New Owner 06 FZ1, FCE, Slip on, PC3, Airbox mod and K&N - map recommendation?

Hey guys, I recently picked up an 06 FZ1 out in PA. (I live in NJ). The bike was mostly stock other than a K&N filter and some holes drilled in the airbox. It also has the Yamaha performance slip-on.

When I was test riding the bike, I noticed the throttle hesitation/snatch and quickly found that Ivan's FCE would take care of it. So I ordered it and installed it before the bike was even registered. It definitely helped a lot.

My question is, I'm awaiting delivery of a PC3. My hopes are to find a map for these mods that will smoothen it out. While riding into NYC the other night I let off the throttle at about 8k and jumped back on, and noticed hesitation. Granted the bike was hot ~212' which may have exemplified the problem, but it was noticeable.

So with the GYTR Slip-on
PC3
K&N filter and airbox mod
FCE
02 Sensor Eliminator - on its way.

What would you recommend as a good map? Any experience on this year with these mods?

a lot of the maps I see show gutted cat, which I'm not overly fond of doing.

Disclaimer - I apologize if this topic has been covered, I tried searching and there wasn't any definitive answer on exactly this question that I could find. I've downloaded Duke's maps and was planning on playing around with those, but I thought I'd ask as well. First post flame!

I have to say I love the bike. I had a vulcan 1500 I recently sold, and purchased a new 06 R6' back in 05. Loved the bike and 17k redline, but hated the lag of the 600. This 1000 boogies! I also come from a motorcross/harescramble background. I ride a 11' Husky WR300 (2 stroke plated) and a few years ago had an Aprilia SXV550. I'm very happy with my purchase so far and the FZ's 'total package'. Minus the few quirks which I'm hoping to iron out, I plan on having this bike for a LONG time.

Cheers

Hi and welcome
As loosenut says ivans flash seems to be the deal ,, I have an 06 too and for me I just played with some maps from dyno jet till I found one that works nice with reasonable fuel consumption ,, I don't have an fce but do have a later ecu fitted witch helps, some days depending on air temp I find the throttle more jerky than others , If I'm honest I find it annoying you have to do these mods to correct something that should be right in the first place ,,

Thanks guys. I didn't realize Ivan was so close to my house. ~45 min ride. I'll give him a shout when the open back up in 2 weeks. Thanks for the suggestions. I feel the same way - there should have been a recall or some other fix offered by Yamaha. Big difference from the auto industry...

since you're in jersey go hit up Rockland County Motorcycle it's right up the road a bit. get a custom fuel map along with an ecu flash and your bike will be properly sorted. get a fuel map made on a dyno, canned maps are not, almost never, good enough

since you're in jersey go hit up Rockland County Motorcycle it's right up the road a bit. get a custom fuel map along with an ecu flash and your bike will be properly sorted. get a fuel map made on a dyno, canned maps are not, almost never, good enough

^^^^^ Do this. ^^^^^

Get the ECU flash and then the custom Dyno tune. I strongly second that.

Back