05Yam

My first bike was a 88 Honda Hurricane CBR1000 to test the road on a bike to see if i like it. Well I'm in love and sold it I will be picking up my 05 Fz1 This Friday its the Yamaha blue, 7,8XX miles for 4,700. So far i have been reading posts and learning a lot of tips and tricks for maintenance of the motorcycle. Looking forward to learning much much more on how tweak the Yamahas
:sport12:

Welcome. In my opinion your paying way too much. I just got an 06 for under 4k with less miles. If you haven't locked in that deal i would keep looking. If your OK with that deal then so be it but if I were you I would wait. You should be able to get the same bike for under 4,000

Welcome. In my opinion your paying way too much. I just got an 06 for under 4k with less miles. If you haven't locked in that deal i would keep looking. If your OK with that deal then so be it but if I were you I would wait. You should be able to get the same bike for under 4,000

The next thing i found was the same year fz1 with 37K miles on it for 3,950. but nothing in a 1000cc around. Im fine with it it will be paid in full in 2 months then the mods/upgrades come.:noworries:

Last edited:
two vendors....

PJ Parts -- for bling (Rizoma/Mivv) and maybe even some leftover invetory that was 'hot' back when the Gen I was the only Gen.

Traxxion -- for suspension

The above are recommendations, and by no means the only source -- but it is a good place to start.

I'd love to have black frame/engine and may very well find myself hunting for an '05, but for now, I'll have to DIM (do it myself) with black paint....

Adam

How do i tell if mine is a Gen I or II? just curious.

two vendors....

PJ Parts -- for bling (Rizoma/Mivv) and maybe even some leftover invetory that was 'hot' back when the Gen I was the only Gen.

Traxxion -- for suspension

The above are recommendations, and by no means the only source -- but it is a good place to start.

I'd love to have black frame/engine and may very well find myself hunting for an '05, but for now, I'll have to DIM (do it myself) with black paint....

Adam

By the frame.
Gen 1 is rock-solid frame (steel).
Carbs.
Gen 2 is robotic nice look and as fragile.

tis a VERY clean bike,

I've always had a soft spot for the Yammie blue.

basic maintenance is key. Fluids. Proper chain maintenance. You'll have yourself many enjoyable, trouble free miles.

Adam

as soon as i get it i think I'm going to go thru it and change all the fluids/filters, Is there anything i should check out while completing these services?

Thats not too bad a buy; offer him 4,500 drive out, bet he will take it...lol...
I gave 3,300 for a 02 with 12k miles on it and real happy with it.....In two weeks i have changed the oil twice.....did the oil and filter again today...went with the mobil 1 synthetic racing oil 10w-40, and that was the bikes happy oil.....gonna change out coolant tomorrow....I'm an older guy, 56 and this bike will take care of my need for speed probably the rest of my riding days.....
The Gen 1 bikes are great ones...When you buy one of these, it's all about the milage on it....You find one with low milage like yours and you will be very happy with it.....The engines are a little noisy with chain and 20 valves...etc...excellent power....but not quite as fast as the fuel injected Gen 2 bikes....

as soon as i get it i think I'm going to go thru it and change all the fluids/filters, Is there anything i should check out while completing these services?

If your fork seals are not leaking, you may want to change the fork oil too. Also, like Adam said, check the chain wear and adjustment. With such low miles you should be good with just maybe cleaning it and re-lubing. Just make sure you do it after you've run it a little. It's better to do it when the chain is warm.

Check for tire rot If it's been sitting for a long while. It looks as if it's been kept out of the sun and elements so they may be good as well.

I would run at least 5ozs. of Seafoam through the first two tanks of gas. It will clean the carbs and gas tank. These carbs are notorious for gumming up after sitting for a while.

Make sure that the battery they are giving you is a fairly new one.

I'd lube the cables as well. Brake, clutch, and choke cables.

You should be okay after that. Just remember that even though the bike looks beautiful, it can be worse to have a bike just "sit" than to have one thats been running regularly.

Last edited:

Some of you guys need to give us a break...if I could find a '06 for under 4K I'd buy it too. You need to look at what the ride cost in our neck of the woods, not yours....
I shopped for 9 months for my '02, and ended up buying mine 1 1/2 years ago off ebay sight unseen with 7k miles, from michigan and it had been lightly down for 2200 shipped..cost me 400 in parts to get it back on the road. I even bought my '85 VMax off ebay sight unseen 3 years ago from Long Island.

Yes he may be paying a tad too much, but he is buying it from a dealer, private would probably be 1k less.
Take a look at the South Florida Craigslist...they are still asking over 3500 for low millage '01s and '02s...stock.

Not ditchin ya....just letting you know.
BTW...welcome, and hold on.........

Will do i had him start it up while i was there, it fired right up, The tires looked good, I seen some one selling needles full of oil for the cables, (nice idea). already got the seafoam. Ill check on how to change the fluid in the forks right after i buy the manual.

It might be a tad much but it seems i cant find one around 05 around 7481 miles for 4700, Ive found a 02 with 15k for 4900 with some mods to it, In the end im happy with what ive spent for what im getting. it took me 4 months of saving to get and pay off the motorcycle i like and fits me, im 6'5" 190-200Lbs depending on what i had for lunch.

I think I am going to try some of that seafoam...Getting a small amount of hesitation before my arm sockets are pulled loose....lol....Have heard nothing but good talk about the stuff.....

I think I am going to try some of that seafoam...Getting a small amount of hesitation before my arm sockets are pulled loose....lol....Have heard nothing but good talk about the stuff.....

Not to hijack the thread but I always make it a point to use 5oz. of Seafoam every 5th tankfull just to keep things clean. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Back