new to site, considering a 07 fz1.

S

stormsmack

hello, im new to the site i havent purchased yet, but I'm considering an 07 FZ1. i currently ride a kawasaki zr7s which is a half faired 750. im disillousioned by the lack of competition that kawasaki has in the racing scene. My girlfriend has expressed the want to ride w me more and the 750 just isnt up to the task as we are both "big boned". i was looking to get some real feedback from FZ1 owners. especially after reading the latest motorcyclist comparo between the FZ1 and the Z1000. to me they seem like they are in different catagories, and they really didnt shine a good lite on the FZ1. please enlighten me...

I have an 07 FZ1 and really like it. It has way more power than I'll ever need. I don't know how comfortable it is for someone riding in the rear though.

hello, im new to the site i havent purchased yet, but I'm considering an 07 FZ1. i currently ride a kawasaki zr7s which is a half faired 750. im disillousioned by the lack of competition that kawasaki has in the racing scene. My girlfriend has expressed the want to ride w me more and the 750 just isnt up to the task as we are both "big boned". i was looking to get some real feedback from FZ1 owners. especially after reading the latest motorcyclist comparo between the FZ1 and the Z1000. to me they seem like they are in different catagories, and they really didnt shine a good lite on the FZ1. please enlighten me...

This is an easy one. The FZ1 will do everything the Z1000 will do except quick-snap wheelies.

Of course, we are all proud of our bikes, and coming from the ZR7S you'll find yourself in an entirely new league.

For what it's worth, my wife was never on a bike before we got married. I showed her the Concours 14 as well as my FJR1300, she said they were too big and car-like. The Z1000 was a tiny perch for the passenger, and the FZ1 fit great. We're not a small couple, either, but we ride comfortably together all the time. After putting her on my CBR1000RR, she totally LOVED the FZ1.

In addition, the FZ1 has kind of a split personality. If ridden in the lower rpms and midrange, it's a fairly tame ride that's easily controllable and pleasant for the passnger. When ridden alone and tapping into all the meat above 9K rpms, you'll find yourself giggling and having to be careful while learning throttle control on the 1000cc bike. Don't expect a small difference between it and your ZR7S, expect a LARGE difference!

It's a very different animal than your Kawi, and in my opinion a great bike for all-around use as well as tearing it up when alone. It won't have any trouble pulling to adults around at all, either. You can pretty much ride it in different ways and make it be whatever you want it to be.

For what it's worth, I also own a 2007.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Brian

I would like to give my :2cents:

Duh!!!

lol I think you know whats right, that is why you came here. I wouldnt look any further.

Please stay clear of other forums. THey are likey to tell you the bike of thier forum is best. That is all lies.
The FZ1 is a bike in its own world. Too much fun to ride.

As far as power? I have never rode the 07 however the gen 2 only has 8 HP more than the Gen 1 and I do know that was a butt load of fun!!!
:thewave:

Watch out for Dave above!!! He's been known to ride a bike with a radical throttle problem which causes long dark streaks behind his bike! As far as I know, it has been diagnosed as a loose nut behind the wheel...

Looking forward to our next ride averaging 80mph over an hour big guy.

Seriously, if anyone knows fun on a bike, it's Earlzach, and probably me alongside laughing hysterically.

Watch out for Dave above!!! He's been known to ride a bike with a radical throttle problem which causes long dark streaks behind his bike! As far as I know, it has been diagnosed as a loose nut behind the wheel...

Looking forward to our next ride averaging 80mph over an hour big guy.

Seriously, if anyone knows fun on a bike, it's Earlzach, and probably me alongside laughing hysterically.

:smoking: Ok so you say Im a Loose Nut? At one point just around the 100 mph mark I was still loooking a your tag.

I would have to say the Yamah for performance requires a "loose nut" behind the wheel.:smoking:

And for sure I cant wait till the next ride.

Last edited:
sounds like this is the bike for me! i have to say the price is right which i will keep to myself for the time being. i have ridden my friends r1 several times so the power wont be a surprise, but it will take some getting used to. u 2 "loose nuts" make a very compelling argument for the pro. and kawasaki just doesnt have the bike im looking for. the z1000 is an awesome bike and if i was single it would be my choice, but yamaha has always made quality products and it just seems like it time for a change plus i will be keeping my zr7s and im already looking for a zx7r motor and some suspension upgrades so i can have a track day ride. keep em coming guys...

