Newb question

I was aligning my rear wheel today when I noticed something odd. Or at least odd to me seeing as this is my first FZ1. When looking at the rear tire from the rear, the right side of the tire seems alot closer to the swing arm than the left side. About an inch gap on the right and 2.5-3 inches on the left. Is this normal or is something way out of whack. Thanks

I was aligning my rear wheel today when I noticed something odd. Or at least odd to me seeing as this is my first FZ1. When looking at the rear tire from the rear, the right side of the tire seems alot closer to the swing arm than the left side. About an inch gap on the right and 2.5-3 inches on the left. Is this normal or is something way out of whack. Thanks

See if you could snap a photo of what your talking about since it would be easier for us to see. I can't remember offhand if my rear was offset more to one side than the other.

These may not be the best pictures. But the right sidewall of the tire is only about an inch away from the top of the right side of the swing arm. The left has a lot more room.
IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

No worries. That is correct. The swingarm not symmetrical.
:+1:

Interesting. Never took notice on difference FZ1 has. It allows for clearance of chain, sprocket mass, shim, etc.
Are you aligning with good old sting method or have precise laser toys come down in price?

I did a quick visual alignment with the tool that clamps on to the sprocket and has a rod that extends forward. I believe its made by Motion Pro. What got me thinking something was off was when letting go of the bars the bike veers to the left substantially. I can counteract it by leaning way to the right. I don't believe this is normal either. Or maybe I am being too sensitive on my new to me bike.

Get yourself an inexpensive digital caliper and measure from the "axle block" back to the end of the swingarm valley on each side to make sure that they are both the same. Looking at the pictures it looks perfectly normal but you'd want to be sure.

Back