Shop around. You've got all winter. :D I'll bet you can get it done for about $25 - $40 and no one would ever know looking at it.

I intend to completely remove my radiator when that time comes. I will be flushing the entire system and replacing the coolant with Engine Ice.

Good luck!!

Confused

Ok I've read all the AIS block threads and I know why it needs to be done. My new slipon I just added hasn't started to display any decel pop, maybe because it's new. The part tha gets me is that I was talking to my bike shop about some SS brake lines, and mention to the guy that always works on my bike about blocking my AIS off, he said they have never done that at the dealership after adding Slipons and never experienced decel pop. Both himself and his wife have aftermarket exhaust on their bike without TB Plates or AIS blocks for a while now without any popping.

My questions:
1. Is the decel pop exclusive to the FZ1 or what?
2. Should I wait until I experience it before I do it? (let sleeping dogs lie approach)
3. Could prematurely blocking the AIS be what causes decel pop, since somefolks still experience it to some degree.
Ok that's it.

You'll like the engine ice, I'm glad I did it! How did you scrape the radiator that hard? When I did my AIS plates I undid the radiator and pretty much just let it hang there. I will recommend a SHORT Allen wrench, or a small socket wrench with a short Allen socket. Even with no radiator it's tight in there. Get used to effectively dropping the radiator kiddo, you'll be doing it to do your spark plugs as well....

My questions:
1. Is the decel pop exclusive to the FZ1 or what?
This will happen on just about every bike that has AIS.

2. Should I wait until I experience it before I do it? (let sleeping dogs lie approach)
If it ain't bothering you don't bother.

3. Could prematurely blocking the AIS be what causes decel pop, since some folks still experience it to some degree.
Ok that's it.
AIS is what causes the popping. It is actually doing exactly what it is supposed to and injecting clean O2 in to the exhaust to ignite the unspent hot hot fuel that did not fully combust in the engine. You only hear this rolling off the throttle after hard acceleration/ high RPMs.

Everyone will still experience it from time to time because guess what is outside your exhaust when that unspent hot fuel escapes? Thats right! Oxygen. If the by products of combustion are still hot enough when they leave the exhaust they can still spontaneously compust when reaching fresh air.

Last edited:
I can add to this as I just put on a GYTR Slip-on and just reving it in the garage to "hear it" I noticed the decel POP. From reading about AIS (mostly out of curiosity) I came across the fact it could cause the popping and it usually is not noticed until you install a slip on.

I promtly did the mod and decel popping is gone. Just like that...

@gtbigup1 ---- Some slip-on cans have a much less pronounced pop/gurgle on decel than others. The Two Bros though was quite bad on my bike to the point I couldn't stand it after just a couple days. Now, if you are always quite tame with the throttle, you likely will not notice it much at all. It is worse when you are in the high RPMs then totally let off the throttle, especially after down-shifting.

I am extremely surprised that your bike shop has never encountered this. We have people on all sorts of bikes with this as a "problem" and the AIS block being the solution. This includes the FZ6 and the FZ6R as well. I will say that it tends to be most prominent with any inline 4 cylinder and less noticeable with the v-twins.

Also, this happens ALL the time, even with the stock exhaust but the stock exhaust is designed to cover and conceal the noises.

hurting your radiator that bad is easy :p
the bracket that holds the bottom part is directly behind the radiator, and when ur pushing it down to get some room to be able to remove the screws that hold the 2 bits that you want to block/replace with new ones without a hole, you push it downward, and simply against the bracket. then when you push hard enough because you want more room because the entire operation sucks major balls, you can scrape it hard/long enough untill coolant starts dripping out.

Also my gass tank was pretty full, so because I didn't remove it and just put it up, eventually gass started to flow out through the overflow hose. so now my garage smells like gass, and so does my living room after I left the door open for a while, my radiator leaks, and I have only removed 1 of 4 screws because I could barely reach in there (big hands). then I went to a bar and had a couple of beers because I felt/feel like shit.

Lesson learned: if you're not sure about "fixing" something, let the professionals take care of it :p

@gtbigup1 ---- Some slip-on cans have a much less pronounced pop/gurgle on decel than others. The Two Bros though was quite bad on my bike to the point I couldn't stand it after just a couple days. Now, if you are always quite tame with the throttle, you likely will not notice it much at all. It is worse when you are in the high RPMs then totally let off the throttle, especially after down-shifting.

I am extremely surprised that your bike shop has never encountered this. We have people on all sorts of bikes with this as a "problem" and the AIS block being the solution. This includes the FZ6 and the FZ6R as well. I will say that it tends to be most prominent with any inline 4 cylinder and less noticeable with the v-twins.

Also, this happens ALL the time, even with the stock exhaust but the stock exhaust is designed to cover and conceal the noises.

Lol, I feel like I'm in Bike 101 for dummies :). Appreciate ur patience explaining this to me. I've been a helicopter mechanic in the Army for 15yrs but I don't know squat about bikes. I feel silly when I ask simple question that most folks are like "you din't know that"? Its a learning proceSs and one day I'll be able speak about these things to other newbie as if I wrote the book on it :). Thanks agin

Back