New member 2008 fz1

Hey everyone I'm a new member I picked up a gently wrecked 2008 fz1 with 8,000 miles on it. Seems to run good but just noticed to go straight the handlebars appear to be at an 89° angle instead of 90. Seems to go straight fine. Feels fine. I noticed I Am leaking fork seal fluid on the one side. Not sure how long it's been like that. The previous owner did wreck it a little at low speeds he said. All in all seems ok but the steering seeming slightly crooked is concerning. Nothing is visibly bent or out of line besides that. The rim looks fine. Previous owner said he did replace handlebars. Could it be the leaky fork seal? Any ideas. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_161530163.jpg
    IMG_20240413_161530163.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240404_191452287_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240404_191452287_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240404_191446235_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240404_191446235_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240404_191438857_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240404_191438857_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240404_191431532_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240404_191431532_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum!

I have almost the exact same issue re: forks seem to be just slightly off center. I've tried a few different "alignment" techniques with out much luck and try to not fixate on it while I'm riding. It doesn't affect how the bike handles as far as I can tell and I've put about 10k miles on it, including a track day or two. The only tangible consequence I've noticed is that my rear tire wears ever so slightly unevenly, but again, it's barely noticeable.

As for the fork seal leak, I encountered that recently as well. Made my own plastic wedge "thingy" modelled after the Motion Pro one, ran it between the seal and the fork, pumped the forks up and down a few dozen times, and all has been good since then. Worth a try before diving into the replacement procedure, imho...

Welcome to the forum!

I have almost the exact same issue re: forks seem to be just slightly off center. I've tried a few different "alignment" techniques with out much luck and try to not fixate on it while I'm riding. It doesn't affect how the bike handles as far as I can tell and I've put about 10k miles on it, including a track day or two. The only tangible consequence I've noticed is that my rear tire wears ever so slightly unevenly, but again, it's barely noticeable.

As for the fork seal leak, I encountered that recently as well. Made my own plastic wedge "thingy" modelled after the Motion Pro one, ran it between the seal and the fork, pumped the forks up and down a few dozen times, and all has been good since then. Worth a try before diving into the replacement procedure, imho...
Yeah man it seems like the faster I go the less noticable it is. If I take my hands off the handlebars it stays straight as well, at low speeds. I remember a CBR 600 I had having a similar problem. I guess I'll address it as I go.

Welcome! This is what I've done in the past, not on my bike but others I've had. And sorry if you know this already. Loosen the triple tree clamps top and bottom. Get a friend to straddle the front wheel facing you. He clamps his lower legs so the wheel won't move, the just take the handle bars and re-enter them.

Welcome! This is what I've done in the past, not on my bike but others I've had. And sorry if you know this already. Loosen the triple tree clamps top and bottom. Get a friend to straddle the front wheel facing you. He clamps his lower legs so the wheel won't move, the just take the handle bars and re-enter them.
Appreciate the suggestion but am a bit confused...

Wheel on the ground or off? What are the bars "re-enter"ing?

Hey everyone I'm a new member I picked up a gently wrecked 2008 fz1 with 8,000 miles on it. Seems to run good but just noticed to go straight the handlebars appear to be at an 89° angle instead of 90. Seems to go straight fine. Feels fine. I noticed I Am leaking fork seal fluid on the one side. Not sure how long it's been like that. The previous owner did wreck it a little at low speeds he said. All in all seems ok but the steering seeming slightly crooked is concerning. Nothing is visibly bent or out of line besides that. The rim looks fine. Previous owner said he did replace handlebars. Could it be the leaky fork seal? Any ideas. Thanks
Nice bike.had 3 of them.have this now

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Back