New member just got a 2006

Just got a 2006, bone stock with 3400 miles. Rode it home 150 miles. Loved it. So much better than my old R1. Now I need that 16 tooth sprocket...........

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

:welcome: and congrats on the new ride! Please, get some frame sliders on there ASAP! ;)

What are your planned mods?

It's "almost" like having an R1, just a lot more comfortable! :tup:

So get this........

I went to get the title and on the front of the title where it states the mileage it says 30,000 miles. The bike odometer says 3561 and the previous owner stated (on the back of the title) that it had 3411. I trust the guy I bought it from and the bike sure looks to be in great shape. I don't think it could have 30k miles. I did buy it through ebay ( the bike was local and I checked it out before I bought it) so I have some protection. The MVD is going to do a title search. Hopefully that will clear it all up.

Is it possible to turn back the mileage on one of these bikes ?????

Engine sliders STAT! Trust me..they DO work. Mine saved a ton of damage.
Let me look into my crystal ball here...I see a 16 tooth sprocket...racing exhaust...modded flys......

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the new ride. You sure got the fastest color :D

Hopefully you get the title situation straightened out. Big difference between 3000 and 30000 miles...

It can be a data entry mistake or the previous owner has replaced the gauges. Those stock dunlops look in real bad condition. Time for new tires...

Is that data stored in the cluster? I thought it was stored in the ECU and the cluster is merely the "messenger" here?

Hey Pete! When you swapped out your ECU for the Euro one, what happened to the mileage on the ODO?

Looks perfect, nice buy, hope you get the mileage sorted out.

Just taken the lower fairing off my red one and i'm sure it looks better without it, enjoy!!

Ebay...

Haha, oh man, I just got my bike too and I was thinking wow. That looks a lot like the one I was watching on ebay... I almost bid against you on the bike haha! I'm about 600 miles from Cave Creek, so I looked hard locally. I ended up finding a blue 2007 locally, yeehaw! The previous owner moved from Texas right? I'm also considering dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. Awesome! So are you happy with the bike so far? When I called to talk to the seller, there was something I didn't like about his demeanor. So, it's kind of cool to be able to ask new owner.

Here's my 2007 with a Yoshimura :D

nashimus-albums-my-bike-picture1915-267713-2225814011841-1442496533-32586721-6241910-n.jpg

I just need to get rid of the autobot sticker on the windscreen...

Congrats!

That's great you got your bike! I was very close to bidding on that exact bike when it was around $4500. I would have lost anyhow, but I ended up finding a blue FZ-1 2007 locally :woot: I'm 600 miles from cave creek, so it would have sucked after about 5 hours of riding it home and still having another 5 to go. Talk about numb hands...

Regarding your mileage on the title, that's weird. I could see where someone might accidentally add an extra zero while typing. I actually called and talked to this guy. He said he bought it brand new off ebay with zero miles from Wisconsin (I think). The little tiny scratches on the engine case and scuffs on the plastic were from moving from Texas, which made sense, since he had a Texas phone number. I even mentioned the tires looking worn and he said nah they're fine.

I'm thinking the bike probably really only had 3400 miles on it, but maybe he lied to me about buying it brand new.

If he was the original owner, wouldn't the title say 0 miles? Unless they took the mileage when he paid off his loan and the new title was issued. Which I'm guessing happened at around 3000 miles. In Utah they don't update the mileage on titles.

I don't think you have much to worry about. It just doesn't seem likely that the miles on the bike would be that high and he would artificially lower them, but forget about the title. I don't see why you couldn't get it corrected.

Anyhow, enjoy your new bike! I'm very happy I bought one, although I've already been hitting the local shops to see if they have a 16 tooth front sprocket too...

-nash

Mistakes like this happen more frequently than you might imagine, but getting them corrected is not easy. When I took my Lexus in for a recall at 18,000 miles the dealer had the mileage record showing 150,000 because the tech punched in the wrong mileage the last time I had it in for an oil change. They have to do a lot of paperwork with Lexus HQ to explain the mileage discrepancy and to set the mileage correct in their records (for future warranty purposes). Not sure what the DMV would require to change their records, even if they could be changed. In the end I don't think it matters too much from a value standpoint. Your bike doesn't look like it has 30,000 miles on it so I think you are ok.

Is that data stored in the cluster? I thought it was stored in the ECU and the cluster is merely the "messenger" here?

Hey Pete! When you swapped out your ECU for the Euro one, what happened to the mileage on the ODO?

It stayed the same.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replys.

He gave me some maint. records but no mileage was recorded just dates. DMV asked for a notarized letter from the orignal owner stating the mileage. I also think they will want to look at the bike. I gues I'll find out next week. I don't think they really know what they want or need. I'm not real worried about it but it would be nice to get it corrected. I think the mileage was updated on the title when he got an Az title and the title before that read zero.

Well I got the title all straightened out. 3000 miles all nice and legal !!!

I also did my first mod. -1 +2 sprockets. Now thats a difference you can feel. Now it's almost like riding my old 02 R1. All the good and none of the bad ! most excellent !!

Back