New guy and maybe new FZ1 owner with a question???

Hi all,

Well, was out kicking tires yesterday looking for a new ride for the spring. Stopped by the Yamaha dealer to peak at the new FZ-09. I didn't want one, just wanted to check it out and see what else they had in the shop. See a 2012 FZ1 and we start talking and this is what the dealer offers me:

Leftover 2012. No miles, brandy new. $7500:sinister:

Sounds like a great deal, but unfortunately I can't take the bike as I am heading out of town next week for 2 months and have no where to store it. Owners says, "No problem, I'll store it for you." I ask how much, he says "$0.00, I have tons of warehouse space, pick it up whenever you want!"

Seen as though the FZ1 wasn't on my radar, I don't know anything about it other than the obvious, so I tell him a need a night to think about it, which he agrees to and I leave. All night I've been researching the bike and I'm pretty sure I want it, but still don't know?

So, not asking if the bike is right for me, but I would like to know if there is a massive surplus of leftover bikes out there making this an everyday price, or is this truly a one time great deal?

Thanks

Mike

Some of my previous bikes: ZRX1200, Hornet 900, Tuono, R1200GS, R1100SBX

Last edited:
There is no better deal on the market than a leftover FZ1. I have sen them sell for that but you would be hard pressed to buy a brand new one any cheaper. I wish I still had mine and miss it dearly.

Get it, then take the short ride to Ivan's to turn it into a purely awesome bike that it can be. With the money you are saving, you can put that into a full Ivan conversion!

Get it, then take the short ride to Ivan's to turn it into a purely awesome bike that it can be. With the money you are saving, you can put that into a full Ivan conversion!

I'll have to spend some time reading about the Full Ivan's conversion, as I'm not familiar with it. Though, I do believe that this is the same Ivan from the ZRX world, famous for pulling every bit of potential out of that bike.

Well, on my way to the dealership to make a decision...

Well, no longer a maybe owner; I DO own this bike now :woot:

The dealer had it prepped and available for me to check it out. As soon as I started it up from the sitting position it was all over. Bike sounds great and looks much better than the pictures give it justice. The only bummer part was turning it off and wheeling it into the storage area for the next 2 months :( :banghead:

Guess I'll head over to the new member area for a proper introduction.

Thanks for the help guys!

Mike

Congrats. If I was you I would have the dealer disconnect the battery, sitting for two months won't do the battery any good and may cause problems down the road if the battery gets run down. There is constant current draw to keep the clock going so there will be drainage, two months isn't a great amount of time but I wouldn't let any m/c battery sit that long without being on a Battery Tender....these batteries are marginal at best due to their size.

Congrats, enjoy the 2012! I love mine. To me the white / black combo is AWESOME!

I paid more than you, too, about a year ago though. I guess I wouldn't trade this year for any amount of money, lol. Congrats also on the deal! --MW

Congrats, enjoy the 2012! I love mine. To me the white / black combo is AWESOME!

I paid more than you, too, about a year ago though. I guess I wouldn't trade this year for any amount of money, lol. Congrats also on the deal! --MW

Thanks Bavarian! It is a nice color combo that looks much better in person compared to the pics online. Can't wait to ride this thing!!!
:sport12:

Mine started out that way

Then went retro

Back