New owner has some questions...tps, start, and idle

I recently became the proud owner of a clean 2005 FZ1 with 22k on the odometer. I have some questions about it though having now enjoyed the bike for a week or so. First during a cold start is it normal for the bike to Rev to 4k then come back the idle on its own when it first fires? I usually don't touch the throttle to get the bike to start when cold just use the choke. Next should my idle be more stable than it is. At first start it will usually idle at 1k after I am able to shut the choke off. After thuroughly warming up idle will come up to 1400 or so. Normal? Lastly I have been doing some tune up stuff. It has had sea foam in the tank for the first two fill ups. I decided to check the tps resistances and setting per the manual. The overall resistance was ok but during the sweep I never saw a reading down to .4k ohms as specified. I tried to set the tps sensor in the tach set mode but don't have the travel in the slots to rotate the sensor enough to get the 5k rpm reading. It is sitting right at the edge. Is it time for a new tps? I am hesitant due to them cost as much as they do. $153 is the best price I can find for one. Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated. Also if there is any other tune up type maintenance you suggest doing I am all ears. I am aware I have a valve check coming up soon.

First let me say Welcome, and congrats on your GenI. Are you saying that the bike revs initially to 4K when you start it with the choke on? If so, I remember when I had my 01' it would rev to 3K or so with choke, and raise slightly until I started lowering the choke. Mine would definitely idle below normal until fully warmed up as well. I would wait until your fully warm and adjust your idle to about 1300. As for the TPS, we don't know much about the bike's history to make any calls either way. I will say that being from Maine, and assuming the bike came from the northeast as well, it's probably been laid up for the winters and maybe a bit longer than bikes south of you. If it were me, I would definitely "synch" the carbs first and foremost. It may be time if it hasn't been done for a while. Other than what you are asking about, how does the bike run?

If I am remembering correctly the bike will rev to 4k for a second any time it is started as in cold with choke and warm without choke but will settle quickly when warm. The revs will also jump from say 2000 rpm idle on 1/2 choke up to 4000 rpm if i shift out of neutral. I will check sync on the carbs sometime this week. As far as the bikes history goes I am the second owner and it is completely stock except for a aftermarket windscreen. It appears to have been well maintained.

The bike runs well overall and starts easily. It may be surging very slightly during cruising, though I am not convinced it is not just buffeting I am feeling.

I got the carbs sync'd tonight. Numbers 1 and 2 were a bit off from each other but once balanced were close to 3 and 4. The idle smoothed a bit and increased once the carbs were all sync'd so I was able to turn the idle adjust in the direction the tps wanted to go to get the correct setting but it wasn't quite enough. The tps check still reads 10k. I ordered a new tps to see if that helps this rev at start up. I comfirmed it will jump to 4kplus at start even on a warm engine with now choke and no throttle input. I would like to fix ithis because I kind of feel like a tool when my bikerevs up as it roars to life in parking lots.

I was checking out videos on youtube of FZ1's starting and what my bike is doing doesnt seem to be common.

I got the carbs sync'd tonight. Numbers 1 and 2 were a bit off from each other but once balanced were close to 3 and 4. The idle smoothed a bit and increased once the carbs were all sync'd so I was able to turn the idle adjust in the direction the tps wanted to go to get the correct setting but it wasn't quite enough. The tps check still reads 10k. I ordered a new tps to see if that helps this rev at start up. I comfirmed it will jump to 4kplus at start even on a warm engine with now choke and no throttle input. I would like to fix ithis because I kind of feel like a tool when my bikerevs up as it roars to life in parking lots.

I was checking out videos on youtube of FZ1's starting and what my bike is doing doesnt seem to be common.

Well, glad to see that you got the carbs done. As for the TPS, it's been so long since I had the GenI, I don't remember how the setting goes. It may be that it's out of spec. Let us know what the outcome is when it's done. Also, I sent you a PM.

The bike has a new quirk. When hot out it will no idle down below 2k on its own. I have to slip the clutch to bog the engine and get it to return to 1300 or so rpm idle. I cleaned the carbs over the weekend but that has only minimally helped all the odd idling habits. The tps will now set correctly but it is still the old one. I'm hoping it is still acting up and causing the issues and the new one will fix it once it arrives. If not I'll probably try the Ivan kit but I don't really want to hurt mpg any. The bike runs ok otherwise.

The bike has a new quirk. When hot out it will no idle down below 2k on its own. I have to slip the clutch to bog the engine and get it to return to 1300 or so rpm idle. I cleaned the carbs over the weekend but that has only minimally helped all the odd idling habits. The tps will now set correctly but it is still the old one. I'm hoping it is still acting up and causing the issues and the new one will fix it once it arrives. If not I'll probably try the Ivan kit but I don't really want to hurt mpg any. The bike runs ok otherwise.

Well, just to put your mind at ease, when I had my GenI, I had Ivan do the jet kit himself and afterwards my mileage didn't suffer at all. I was still getting 41/43 mpg if I rode nice.

Thanks for that piece of info. I half wish I waited to pull the carbs after I bought an Ivans kit but I was hoping a clean would sort them out without needing to spend more money. Pulling the carbs again shouldn't be bad now that I know all the steps and everything is already nice and clean. I am still hoping the new TPS helps a bit.

I work on one carb at a time. Carefully dismantle it, scrub each part with a toothbrush after soaking with b-12 Chem tool. Rinse with more carb cleaner and blow everything off with compressed air. I use paper towels to wipe residue of the various needles and other parts. Then reassemble with care and move on to next carb. Organization and a clean place to work are key. Studying the service manual helps to spot all the little seals that are easy to loose. A JIS screwdriver set is a good idea as well as some sort of impact driver to loosen screws. I would recommend buying new gaskets and orings for the carbs especially if you don't have a lot of experience rebuilding carbs. You are highly likely to damage them while disassembling and today's wonderful gasoline leaves a hard to remove chalky residue on them. It just makes things easier and less time consuming to use new gaskets. I wish I had gotten new one but I was being impatient.

Back