New member welcome thread...

Joined 'Cause I Bought One!

Hey,

So I'm Edward, and I had up until Last Saturday, a Suzuki Bandit, 1200s that I bought new in 2000. 12 years and 94 thousand miles later, I thought it was time for a change. So I picked up my nice new bright n' shiny 2012 FZ1000. I've only been riding a week, but I'm very happy with her. I am already comfortable with going from hydraulic clutch to cable, and living in SoCal, gliding between the cars seems a lot easier on the FZ1 than with my ol' Bandit. I'll probably post pictures later.

Rock On!

Welcome! Twelve years of ownership on a bike you had from shiny new? That is really something. I can barely keep a bike for a year. How was the Bandit for you and how does the FZ1 compare?

Hey Dustin,

It was a point of pride that I put every mile on the Bandit for sure! But by the end, she looked every one of those miles. I had replaced every part on least once and even had a couple of fender benders! In the end, the dealer credited me 500 dollars (which wasn't a surprise) toward the sale of the FZ1.

There are a lot of things to compare for sure! The main thing that strikes me is that even though the Bandit and the FZ1 were part of that 'naked sport' era from the late nineties, the FZ1 is decidedly more closer to a standard position than the Bandit was. I can feel the engine way more with the FZ1. My rider friends used to call my Bandit, The Sofa. Ha! Bottom line however, nothing compares to 'new'. I think I will grow to love the FZ1 as much as I did my Bandit; I just wont hold on to her AS long this time!

Bandit:
560579_10151086457296476_813791642_n.jpg

New FZ1!
400922_10151086516571476_992128149_n.jpg

Is your FZ1 new and still in the break-in period? If it is, you're in for a treat once you rev it up past 7000 rpm! The Bandit motor is supposedly very smooth and torquey but you'll really like the high rpm rush of the FZ1 :)

Hey Dustin,

It was a point of pride that I put every mile on the Bandit for sure! But by the end, she looked every one of those miles. I had replaced every part on least once and even had a couple of fender benders! In the end, the dealer credited me 500 dollars (which wasn't a surprise) toward the sale of the FZ1.

There are a lot of things to compare for sure! The main thing that strikes me is that even though the Bandit and the FZ1 were part of that 'naked sport' era from the late nineties, the FZ1 is decidedly more closer to a standard position than the Bandit was. I can feel the engine way more with the FZ1. My rider friends used to call my Bandit, The Sofa. Ha! Bottom line however, nothing compares to 'new'. I think I will grow to love the FZ1 as much as I did my Bandit; I just wont hold on to her AS long this time!

New FZ1!
400922_10151086516571476_992128149_n.jpg

Welcome! I'm sure you'll rack up the miles on the new bike as well, and have a blast doing it. Welcome to the group!

hey folks. i've ridden my buddies 09 fz1 a couple times now and I've decided that it WILL be my next bike.
I'm riding a 91 nighthawk 750 right now. I started riding in February 2012 and I've currently put almost 7k miles on the bike since then.
I'm looking forward to learning the differences between gen1 and gen2 so I can end up with the bike of my dreams (however, I think both will be AMAZING compared to the nighthawk)
I'm slightly leaning toward gen2 soley for fuel injection though.

hey folks. i've ridden my buddies 09 fz1 a couple times now and I've decided that it WILL be my next bike.
I'm riding a 91 nighthawk 750 right now. I started riding in February 2012 and I've currently put almost 7k miles on the bike since then.
I'm looking forward to learning the differences between gen1 and gen2 so I can end up with the bike of my dreams (however, I think both will be AMAZING compared to the nighthawk)
I'm slightly leaning toward gen2 soley for fuel injection though.

Welcome Slowy! Both the GenI and GenII bikes are great bikes to ride. I had a GenI (01), but have ridden GenII's a few times and like you, I really liked the response of the fuel injection. However, the GenI, properly jetted and fitted with a nice slip-on makes for an awesome ride as well. I preferred the GenI soley for the "comfort". It's a little easier to ride all day in comfort, plus, you can't beat the fuel range, almost 200 miles to a tank. You definitely will stop for gas more frequently on a GenII. They are both super reliable and can easily surpass the 100,000 miles mark with proper oil changes and valve checks when needed. Whichever you decide to finally get please make sure to throw up some pics of the new beast!

Thanks Billy. I'm still undecided. the power of the fz1 is UNREAL. I'm almost wondering if an fz6 would be more 'useful'. i think my nighthawk is around 75hp and the fz6 is about 90, so not much of a jump there.
ahhhhhh soo many Choices!

I'm looking to get a new bike once the weather warms up and all the 'weather weenies' want to sell their bikes :)

in the meantime, I'm planning on lurking around here and figuring out the differences between the 2 gens

hi all im mike, been into bikes for a while started with usual 250's and dirt bikes moved onto road bikes 8 yrs ago. first big bike 07 gsr600 then 06 fz6n and now 08 fz1n thats the keeper. i live in australia and only ride for now till the mrs forces the car licence on me. stay shiny side up!

Signed up a year ago but just now looking at the website

I'll go ahead and call myself a new member as I signed up over a year ago but forgot all about it. Hello all!

First Impressions

Hey good morning from Baytown, TX. I own a new 2011 FZ1 & she's an everyday rider. I bought my newest darling & named her T-Racy on 17 July 2012. She's the latest in a long line of bikes that I've owned. They range from Yamaha DT enduro's, RD street models, YZF sport bikes, a couple BMW RT's and now the FZ1.
T-Racy is the first bike I've wanted to improve on or modify. I look forward to the technical & aesthetic input that the forum members have to offer from their experience with the FZ1.
Thanx,

Hi im new here thought i would say Gday

Sadly i dont have an FZ1 but i have a FZ8 as they were selling them an a crazy price here in Australia. Its fun but look forward to moving up to the FZ1 in a year or 2 time. Very happy with the FZ8 . Very good riding position and good at the power bend. :sport12:

Hello i'm Ian and i live in the North East ( UK ). Owned my 2007 FZ1s for a couple of months now. Carrying out some modifications over winter to the bike that i have fallen in love with, decat headers, Akropovic end can, Dynojet Pc111and airbox mod. Trying to summon the courage to do the butterfly mod but scared i'll drop the screws inside. Will post some pics when i figure out how.:icon_beer:
Cheers :)

Hello and whoops...I've crashed my FZ1S!

Hello from Sunbury, Australia.

Sat at home for 6 weeks after high siding my 2008 FZ1S :-( Still, has meant I have come back onto this forum after being a member many years ago when I had my 2001 Gen I.

After having 12 bikes since 2004, including a Blackbird, DRZ400SM, KTM 950 SM, GSXR750, 690 Duke, I still have the FZ1S after 3 years. The best all rounder, and improved greatly by a few cheap mods :)

Doesn't crash half bad either!

Cheers,

Rob

Back