New fz1 rider lots of questions

chirp the 1-2

Just purchased my 02 fz1 from a buddy that hit some gravel and dropped her. Almost new michelins,new front and rear brakes,new batt,valve adjustment,fork seals,syn oil,new sprockets and chain, blah blah. Well maintained 21,000 miles runs like a top.

First question is chain seems loose lots of rattling and constant noise (said it hadnt been adjusted since new, prob 3-400 miles) also seems to have alot of slop from gear to gear and from neutral to first. Just needs adjustment? Ideas?

Also trying to figure out what has been done to the tail, i hate the fake carbon turn signals but dont know what stock tail was since i dont know this bike.

Not sure what the teal blue fittings are up front (stock,aftermarket?)

Really just trying to get her back to stock probably. Thanks in advance.

Yes, chain adjust most definitely.
The blue things up front, your talking about the dampen and rebound adjustment screws I take it?
You can buy all kinds of different signals and rid bits for the rear, if you want to look at stock parts partshark.com has excellent prices if you can't find a member with them here. Nice bike. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Chirp! First off, congrats on the new ride. First things first, looking at your chain in the picture, it looks like it's tight enough but thats only a picture. I see that your missing the Center Stand, your turn signals are aftermarket, and I'm like you, I hate them! The "blue" stems atop your forks are your adjustment screws for rebound and preload. The compression adjustment is at the bottom of the fork. It looks like the previous owner went with a fender eliminator kit so going back to stock would mean buying the undertail section. Ebay is good for parts and like Missy said, Partshark is awesome for Factory parts. If you have any other questions , don't hesitate to ask!:Rockon:

You may be able to get a used OEM fender by posting for one in the WTB section. The eliminator you have looks like a diy job and he cut the holes that hold the rear turn signals.

The exhaust looks to be the full hindle one. the chain probably just needs adjusting but also check the rear wheel bearings.

Good choice of bikes!

sweet, really just want to get her back to stock and enjoy it. i bought a 2010 ninja 250r last season for cheap. (dont laugh it was fun!) sold it when i got this for a steal. um holy poop can u say stupid fast and i havent gone above 6000rpm lol

sweet, really just want to get her back to stock and enjoy it. i bought a 2010 ninja 250r last season for cheap. (dont laugh it was fun!) sold it when i got this for a steal. um holy poop can u say stupid fast and i havent gone above 6000rpm lol

Well just be careful when your tach reaches 8K! You had better be holding on tight since the GenI bike doesn't really "wake up" until you reach 8K and above. If I could score a newer Ninja for a good price I would buy it in a second! Theres nothing wrong with a sporty little bike to have some fun on in the twisties!

thats what i heard, cant imagine this bike waking up lol. the ninja was freakin awesome, so light and easy to ride and killer mpg!

I couldn't imagine either until the day I got up the nerve to try it! It was 6 months after I bought it and even expecting the rush of power, I was still startled when it passed the 10K mark on the tach!

looks like the wiring for the stock signals has been cut, anybody know if the stock front or rear signals should be on all the time or just when i hit the signal switch?

i saw only two wires going to em, going to look for the extra oe wire now

yup extra wire just chillin with a crimp connector ready to be wired in, now i just gotta figure out what light i want

Last edited:
Do you like the flush but want better quality? I have had the Protons for 3 years, never had an issue and really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want flush, the protons are a great way to go. I have them front and rear and they're super duper bright. If it's foggy, you'll know when your turn signal is on and flashing because the air around you for 20 feet will light up :)

Back