New GEN1 from Ohio

Howdy folks,

About 1 month ago I picked up a black gen1 2001 with 12k miles in completely stock form. Didn't take long before the mod bug sank its teeth in... I don't even know how much i've spent already but it's up there. I have the bike taken apart down to the motor and frame waiting on my ivans MB kit to show up along with ported boots and K&N pods. Once those show up i'll be piecing her back together and hoping for the best when I hit the start button :) I put 50 miles on her this winter riding around in sub 30 degree weather trying to get a feel for her and seeing what it's all about. Due to the roads being wet most of the 50 miles I was only able to get on it about 75% in second gear. Even at 75% the power is unreal compared to what I came off of (92 honda shadow 1100). I can only imagine when this baby gets jetted and I throw on the slip-on. Gonna be a hellatiously fun year!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me pick my mods and thanks to everyone else who has contributed all the great info to this community. From all the reading I have done there are so many headaches that were made easy by the knowledge of every aspect of our bikes some of these members have. What more could you ask for? You guys rock!!!

Last edited:
Well after all the mods when you finally get it out in good weather you're going to be very pleased. Oh and you'll look like this :D after every ride ;)

The mods pile up easy... and then... when you think you're done... you get swayed into something else.....

For instance... Last season, my forks started leaking a little bit... I contacted Lee at Traxxion, since they had just revalved / resprung my forks about 2 years ago.... he told me to clean the seals with some camera film... that worked like a champ, and the seal quit leaking... but I went ahead and ordered new seals, bushings, etc to service the forks.... well... now, it's winter... the snow is showing no sign of stopping... and "spring break" is coming up March 5th -13th at the University... I figured I'd pull the forks and fix them at this point.. but... I really hate working on forks... I could just drive down and have Traxxion do them.... and if I'm going to make the drive... I may as well get them to put in the AK-20 Cartridges right? .... Simple job... turned into another mod.... I know I won't regret it though...

Haha, I know what you mean. All I am buying the rest of this year will be a new windshield, r1 shifter arm, and a corbin backrest. Next winter might be paint.

Welcome and congrats "UT" on your new ride! I too own a black 01' and simply love the hell out of it. The "mod bug" is only natural amongst gearheads. We simply can't help but do it. I may not have money to buy lunch at work, but I always make sure that I have a couple of dollars to put something new on the bike. Hopefully you'll have her back together real soon and will be able to realize the potential that the bike has. Enjoy it!

P.S. Please don't forget to post photos! I'd like to see her as she sits right now. Sort of before and after deal. Know what I mean?:laugh2:

Back