New member that is curious

Hello,
I am new to the forum and new to the world of FZ1's. I have a question about the bikes. I am looking at acquiring a 2002 FZ1 and it is pretty much the only option that I have. I am 6'0" and about 190 lbs. This is not my first bike, I have owned 3 in the past and ridden many, however, this is going to be the biggest one that I have owned of this type. I had a 650 V-Star as a starter bike, then upgraded to a Ninja 650, then went to a 1100 V-Star. I have ridden a GSXR-750 that was modded and a 2006 R6. I never had any trouble with any of the bikes. I am just curious if the FZ1 is that much more powerful than any of the bikes that I have mentioned. I know that they are faster and more powerful than the cruisers I have owned and the Ninja, but where do they stand with a GSXR750 and R6?

Just to add, and I know that people will poke fun and say rude comments, but I am a responsible rider and have never had an interest in wheelies or stunts or going 100+. I do get a little brave on occasion and break the speed limit. I just like the looks of the FZ1, it is available to me but I do not want something that is going to come up in the front every time I crank on the throttle.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

If you're expecting rude comments, you're in for a surprise :) This place rocks

As for the bike? Go for it! No question. They are fast but quite easy to ride and that 2002 first gen model is very comfy and great on gas to boot. I had a 2003 and it was my first litre bike. I was concerned about the power at first but that quickly ended after riding it. They are a very friendly bike and it gave me good feedback and plenty of confidence. The power was awesome and it would wheelie on power in third but only if you really tried. 100 mph is nothing for them vand beyond that can come before you know it

Last edited:
Another welcome, here!

And I agree, don't worry about rude and nasty on this forum. That is the stuff of other forums.

The bike is good. It goes as fast as you twist - or not twist.

All I needed to hear, definitely going to get it. I was just worried because I like to accelerate hard every once in awhile. Most of the time it is just to bully the Harley's that I ride with. I'm sure I'll have a few unexpected one wheel take offs but hopefully they are rare.

I came up from a 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F (599 in the US) which was nippy enough but really starting to feel its age.

I was worried about jumping to the litre bike, was thinking about maybe the FZ8N.

But it was a really easy change up. Masses of power available, but delivered very linearly & progressively through all the gears. Not twitchy or snatchy. The bike is very comfortable to ride.

Last edited:
Most of the time it is just to bully the Harley's that I ride with. I'm sure I'll have a few unexpected one wheel take offs but hopefully they are rare.

You won't need to turn the throttle much to to leave a Harley.

The FZ1 is not much of a wheelie bike, it's really quite docile out of the hole. I found the easiest wheelies were in 2nd gear at 65 mph :innocent:

You will love it, I too am a new fz1 owner (06), and they do just fine. It all comes down to the rider. My fav things about this bike is power wheelie in 3rd, clutch up 4th, and at the same time you can put 1000 miles on it in a day and be fine.

Just to add, and I know that people will poke fun and say rude comments, but I am a responsible rider

You should be fine as long as you don't post anything that might deserve a little bit of condescending criticism (and I say this poking fun).

I'm a brand new rider and have posted a lot of uhhh, lets be nice and just say dumb stuff on here. 99% of the guys have been very patient and informative on here. The guys (and gals) on this forum care about the well being of all people that come along on this page.

I would say get the 2002 Fz1. The power and throttle need to be respected. Once you get it down, you will find yourself having a lot of fun and still feeling safe and in control. I've only dropped the clutch too hard once and the wheel came up about 6 inches. If you do a good job with controlling your launch, you can turn all the power into linear horizontal acceleration, rather than vertical.

If you ride the FZ1 at legal speeds, you will never see the real power it offers unless you go all hooligan. Power really starts at ~6K on the tach. So in brief.

FZ1 below 6K RPM = nice mellow easy to ride bike.
FZ1 above 6K RPM = super sport power (be careful)

The FZ1 will pick-up speed incredibly fast if you ask it to do so, but those corners come up fast even on familure roads. Be very careful playing with the upper revs.

great choice of bike. i also have an 02. i don't know if it's just because mine is jetted, but it can be a challenge to keep the front wheel down under heavy acceleration in 1st gear. full throttle past 6500 rpms guarantees a ride in the sky. it's pretty tame before that. speed is similar to a gixxer 750 but with significantly more torque. sounds like you have throttle control down, but i just wanted to let you know the wheel can get up pretty high if you're not careful in 1st. in 2nd and 3rd, you have to coax the wheel up for any shenanigans. it's a great bike, though. comfy, gorgeous, and as fast as you want it to be!

I would say a modded gsxr750 is pretty close to the fz1.

Wouldn't any GSX-R750 from the last decade be faster than the FZ1? I mean, it's at least 100 lbs lighter with the same (or more) horsepower. A bit less torque but I don't think 10-15 lb-ft is a game changer when you consider the lightness and aerodynamics of the gixxer

Great comments guys. I think that Loosenut (Mike) said it the best and to the point, From 0 to 6k, as docile as a 250. From 6K and Up, HOLD ON!!!! That was the best part I loved about my 01'. Oh, and over 200 miles per tank was great too!

Wouldn't any GSX-R750 from the last decade be faster than the FZ1? I mean, it's at least 100 lbs lighter with the same (or more) horsepower. A bit less torque but I don't think 10-15 lb-ft is a game changer when you consider the lightness and aerodynamics of the gixxer

True. they probley are a bit faster.

Whoa! Patients Billy!

You will do fine on an FZ1. It is full of power but wiht good throttle control it is managable power. Plus if tuned correctly it is as smooth as a fuel injected model. Yamaha did a very good job.

Now, Where is the Pictures!!!!
lol
:thewave:

I have an 07 and I must be doing something wrong :D I can honestly say that I have NEVER had the front wheel come up more than 6" under hard acceleration and that was after shifting into second at 11k rpm! Its probably one of the best features of this bike IMHO. I feel perfectly comfortable yanking on the throttle when ever I want (obviously not in a turn or in the wet) without fear if anything crazy happening other than massive amounts of acceleration!

That said, if you want the front to come up it will but for me, it takes a little coaxing and I like it that way. I don't think I would trade my FZ for any other bike and I'm sure most of the guys here feel the same way.

I'm sure you will love that '02!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum. I've had my FZ1 for almost a year now and have never had an issue. With the front end popping up. I'm a bit fluffy too so that might have something to do with it too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I got a streetfighter 2005 FZ1 as my first bike ever last summer (I am 28, a late bloomer I guess...), but I love it! It was modded with pod air intake, re-jetted, etc. to give it some more more power, but I haven't had a problem controlling it. The bike is maneuverable, comfortable, and fast when you need it (i.e. when a blind buick driver tries to run you over). Everyone told me that I shouldn't get a 1000cc bike for my first, but I am fairly responsible with myself and had no problem easing into it. I would say I bought a bike with some room to grow... and it didn't take long to do it!

Back