In all the time I've been on this forum I've only seen one guy who was disappointed with it. He came from something like an SV650 so he was riding a bike that was radically different and more powerful. We couldn't seem to talk him through it and I don't know if he kept it or not. For what it's worth I traded an '09 FZ1 for a new Kawi Concours 14. I love the new Kawi but miss that FZ1 terribly and this time tomorrow I may have an '07 FZ1 to join the Kawi.

At one point just around the 100 mph mark I was still loooking a your tag.

I don't recall any of that. I'm sure my wife knows nothing of it, either! And if such an event occurred, it was because I was concerned about the radical throttle response of the BEAST and I was running away so it didn't consume my bike.

:Liar:

Back on topic...

I think as Norm stated as well, you'll be happy with the FZ1 unless there is specifically another bike you lust after. Considering the uses you plan on, I think you'll be fine with the FZ1 for quite a while. It really works for us 2 up comfortably.

Last edited:
I picked up a Cobalt Blue (I'm told this is the fastest color) 2007 this past October. I'm a fat dude at over 300 lbs and it works well for me. I didn't get nearly enough time with her before winter set in, but I managed about 1500 miles. Mine came with a Corbin seat (love it), so I have no experience with the stock seat. My FZ1 also has slightly raised bars and aftermarket pegs without rubber (not too sure on brand).

I have loved this bike (of course this is a forum dedicated to this bike, so those who don't like it won't be here). The FZ1 seems to have the ability to adapt to many situations. It is a jack of all trades, master of none kinda bike. I will paraphrase what I have read in other threads... "If I could have many bikes, the FZ1 might not be one of them, but if I can have only one bike, the FZ1 is it."

As far as 2 up riding, I can't say too much, as my wife has her own Ninja 250R. I know it's not short on power, though. I will suggest you might want to invest in the Corbin (or another aftermarket seat set) with a backrest. I don't have the rear Corbin, but if I was carrying a passenger often, I would. It seems like a pretty straight shot off the back of the bike, especially with all the power.

As much as I love it, a few negatives are:

1. short range (somewhat poor gas mileage ~35mpg coupled with a small gas tank ~4.75 gallons makes for about 100-150 mile range);
  2. a very tall 1st gear (~86mph in 1st at redline);
  3. it's not a wheelie machine (this can be a plus too);
  4. it's hard to keep it out of the triple digits (mph)

Of course, this is the place to read about all the mods to do to this bike, and there are many. So a big plus is you can make it what you want it to be, but bone stock isn't bad.

I hope this helps you with your decision. I expect some pictures of what you get (even if it's not an FZ1) and I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you get what you get :chat:

For 2 up I would also look at the Suzuki 1250 bandit (even abs). Never ridden one but the bike looks more pillion friendly. Perhaps someone here has more input on the Bandit.

Never have (or plan to) ride my FZ1 two up, seems a bit cramped two me but then again I have a FJR which has plenty of room and grunt for two up.

I ride 2 up with my dad (my dad rides on the back lol) every weekend and I'm about 160 6'2" and hes 250ish and 6'2" and we can easily go for a couple hours and everytime i mean everytime we get off the first thing he says is how comfortable riding behind me is. Its real comfortable for me too. I have an 07 fz1 and with my pc3 and slipon and a few other mods there are not that many bikes that are truly faster. any faster and you can't really use it on the street anyways... Super smooth and well built in my opinion.. Love sitting upright :)

I bought an 07 this past August and I am simply thrilled with it. I had an 04 Z1000 and this is a much more useful motorcycle. I too and "well nourished" and the FZ1 does not seem to notice. My wife has her own bike and has only ridden with me once so I can't speak much about two up riding.

one of the reasons I came here was to judge how owners felt about their FZ1 and you guys are pretty emphatic about the FZ1. my girl is too intimidated to ride on her own, but im keeping the kawi for that reason. and I have made up my mind, im just waiting for my check to come in next week and she'll be in my garage. i also notice that there are some riders in Austin that belong to this forum, im always looking for a reason to ride 1341! as soon as i have secured her i will post up some pix of my permagrin!! oh and the bike too!

I bought a Corbin rear seat to accomadate the wife. There's heaps of room.

Mine is an 06, it's has a "Jeckle and Hyde" charactor. Under 6000 rpm is is mild mannered, great for comuting and riding around with the wife. over 8000 it's a race bike.

Last edited:
I have a '07 Fazer and i have owned a ZR7 and the Fazer craps all over the ZR7.

Not only is it faster, better handling and more fun, it is actually cheaper to run( major service at 40k instead of 12k) and more comfortable.

Well guys ya'll can welcome me proper. i got her. 07 fz1 w 7500 miles has some damage but i got to take the amount of the repair off the purchase price.

Back