new spring?

am I crazy? I have only put on 100 sum miles (winter time) on my new bike, but I cant help but think the rear of this bike feels kinda stiff. I have not driven it hard. yet under fast acceleration it almost feels like the rear does
not feel stable. A little inter net research has lead me to find replaceing
the rear shock is a popular modification. But I'm not a technical kind of guy,
I dont want some 1000 dollar adjustable I wont really know what to do with it spring thing. Is there an easy fix? Should I just let my fat friend ride it around to break it in? Or should I just let it be?

Hey Adam, how's it going?? Did the weather calm down over by you? I hope so. Spin hasn't adjusted his stock spring yet. He could probably get close to where he wants to be without having to swap out the spring. I don't know if he realizes that it's adjustable.

Overload with information -- from what I've read, the Gen II rear shock is pretty much garbage to begin with -- One thing that Yamaha should revisit in the next model.

I don't pay much attention to the hardware, so I have to go on what others have said about their rides and what they do to fix it (simple solution live with it or start looking for alternatives to fit your budget)

As for the weather, it threatened snow all day, and even had a little fall. Just cold and windy.

BroHay

Overload with information -- from what I've read, the Gen II rear shock is pretty much garbage to begin with -- One thing that Yamaha should revisit in the next model.

I don't pay much attention to the hardware, so I have to go on what others have said about their rides and what they do to fix it (simple solution live with it or start looking for alternatives to fit your budget)

As for the weather, it threatened snow all day, and even had a little fall. Just cold and windy.

BroHay

Wow, I didn't realize the shock was like that. I thought it was pretty much the same as a Gen1. Maybe the 300 dollar fix is the way to go then. Better than spending close to a G for a Penske or Olhin.

That sucks about the weather. Us North Easterners never associate New Mexico with snow and cold weather. We think of desert, cactus, and tumbleweeds. Thats amazing. I guess its the elevation plus the mountain ranges you got. We are almost here Bro. Another few weeks and we'll all be talking about the awesome rides we had.

I've put 2000 winter miles on my new 2008 and the rear feels as good as when I bought it. The rear is quite adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping. You can get an idea from page 3-16 of the owner's manual. Unless you're a 350 lb. riding maniac I can't believe you have worn out the rear shock already. It might be a good idea to get the wrenches out and check to make sure something hasn't loosened up. It's a whole lot cheaper than a new shock. If in ifact it is shot, I would think that would be a warranty issue. Some may think the shock isn't as good as others but if you had owned as many machines as I have, you'd think it is pretty good compaired to a whole lot of others. I've had some bikes that had a spring over a very poor shock absorber and called it suspension,.

I've put 2000 winter miles on my new 2008 and the rear feels as good as when I bought it. ......

Well, as I don't own a Gen II, I should not offer a opinion about that which I haven't experienced for myself. If it ain't broke, don't fix...

However, I threw my leg over a Daytona 675 this past weekend, and I had a feeling that I never experienced on the FZ. Actual suspension. Present shock is in need of a rebuild and not operating a full capacity -- I can only imagine when I get it back how the feeling will be to have a rear again.

BroHay

Back