NAPA121

Hi Guys,

As my bike has been sold I am now bike shopping for a new 2010 bike:-

The short list is:-

Kawasaki Z1000
Yamaha FZ1
Handa CB1000R
Triumph Speed Triple

I had a Kawasaki test ride booked at Laguna Maidstone (UK) last Saturday and although the bike felt nice round the twisties and had plenty of power the brakes where not up to much and there was quite a bit of vibration when at the upper end of the rev range (my nuts were going numb :eek:)

Looking forward to testing a few more bikes and wondered if you guys could give me any tips/heads up to prepare me for my FZ1 test ride?

Thx Guys.

Neil

Welcome Neil!

The FZ1 is a well-rounded bike that can go and do almost anything you wish to do with her. This bike will cruise, tour, track, carve and go flat-out fast. The ergonomics of the FZ1 is what I'd call a Standard. Sit up with handlebars and a slight lean forward. These are built more for top-end riding and she changes into another beast at about 7500 RPMs where she loves to live, from there to red-line. The FZ1 is very easy to maintain. If you are looking for a hole-shot bike or one that can stunt, this isn't the bike.

I own a 2009 and find no issues with buzziness or vibrations that cause issues with any parts of my body. :D

What is a typical ride like for you? Will this be a commuter or a weekend fun bike or a mix of both?

Recommended upgrades for someone who will track the bike:
  1. Rear shock (Ohlins or Penske)
  2. Heavier fork oil or new front springs
  3. modified sub-throttle plates (free)
  4. Full exhaust system to replace CATs and free up the air flow
  5. rearsets to raise the pegs and set them back
  6. steering stabilizer
  7. 5 - 8 mm drop in the front legs
  8. better tires than stock!

Hope this information helps but feel free to ask the Gen II owners any specific questions you'd like an answer to.

Happy hunting!

Thx for the info Eric,

I'll be using the bike for all sorts...Commute to work (occasionally), Fun rideouts on the twisties, a couple of short tours a year between 2 and 4 days at a time and a couple of track days.

My Buell XB12Ss did everything well (all except topend where she run out of legs) so looking for a good all rounder.

Cheers

The only time I have had trouble was when the front would get light or possibly just off the ground and it would give a little shake when it sets down. I also don't hammer the throttle comming out of corners.

Under what conditions is this needed? I haven't experienced any headshakes with my '09. I don't hammer WOT out of corners either, more of a progressive rollon.

For the simple reason that he wishes to do track days. I have and still do run the bike WOT out of corners and it can produce a severe head shake. This is even more predominate if you raise the forks in the triple. Since he wishes to do track days and if he runs in the 10k RPM range, well, it is nothing more than a safety valve... like insurance. You buy it and just hope you never need to use it. :D

I completely understand those of you who have not found the need to install one and that is easily 85+% of the time this bike is put to the test. ;)

For the simple reason that he wishes to do track days. I have and still do run the bike WOT out of corners and it can produce a severe head shake. This is even more predominate if you raise the forks in the triple. Since he wishes to do track days and if he runs in the 10k RPM range, well, it is nothing more than a safety valve... like insurance. You buy it and just hope you never need to use it. :D

I completely understand those of you who have not found the need to install one and that is easily 85+% of the time this bike is put to the test. ;)

Like you said it's insurance. And by the way I've experience head shake in a straight line winding out second gear. All it took was the front end to be light and then hit some ripples in the road. This led to severe head shake at about 100 MPH...not fun :eek5:

Like you said it's insurance. And by the way I've experience head shake in a straight line winding out second gear. All it took was the front end to be light and then hit some ripples in the road. This led to severe head shake at about 100 MPH...not fun :eek5:

I've been debating on getting one or not for just that same reason. It's just alittle unnerving to feel the front lift shake and set down while shaking :tdown:

What's amazing is that I can't get a test ride on a FZ1-N?

Tried lots of Yamaha dealers and none have an FZ1-N that I can test.

Even phoned Yamaha UK and spoke to their marketing dept and the closest was Bournemouth UK (I am based DA15) which is a good couple of hours away.

When I spoke to Yamaha UK they stated lots of people buy without test riding....I certainly don't.

Need to rethink my bike choice I think.

What's amazing is that I can't get a test ride on a FZ1-N?

Tried lots of Yamaha dealers and none have an FZ1-N that I can test.

Even phoned Yamaha UK and spoke to their marketing dept and the closest was Bournemouth UK (I am based DA15) which is a good couple of hours away.

When I spoke to Yamaha UK they stated lots of people buy without test riding....I certainly don't.

Need to rethink my bike choice I think.

You'd have a tough time here. The VAST majority of dealers here do not have any provisions for test rides at all. If they know you as a long time customer and ONLY if they have a used one on the lot, will they think of letting you ride it.

