New member Rough Idle need HELP

That's true. While they don't look too much out of synch, cylinders 3 and 4 could be balanced a little better. 26 is just a number which is ideal if you can acquire it but not necessary. As long as all 4 are equal to each other or close to it your fine. I would try to balance 3 and 4 again and then do the center which will balance 1-2 with 3-4. Also I remember that on the GenI you always wanted to raise the idle a bit while balancing just to smooth things out to see where they are with each other. No more than 2500 to 3000rpms. It may not do anything but I looked closely at the photo and unless it was just the point at which you hit the shutter, the last two cylinders are not equal. They aren't bad, but not equal. I believe there is room for improvement.

20140524_132718_zps0fb83377.jpg

I can assure you that a sync is not going to fix your issue. They are already very close and no where near bad enough to cause any noticeable issue, don't waste your time .

A 2HG spread across 4 cylinders is nothing !

Last edited:
I can assure you that a sync is not going to fix your issue. They are already very close and no where near bad enough to cause any noticeable issue, don't waste your time .

A 2HG spread across 4 cylinders is nothing !

Agreed, guys let's get real here. A Yamaha is not going to run like this over that minor of an adjustment. This bike will stall when set at a normal idle speed! The intake sensor as explained previously is good in my book. I will check spark plugs this weekend and as usual post results.

I can't open the videos, so just going off past experience. Based on what you've eliminated, check the coils. I've had to replace two coils on my 2008. Never threw a code. I did the "water" test on the headers (warmed up the bike and sprayed water on each one) and one pipe didn't "sizzle" the water off immediately. Replaced the coil on that cylinder and it resolved the problem. With one of the coils, there was an obvious electrical arc happening. With the other, there were no outward signs of a problem, and it tested within spec.

My first step toward resolution was to replace the spark plugs. This did help for a short time (3 weeks, if I recall correctly), but the problem reasserted itself with the new plugs.

If it turns out to be the coils, you can pick up R1 coils cheaply on eBay. Last time I bought them I paid $28 (shipped) for four coils off a 2006 R1.

Are there any error codes listed when you go into DIAG mode (with the kill switch ON) ? If so, clear them. My bike ran rough for a spell, and it turned out to be me starting it without a sensor attached which threw an error and even after attaching the sensor the bike ran the same until I cleared all codes on the ECU. Ran great after that...

Even if the sensor is good, the ECU will not go back and check, nor reset the code automatically.

Hey guys just bought a used 2011 FZ1 in January with 600 miles. Has a yoshi slip on exhaust and no other mods to my knowledge. Around 1200 miles the bike started rough idle when warm. It would shake between 600-1200 rpms rapidly.

After some searching all I could find was stuff for gen I bikes or "raise the idle". After the bike stalled at a red light I tried raising the idle to 1500rpms. This helped greatly but I decided to bring it into the dealership anyway.

They ran it through Yamaha testing and found no issues. They also lowered the idle back to 1000rpms bringing my problem back. They said not to touch the idle and blamed it on bad gas. I have ridden this bike almost every weekend have put around 6 tanks through it since this issue started. They refuse to listen or help anymore reminding me my 60 day warranty is up.

This is my first FI bike. HELP

Bump the idle back to 1300-1350rpm that should help.

EDIT : I see in your vids you already did that.

Last edited:
You don't seem to have ruled out the kinked fuel line? Mine had exactly the same issues you have along with a suspected faulty FCE throwing a fault 19.

Regardless of the fault code, the £8 fuel line paired with a new FCE and it was like a totally new bike with absolutely no idling issues.

Hey guys just bought a used 2011 FZ1 in January with 600 miles. Has a yoshi slip on exhaust and no other mods to my knowledge. Around 1200 miles the bike started rough idle when warm. It would shake between 600-1200 rpms rapidly.

After some searching all I could find was stuff for gen I bikes or "raise the idle". After the bike stalled at a red light I tried raising the idle to 1500rpms. This helped greatly but I decided to bring it into the dealership anyway.

They ran it through Yamaha testing and found no issues. They also lowered the idle back to 1000rpms bringing my problem back. They said not to touch the idle and blamed it on bad gas. I have ridden this bike almost every weekend have put around 6 tanks through it since this issue started. They refuse to listen or help anymore reminding me my 60 day warranty is up.

This is my first FI bike. HELP
Had the same problem found one ignition stick was out of spec runs well now

Back