New Gen. Versus Old Gen.

I only have owned the first generation FZ1 but I have sat on a second generation. I am 5'-11" and 240lbs and I was much more comfortable on the Gen1. The Gen 2 had more of a sportbike feel to it. Even looking at the Gen2 you can see it's more sportier than the Gen1. I love my Gen1 and wouldn't trade it for any other bike. I have found my soulmate!

Got another Gen I owner who sat on newer bikes ('07 and '08) but have not thrown a leg over a Gen II. I'm in the same boat with Billy. With a few mods (at a cheaper cost since it is not new) I feel that I can hang with the best of them!

Plus, you may be able to p/u a smoking deal on a Gen I with low mileage (below 10k). It all depends upon what you are trying to achieve.

BroHay

I'm in the opposite boat as my first two friends. I've never had a leg over a Gen1 bike but I don't think I could describe the Gen2 bike as a tourer. I'm pretty gnarly but my small butt has a hard time with a lot of sport seats. Amazingly the FZ1 seat isn't as bad as it looks because it's quite flat. I'm sure I could cut a couple hundred miles without stopping but a good thing is the tank won't get me much further than 120 miles before I'm looking for petrol. I also have a little more pressure on my wrists than I like for long distance. My last bike (a Dl650 had a better stance for touring but I didn't like the seat because it was crowned. Even if it's soft, a crowned seat won't cut it for touring. Last August I took a trip from my home to Minneapolis and back and did the retutn trip via Chicago in one day. That was about 840 Miles and 15 hours in the saddle. By the last two hundred miles I was stopping at every rest area so my butt could get back into shape. It went in for a recontouring the next day. The day after I got it back, I sold it because the upholsterer didn't help much the way she re-did it. A bad seat and handlebar relationship will take a lot of fun out of riding. Good thing we are all built a little different.

I'm sure I could cut a couple hundred miles without stopping but a good thing is the tank won't get me much further than 120 miles before I'm looking for petrol.

Is that for real??? 120 miles and your looking for gas?? The Gen1 gets over 200 miles on a tank. I myself have gone past 215 miles before the Ivans kit was installed before filling up. I didn't realize it was that big a difference between the two.

One thing to note, that if you are not running a stock combination for sprockets, a false distance will be indicated. I've got a 15/47 combo, and before I installed a speedohealer, I was around 190 before reserves kicked in. Now I'm around 160ish which correlates to the % error that was indicated ~15%.

And now that I'm becoming even more twist the wrist, I'm only afraid that mileage is going down....down....down....

and this is before I install Ivan's kit!

BroHay

I wouldn't know b/c all the combos have had 15. (15/46) and (15/47)

but being able to access the powerband faster, makes it that much more fun to ride. Lose a bit of top end, but it is not like I'm above 150 much.....yet....

BroHay

Last edited:
Well, I've been trying to do that now for about a week, and I was suprised for the first time yesterday with the front end popping up (roll on in first). Perfect the technique and then go to work on slippin' for quicker wheelies.

DO NOT CONDONE the above activities and perform these at YOUR OWN RISK!....(but man is it fun!:Rockon:)

Brohay

I can probably squeeze about 160 or so out of a full tank and I check my mileage every fill-up. Because I travel a lot of areas where there isn't a sation around every corner, I've learned to keep the tank at least 1/6 full. Two summers ago I was going across Northern Canada and came within about two miles of running out of gas. I went over 130 miles between gas sations. Pushing the thing aint on my agenda. By the way, my gearing and everything else as far as the running gear goes is bone stock.

What size tank does the Gen2 have. Maybe thats the difference. I can't imagine the two bikes that far off in gas mileage unless of course the tanks have different capacities.

I too almost never wait for the gas to run down that low. If I have a half tank on the way home, and theres a station, then I top her off. My friends think I am crazy but I have this inherent fear of running out of gas. I don't know why, I just do.

FZ1riderNY said " My friends think I am crazy but I have this inherent fear of running out of gas. I don't know why, I just do".

Billy,I know why...I have the same issue...they are to d@mn heavy to push!! :eek:
I keep a gas can in the garage and top off if I know I'm going out for a couple hours.

Last edited:
Back