New perspective

I've been riding the desert canyons and hillsides for the past month and a half on my Naked Goldwing instead of my 08 FZ1. I've re-learned the ability to enjoy two wheels without laying the bike on it's side or grinding the pegs on the pavement. I've been a lover of two wheels since my first bike back in 1965 and it wasn't any go-fast ride either. It must be something like the joy pilots get from flying even though they're not in the cockpit of a fighter doing the speed of sound. It has even got me wondering if I could be just as happy with a more standard or even a small cruiser like the new Honda 750 Shadow. I guess I suffer (if you can call it that) from the been there, done that syndrome. It's somehow less interesting and fun to have to go fast or quick and do the pretend to play racer guy when I can get a big kick out of just flying down the road like a bird, in no particular hurry and no demands to test the machine carrying me to........nowhere. Got some more thinking to do before I get back to the FZ around the end of March. May have a first rate 08 FZ1 up for sale.

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I find myself out for "just a cruise" more often than not and not out looking for the next apex to roll-on. But I still enjoy both. While I do not think I'd give up the FZ1, I'd also like to have a nice big cruiser that will take me on tour once in a while when I know canyon carving isn't in the plan.

I hear you. When you have learned to appreciate motorcycles, just being out on two wheels is enough most of the time. After the Winter we've had I can't wait to start riding again. Even a ride on a 50cc moped is starting to look attractive...damn cabin fever :D.

The other half

I had a chance to ride a friend's 750 Shadow a few years ago while I was still riding my FZ 600. It had a tiny little tach beside the Speedometer. It was useless in more ways than one, you just did not need it, the bike let you know if you had over revved. I found the Shadow completely uninspiring and yet it was a bike and I enjoyed it for that alone. I used to have a cruiser and loved it in it's day. I had not yet been on a true performance machine. I could say the same again about my last bike having now moved UP to the FZ 1. The FZ can be so much to so many. You don't have to get your tires cooked like VA's to enjoy this machine, you can get just as big a grin cruising casually along enjoying the scenery. Then you can go to the local track and ride like your ass is on fire the same day if you want!
Myself I can not imagine going to any lesser a machine when this one will transform into anything I need it to be all the while lookng like a super model, all lean and sultry....Oh Baby.

Don't do anything rash Lonerider you might miss your supermodel.

I heard its going to get up to 40 degrees here in NY on Friday. Could this be the upswing I've been looking for? Last year wasn't as bad because I had just bought the bike and was just getting used to it. This year however, is unbearable! Cabin Fever is nothing compared to what I have. It's a full blown plague!!!:shame:

I've been riding the desert canyons and hillsides for the past month and a half on my Naked Goldwing instead of my 08 FZ1. I've re-learned the ability to enjoy two wheels without laying the bike on it's side or grinding the pegs on the pavement. I've been a lover of two wheels since my first bike back in 1965 and it wasn't any go-fast ride either. It must be something like the joy pilots get from flying even though they're not in the cockpit of a fighter doing the speed of sound. It has even got me wondering if I could be just as happy with a more standard or even a small cruiser like the new Honda 750 Shadow. I guess I suffer (if you can call it that) from the been there, done that syndrome. It's somehow less interesting and fun to have to go fast or quick and do the pretend to play racer guy when I can get a big kick out of just flying down the road like a bird, in no particular hurry and no demands to test the machine carrying me to........nowhere. Got some more thinking to do before I get back to the FZ around the end of March. May have a first rate 08 FZ1 up for sale.

Maybe after that first ride of the season on the FZ, with the wonderful feeling of the wind, the sound of the bike, the smells in the air, and the awsome handling, power and control, you may just change your mind about selling. :D

Your suffering withdrawals, speed and power have a way of permanantly altering your thought process. The sun will come, the green will return, watch for the daffodils and tulips, when you see them you won't be far off from riding time. Snap out of it MAN....... your remembering good times, but those good times were not had in this weather. One day you will start up your FZ and warm up the bike, throw a leg over it, flip the kickstand, click first, let out the clutch and it'll all come rushing back as to why you like this bike so much........no other bike can or will replace it. Don'cha know....:icon_beer::sinister::shine::yes:

Y'all are killin' me...down here 40* is COLD!

And if ya want a different perspective from the FZ, try a 38 HP supermoto.
My DR-Z400SM is slow, but fun as hell in the twisties.

Th SM is one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned.

Actually, it's one of the reasons I bought the FZ1. I wanted something comfortable that I could do some longer rides on without my wrists hating me for a week.

I don't see why you'd sell it though. The bike will only go as fast as you tell it to, you don't HAVE to be laying it in corners to enjoy it. There are times when I'm in the mood to just enjoy the rush of the acceleration, there are times when I just want to cruise, there are times when I want to throw it around a few turns. The FZ can take whatever mood I'm in and not complain.

Go with your heart.

I still have about another month to ride the GoldWing around Arizona. I ride every day because it's my only transportation other than the motorhome. It's interesting to be riding a bike that was considered the most advanced touring rig thirty years ago which I've reduced, or advanced if you want to call it that, to a naked so all the frills have been removed. I know when I get home and take the FZ for it's springtime first run, that rush when I pull the trigger may change my mind but I still appreciate riding for the pure joy of being able to feel the wind in my face, the sound of the motor in my ears, and a friend at my side doing the same thing. When it's in your blood no explanation is needed.

Why change?

The FZ can be anything you want it to be. Its the do it all bike. Cruise, tour, flip the switch, carve a canyon. I challenge a 750 shadow to do that. I'm 51 and just couldn't go back to a cruiser. Besides I get real tired of the Gypsy Joker wanna be tough ass look. Any way 2 cents.

After riding a goldwing, I would imagine that the FZ1 would be very different. I would suggest getting on your FZ1 a few times and riding it a decent amount before you decide to sell it. That is what I am doing with mine. I sold an FJR and bought the FZ1 at a good price thinking I could sell it if I wanted to and make a little money. I had it out on CL and had some interest in it and decided to pull it off CL and give it a chance when the weather gets better. Regardless of what you decide I think bikes are an interesting experience. At one of the local bike shops I have spoken to a particular sales guy that is pretty cool. He told me that since I had an FJR and had ridden it a good amount and then sold it, I had taken out a bunch of bikes from consideration for a future bike since the FJR is so nice and I would not like so many other bikes. Good luck in your decision, maybe you are rich and can afford several bikes, hopefully that is the case :)

Back