New rider and new FZ1 owner

Hey everyone. I recently purchased an '03 FZ1 with 13k miles, some carbon fiber mods and an aftermarket exhaust. After getting it re-jetted (the guy changed the exhaust without re-jetting) and tuned up it runs like a dream. I wasn't planning on getting a liter bike as my first, but I got an amazing deal ($2800) and I'm a big guy (6'1, 250lbs...muscle not fat!...okay some fat) and I think I looked pretty stupid on most smaller bikes I tried.

I'm not some stupid teenager (26 for the record) and I have total respect for - and fear of - the throttle. So far my road trips have been without incident, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for someone starting out with such a powerful bike? I'm reading Proficient Motorcycling and I plan on taking an MSF course, but I don't have much money left over after buying all my gear. My father rides and he taught me the basics.

Anyway, here's a pic for you all to enjoy.

Man take that MSF course, it REALLY taught me a lot, as well as everyone I know that rides. All I can say since I too went with the Fz1 for my first bike is to take baby steps dude. I'm 29 and still want to have years ahead to ride.

Like I said dont get stupid and use your head. Try to save up and take that safety course cause it also reduces your insurance!

Also WELCOME to the forum!

Welcome to the forum....it is always great to add more Gen I owners! :tup:

I to am a first time bike owner with the FZ -- 10k miles later and I'm still :D. The first ride home was interesting at best, but it is now a distant memory. I'm 6'2, with more flab than muscle these days, and after sitting on a few bikes (other than Yamaha's) the ergos of the Gen I really fit me and my level of comfort.

Congrats on the purchase and depending upon your area in NYC, FZ1riderNY and CANONFUJI are in one of the 5 burroughs.

Adam

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. You've got a good looking ride there. Just remember, you have way more than enough power to get into trouble before you even know you're in trouble. You're half my age and almost twice my size so you have the heft to throw that thing around if you want to use your weight. Learn to massage it vs muscle it. When you get the urge to let the Genie out of the bottle do it in a place where you know the road and there isn't anything/one who is going to collide with you. It is amazing how today, for a few bucks, a brand new rider can get his hands on a bike with three times the power and handling than the rider can use. Be careful and enjoy the experience of learning.

Welcome. Nice bike. Love the exhaust mod. And yes, I force myself to take at least one course a year. (sometimes on the track, which is safer to let out the genie :D )

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I've booked an MSF class for mid-September (earliest I could get) and I'm really looking forward to it. For those who have taken it, is the classroom portion really boring? ;)

Great ride, the FZ1 is more bike than most of us needs, but since whenever was motorcycling anything to do with what you need it is all about what you want. I want a FZ1 a great bike.

The classroom session may not be as enjoyable as on the bikes but there is allot of great information in the session that will keep you safe.

I am a MTP instructor in the Great White North remember those training programs give you the ability to learn how to drive a motorcycle. Never ride beyond your skill level. Enjoy the ride and go slow especially around the curves until you learn to drive.

Hey everyone. I recently purchased an '03 FZ1 with 13k miles, some carbon fiber mods and an aftermarket exhaust. After getting it re-jetted (the guy changed the exhaust without re-jetting) and tuned up it runs like a dream. I wasn't planning on getting a liter bike as my first, but I got an amazing deal ($2800) and I'm a big guy (6'1, 250lbs...muscle not fat!...okay some fat) and I think I looked pretty stupid on most smaller bikes I tried.

I'm not some stupid teenager (26 for the record) and I have total respect for - and fear of - the throttle. So far my road trips have been without incident, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for someone starting out with such a powerful bike? I'm reading Proficient Motorcycling and I plan on taking an MSF course, but I don't have much money left over after buying all my gear. My father rides and he taught me the basics.

Anyway, here's a pic for you all to enjoy.

Welcome Meat, Good to have you on board! Congrats on the new ride. I would say to take short rides to start off, at times when traffic is at it's lightest. Like early Sunday mornings which I like to do. Another tidbit for you is that when your stopped at a light and your making a turn, I always shift quickly into second gear before the actual turn. I find it makes the bike much more manageable. By the way, where in NYC? I'm over in the Bronx.

Welcome Meat, Good to have you on board! Congrats on the new ride. I would say to take short rides to start off, at times when traffic is at it's lightest. Like early Sunday mornings which I like to do. Another tidbit for you is that when your stopped at a light and your making a turn, I always shift quickly into second gear before the actual turn. I find it makes the bike much more manageable. By the way, where in NYC? I'm over in the Bronx.
Thanks for the tip. I live in Staten Island, work in Brooklyn.

Congrats on a good looking bike and a good deal. I have nothing to add to the advice already given, as it is all on point.

Cool. My daughter is a junior at Wagner on Staten Island.

Telling a jacked 26 year old dude named Meatsicle where to find your daughter?

Might not be the best idea ;)

:doh2:

Back