I buy all my Yamaha bikes without a test ride. I trust them. :tup:

Everyone here will tell you the FZ1 is great. It's an FZ forum. I bought my 2006 Gen II used with 3500km on the clock, the guy aked me if I wanted a test ride, I said "no thanks, I'll take it though". I got a wierd look, I bought it on Yamahas' reputation and the reputation of the bike. As mentioned a shock upgrade and some minor sorting/setting up is needed if you want to get serious, but great allrounder and good value.

It really wasn't until the last 5Kmiles that the bike started to grow on me (10,3xx mi on it now). The first half was getting to know one another, and figure out things like seating position, how this particular bike likes to be shifted [smoothly], getting the right windscreen, and lately how to better corner.

That first ride of ~30 miles, from the dealership to home was rough. I had a hard time reaching the clutch, the bike felt loose and twitchy. The width of the bars seemed way narrow than what i came from (c14). Can all of these things be sorted out in a test ride of 5-10 miles (if even that much)... unlikely.

Ultimately, it really depends what you're looking for, and being content with getting some portion of. I long for the trunk space of a goldwing, but do few multiday multistate rides, so it's not really justifiable to get one [yet]. I wanted something lighter and more nimble handling than the pig the c14 is (#700 wet without the rider).

Good luck!

Hey very body. I'm wondering if someone could help me out. I want drop down on the front sprocket, how many teeth should I drop? How much more throttle response will I get and power?

Brian

peabody mass

OK Finally got a test ride booked on the FZ1 on Sat 11.30am at the bike shop in Faversham

Yamaha Dealer in Kent – New and Used Yamaha Motorcycles

Fingers crossed I like it.

Hi mate, i have ridden all the bikes you are looking at and i own a 06 FZ1. I looked at the same bikes when i was in the bike market. I really liked the Speed Triple but after test riding one i didn't like the motor especially the gearbox, the handling was ok but and the finish in areas is poor. Forget about the Z1000 unless it is the latest model. The CB1000R was my favourite out of the box. The Honda had decent handling, brakes, motor felt good, excellent build quality, a complete package from stock. The biggest problem with the Honda was it is too $ and it looks boring compared to the Yamaha. I have upgraded the suspension, brakes and unleashed the engine (dynoed 153hp@wheels). I got the FZ1 bike cheap stock with low km's so i justified spending the $ on the upgrades. Most of the stuff i have picked up off Ebay and a few other auction sites at 1/4 of rrp, there are loads of aftermarket and 2nd hand parts available. The best thing with the Yamaha is there is a good following for these bikes and great online sites with heap with advice and problem solving. If it was me go for the Honda or Yamaha. Good luck with shopping.

I've tried a couple of the bikes you've mentioned there and went for the FZ1!

The CB1000R just felt like it was lacking in a few ways, the engine felt flat and the suspension wasn't great.
The Triumph was, IMO very pricey for what you got. By the time you'd added a couple of options to improve the looks, it was getting expensive!
The Z1000, IMO, is a hideous looking bike so I didn't even bother with test riding it.

The FZ1 seemed to be the best of the bunch.

As Yamaha have bumped the prices up this year, there may well be a few 09 models still kicking about for less money. George White's had a few when I called them a couple of months back.
West London Yamaha might be worth a try as they had an FZ1n in stock when I was there last. They can usually do a pretty good deal on them too.

Enjoy your test ride :)

Hey very body. I'm wondering if someone could help me out. I want drop down on the front sprocket, how many teeth should I drop? How much more throttle response will I get and power?

Brian

peabody mass

Hi Brian. You should be asking this over in the mod section. ;) What Gen bike are you on? Kick off a thread over there and we'll help you out. :tup:

to the OP: Great work finding a test ride! Well done! I hope you like it!

Yea, the FZ1 is a great all around bike. Here in the US we don't even get the CB1000R.

I did get to take a short ride on the new 2010 Z1000 and was impressed by it. I wouldn't say that it's "better" than my FZ1 now that it's modified. However, aside form the styling, which I don't care for either, it has plenty of power and the fueling and gearing are spot on.

Let us know how your FZ1 test ride goes...

I've tried a couple of the bikes you've mentioned there and went for the FZ1!

The CB1000R just felt like it was lacking in a few ways, the engine felt flat and the suspension wasn't great.
The Triumph was, IMO very pricey for what you got. By the time you'd added a couple of options to improve the looks, it was getting expensive!
The Z1000, IMO, is a hideous looking bike so I didn't even bother with test riding it.

The FZ1 seemed to be the best of the bunch.

As Yamaha have bumped the prices up this year, there may well be a few 09 models still kicking about for less money. George White's had a few when I called them a couple of months back.
West London Yamaha might be worth a try as they had an FZ1n in stock when I was there last. They can usually do a pretty good deal on them too.

Enjoy your test ride :)

Out of interest, what are the main differences between the 09 and the 10 FZ1-N ?

Back