New Race Tech Custom Shock

Jeffibus

New Shock & fork cartridge & springs time!

So I'll leave work early Monday and drop the bike off and I'll get it back 1-3 weeks later. It would only take a while because they haven't done the Gen 1 yet.

Pics and details to follow. Stay tuned.

Dropped off the bike late Monday, due to current backlog of work they aren't able to start measuring everything until this coming Monday and should have it all designed/built/tested by the end of next week.

I went for the full monty:

--new fork valves for adjustable compression and rebound, springs, bushings, etc.

--custom shock, piggyback reservoir, hi/lo compression, rebound, hydraulic preload

I can't wait.

labor remove/replace forks $50
labor rebuild forks $135
fork fluid $14.99 x2 $29.98
Fork Gold Valve 2C+2R FJR1300 $399.99
Fork Springs 26.7x34.5.315 1.0kg $109.99
KYB Oil Seal Pair 43mm `$8.38

total $743.34 (so far... still waiting on shock price)
Race-Tech-gold-valve-street.jpg

The usual valve cost most people see is around $199, the difference is that is typically only compression valves. There is a package to replace both compression and rebound with the adjustable gold valves is 399. Apparently this is not available on all models, but is available on the gen1.

The only step above is to go to complete cartridge replacement system for about $1200... but that is a bit beyond my needs.

I don't have the final pricing on the rear shock, but for the works it is generally around $1200, but with less features you can get them cheaper and upgrade it with more features at a later date.

Last edited:
labor remove/replace forks $50
labor rebuild forks $135
fork fluid $14.99 x2 $29.98
Fork Gold Valve 2C+2R FJR1300 $399.99
Fork Springs 26.7x34.5.315 1.0kg $109.99
KYB Oil Seal Pair 43mm `$8.38

total $743.34 (so far... still waiting on shock price)
Race-Tech-gold-valve-street.jpg

The usual valve cost most people see is around $199, the difference is that is typically only compression valves. There is a package to replace both compression and rebound with the adjustable gold valves is 399. Apparently this is not available on all models, but is available on the gen1.

The only step above is to go to complete cartridge replacement system for about $1200... but that is a bit beyond my needs.

I don't have the final pricing on the rear shock, but for the works it is generally around $1200, but with less features you can get them cheaper and upgrade it with more features at a later date.

You can get a Ohlins for around $1200 or less.

Yeah, I think all of the vendors are priced about the same, but the features vary a bit.

For example at

Traxxion Dynamics (US)
8983 2 way $1,025.00 (~$800 when on sale)
8987 3 way $1,345.00

Elka (Canadian)
2 way $1045
3 way $1145 /ea.

Ohlins (Swedish)
46PRCS (2 way) $1179
TTX36 $1440-$2200 (but I can't find one for an FZ1)

Nitron (UK)
?

Bitubo (It.?)
XXF31 ~$1200

RaceTech
IFP (non-reservoir) $699
Piggyback $949.99
Remote Reservoir $1099

--External Rebound Adjustment - add $100
--External Compression Adjustment - included on all external Reservoir shocks.
----Dual Low and High Speed Adjustments - installed on all piggyback and remote reservoirs, except the Drop Piggy design - included in price.
----Low Speed Adjustment Only - Available on the Drop Piggyback Reservoir design - included in price.
--Ride Height Adjustment (Includes the Rebound Adjuster) - add $200
--Hydraulic Preload Adjuster - Integral $199.99 or Remote $249.99.

**Edit: I added some more pricing for other shocks. I can update again if people find new pricing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think all of the vendors are priced about the same, but the features vary a bit.

For example at

Traxxion Dynamics (US)
8983 2 way $1,025.00
8987 3 way $1,345.00

Elka (Canadian)
2 way $1045
3 way $1145 /ea.

Ohlins (Swedish)
46PRCS (2 way) $1179

Nitron (UK)
?

Bitubo (It.?)
?

It comes down to where you want to spend your money and levels of customer service.
I guess that is true. I have a Traxxion cartridge in the front and a re-valved rear with a Hyperpro spring for my weight. It works great on or off the track.

The 8983 can typicay be had for about 800 bucks if you catch a sale. I went with Traxxion's base cartridge for the front about 500 bucks and had the shock and front sprung for me. It was worth every cent! Good luck with the new suspension!

Last edited:

For example at

Traxxion Dynamics (US)
8983 2 way $1,025.00
8987 3 way $1,345.00

Elka (Canadian)
2 way $1045
3 way $1145 /ea.

Ohlins (Swedish)
46PRCS (2 way) $1179

Nitron (UK)
?

Bitubo (It.?)
?

It comes down to where you want to spend your money and levels of customer service.

Bitubo XXF31 is going for around USD1200

Got the call yesterday that they were wrapping up and I went in this morning and picked it up.

Un-freaking-believable....

Previously the suspension felt... stock. The fork would squish down (whatever was left after the massive preload setting) and if you held the front break lever you could bounce the fork down and watch it bounce back up at what would seem to be a regulated rate equal to that of a butter churn.

The stock shock, at max preload, would compress until the spring would get tight then have very limited further compression and rebound was just about uncontrolled.

You've all sat on stock stuff... and this was stock stuff with 20k miles on it. Not fun and sometimes scary under heavy braking.

--

Enter new suspension... yipee! I was given all the old parts, tossed them into the Fam-Van with the wife as see took the parts and kids home. I was heading in, gear in arm to get the bike and be off to work for the day.

Head into the main office chat with all the front staff, sales and technicians. While they were making sure all my paperwork was complete Since this is the first shock for a gen1 fz1 they didn't have a part number for it yet... but that was soon figured out.

Then they took me out to the service garage where there were over 20 bikes in various stages of being suspended from hoists being fitted for suspension.

They gave me the run down on everything suspension wise (and let me know my brake pads were on the worn side.)

Rolled the bike out, chatted a bit more and I was ready to be on my way. The best advice given "treat it like a new bike, everything will be totally different from the way it was... if you need any adjustments just come on by."

Load up my tank bag, jacket and helmet... ready to rock.

The moment I jumped on the bike I thought I was jumping onto a $10,000 mattress. Just the right amount of give, while providing nice firm support. Balance front to rear was totally different from stock... the rear didn't sag like a flappy bottom... everything was perky. Awesome.

Off on the road, steering was far more precise and braking had really nice feel (even from 30 to 0mph... stoplight stuff... everything was better)

Jumped on the 91 freeway... traffic is moving 60-90mph... time for some decent riding... while not pushing any limits, the bike "wanted" to go faster... 95mph felt like 50mph.

I took it quick through some areas where I knew the road was notoriously rough and felt the high rate compression probably a bit too stiff... but that is an easy adjustment... maybe only letting off that by a hair or two.

20 mile ride, stupid happy. I tossed the keys to my boss, but he's too busy doing "work"... he said he'll give it a go at the end of the day.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Hydraulic pre-load adjuster (I didn't want the remote knob, since I don't want strangers turning it to see what it does)
IMG00135-20110318-1236.jpg

Rebound and ride height adjusters
IMG00132-20110318-1235.jpg

Low rate (big dial) compression adjusters
high rate (small dial) compression adjusters
IMG00138-20110318-1237.jpg

The fork, looks like a fork... you need x-ray vision to see the pretty bits inside
IMG00128-20110318-1234.jpg

Some minor tweaks for road conditions and that's it!

(This is California, why does it have to rain on the weekend? I thought winter was over.)

So, a month later, what are your thoughts on the rear shock? I have a Penske on order, but they seem to be backlogged, so I have contacted RaceTech, just waiting on a response from them

Back