New purchase?

MNGreg

Hello,
I currently have an FZ6R and am looking at upgrading to either a 2011 Ninja 1000 or the FZ1. I have test ridden both and love them both a lot (darn it).
I have done my research and found the pluses and negatives on each I think.
For the FZ1, it is the Foot Peg height which I would deal with for the rest of this season to see if I can adapt, and if not, try to get some peg lowerers over the winter season. I have done a bit of talking with Chad (Rabbitman) about the FZ1.

I think my main thing about the FZ1 is the MPG, because I do commute about 100 miles per day. In my research it seems like the average MPG on the Ninja 1000 will be between 39-42, and the MPG on the FZ1 is going to be about an average of 35-37.

I do like enjoying the power and having "fun" rides from time to time, but by no means am I typically heavy handed as I usually short shift on the FZ6R to keep RPMs low on my commutes to try and improve my MPG - and I don't want to risk tickets! :)

Can I please get overall input on how much MPG everyone here gets on the FZ1 (so I can get more than 1 persons average)? Also, Please give me a list of, lets say, *required mods... I am looking at the typical mods people do on this bike besides the exhaust, Projector Headlights and SS Brake lines?

I have found stuff about something called IVANS mods.. looks like exhaust and ECU related... I am looking at the 2013 and would like to be as close to "good" out of the box as possible..
Thank you!!

Welcome MNGreg,

My 06 FZ1 is basically stock with close to 21,000 miles on it. I always thought the liter bikes were overkill until I actually purchased one. The bike averages ~ 45 mpg on a 20 mile mixed freeway and city road commute. This is riding similar as described by you. Naturally if you get into the afterburners the mpg goes into the tank. Wow! What a ride when you get north of 8,000 rpm. I was pleasantly surprised as to what the FZ1 can do when just commuting on it. This bike was not purchased for fuel economy, but it does pretty good when taking it easy, considering what it is capable of. If memory serves correct this bike in stock trim puts out about 120 hp.

The 650cc Versys which was my previous bike averaged about 47 mpg and my 1200cc Sportster with half the horsepower gets ~ 49 mpg.

Last year I installed 1" lowering foot pegs which made a slight improvement for my 32"inseam. There are handlebar adapters available that move the bars back 1.25" and up 1" while keeping the stock control cables. That and a taller seat should open up the rider compartment and make it feel less cramped on longer rides.

The Gen II FZ1 has grown on me and will be going on a third riding season with no desire to replace it.

If you want to mod the bike there is a lot of great info here. Good Luck!

:welcome: to the forum. I bought my FZ1 before the Ninja 1000 was out. I don't know which I would choose now. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I love that the FZ1 is a bit tame in the lower RPM, but the top end hits HARD.

The must mods for me are as follows:

Cheaper stuff:

• Seat
  • Windshield
  • Levers
  • Tires (ASAP)

Expensive stuff:

• Rear suspension (#1)
  • Front suspension to keep it even
  • Exhaust
  • PCV
  • Headers (when able)

Everybody has their own thoughts on mods.

My experence with MPG can be found on fuelly as seen in my sig.

When I ride hard, I've gotten between 29-32 (usually 32) and when I take is super easy (shifting around 4k tops) I get around 38-42. I think I had one fillup around 46, but I don't believe it.

Good luck with which ever bike you get. I expect pictures and a review on whatever you get.

Hi & welcome
As bearcat said ,, my 06 with piper cross filter & slip on will also return me 45-48 mpg riding conservatly, but can drop to the mid 30s if your having a blast!! Great bike either way

Hello,
I currently have an FZ6R and am looking at upgrading to either a 2011 Ninja 1000 or the FZ1. I have test ridden both and love them both a lot (darn it).
I have done my research and found the pluses and negatives on each I think.
For the FZ1, it is the Foot Peg height which I would deal with for the rest of this season to see if I can adapt, and if not, try to get some peg lowerers over the winter season. I have done a bit of talking with Chad (Rabbitman) about the FZ1.

I think my main thing about the FZ1 is the MPG, because I do commute about 100 miles per day. In my research it seems like the average MPG on the Ninja 1000 will be between 39-42, and the MPG on the FZ1 is going to be about an average of 35-37.

I do like enjoying the power and having "fun" rides from time to time, but by no means am I typically heavy handed as I usually short shift on the FZ6R to keep RPMs low on my commutes to try and improve my MPG - and I don't want to risk tickets! :)

Can I please get overall input on how much MPG everyone here gets on the FZ1 (so I can get more than 1 persons average)? Also, Please give me a list of, lets say, *required mods... I am looking at the typical mods people do on this bike besides the exhaust, Projector Headlights and SS Brake lines?

I have found stuff about something called IVANS mods.. looks like exhaust and ECU related... I am looking at the 2013 and would like to be as close to "good" out of the box as possible..
Thank you!!

I do not get it....if you are concerned about mpg and short shift a FZ6 why would you even entertain buying a liter bike?

You will still get tickets on a FZ1 easier than with the FZ6 just because you can hit 70mph+ in first gear with the FZ1 without mods.

Fuel mileage can and will vary depending on terrain, weight of rider, aggressiveness in riding, weather and so many other factors. Generally you can expect anything from 27 to 45 mpg. I just fill it up when the gauge starts flashing and not concerned about the mpg. If I wanted high mpg I would ride a scooter.

As far as mods go I want to keep it stock and only put on a touring windscreen (GIVI), frame sliders (Shogun), louder horn (PIAA) and a SpeedoDRD. Also a full set of Cortech soft bags (tail, side and tank), a Rocket mini tailbag, a RAM GPS mount and an Interphone cell phone holder.

Last edited:

Have a look at the gen 1 FZ1 (01-05) for good range & 45+ MPG averages. Or the Honda 919.

I do not get it....if you are concerned about mpg and short shift a FZ6 why would you even entertain buying a liter bike?

I short shift the FZ6R when I am commuting for work, but on my pleasure rides on the weekends, I definitely get into higher RPMs now to have more fun. I am looking at the liter bikes for size purposes. Being I am 6'3-6'4, I am looking for something a little taller, and also some more *oomph at certain times! :)

Thank you for all the information though everyone.. I was going to be doing the trade this Friday either for the Ninja or the FZ1, but that is now on hold as of yesterday. It felt like my back brake was dragging on the FZ6R and I brought it into the shop, turned out that there is a problem with the caliper and they have to backorder the part that's needed for a week or two. Thankfully, I guess the YES Warranty is covering this!

I would go with a 1-liter bike over a 600cc with that commute. Your MPG will be lower than a 600c for sure. I would give the FZ-9 a solid look too. Probably as light as a 600cc with 1/3 more HP and torque.

Back