New Fz1 owner and New bike Owner

Yes dont frighten the guy,

Hello , that sure looks good, enjoy the sunshine you have, its shite over here in England.We are waiting to see what the lord gives us for the spring,summer.

That's a great deal on a great bike! As far as cosmetic mods, I started with those first because I believed the bike had enough power. To me the first must have cosmetic mods are:

1. frame sliders (t-rex is the best bang for the buck). I'm short and believe that dropping the bike is inevitable and didn't really like the looks of the engine guards that are now nearly impossible to find.

2. windscreen. I just wanted something that looked nice. I have the zero gravity sport touring and maier aero bubble.

3. grips. I replaced the stockers with pro grips gel grips and haven't looked back. They are more comfortable and look great.

4. levers. I got adjustable levers mostly to fit my smallish hands but also because of the different color. I chose the chinese ones that are on ebay. I don't think it matters which seller as I think by now they all come from about the same source.

At some point after you get a few more miles on your ass, you should consider upgrading the suspension. There are so many different ways to go about this, from the budget mods where under $100 and a little diy make vast improvements to the wallet busting traxxion full monty stuff. It may not seem like it now, but once you do that you'll find the bike even easier to ride because it'll feel more stable.

Since you already have an aftermarket muffler, you may want to make sure the bike is jetted if only for the improved rideablility (any performance gains are just gravy) like smoother throttle response that make it easier to control the bike. The bike is 10 years old so replacing the OEM rubber brake lines for stainless (like fren tubo, another best bang for the buck mod) will not only enhance the bikes looks but improve braking feel.

5. not necessarily for looks but the http://cvieth.bplaced.net/ganganzeige_summary.html.

6. anything you can afford from devilsyam. I have the frame plugs and really want the sprocket cover.

404932_10150566778748800_682288799_9389008_1117061187_n%20(Small).jpg

The most important mod any rider can make has nothing to do with the bike. It essential to keep modding your mind by reading about and practicing riding technique or taking riding courses or doing track days then simply riding more often than you possible. If you find that you haven't been on the bike for more than a month or so, you should practice braking and low speed maneuvers more often.

I live in the Southeast so I don't have any recommendations for where to ride near you. Welcome to the forum and the FZ1.

Last edited:
For cosmetics, a rear tire hugger makes gen-1 look sportier see link, also replace the rear turn signals & license plat holder with fender eliminator kit, that cleans the look drastically. with a bike that old with that mileage, I suggest regularly using 2 oz of carb cleaner for the next 10 tanks, it did wonders for my bike a 2004 bought it 2012 with 4900 miles on it at that time.
FZ1

Is the bike completely stock?

Thanks all for the good upgrade ideas. The bike is not completey stock. The PO put on a zero gravity low profile wind screen, it has a jet kit on it and the muzzy exhust. Also there is a power commander chip in it. I have added control levers , grips, and lower fairing kit.
:sinister:

Hey All,

I know it has been awhile since I posted this but I wanted to thank you for recomending the Twist of the Wrist Video. Both of them were very helpful (cheesy at parts) but helpful nevertherless. Just installed my lower fairing kit so I will have to get some before and after pictures up soon.

It just says power commander on it when I head home this weekend we it is stored I will grab the number off it for you. All I know is the po set it up so it might even be rigged off an r1 map some how. I will keep you posted on it tho.

It just says power commander on it when I head home this weekend we it is stored I will grab the number off it for you. All I know is the po set it up so it might even be rigged off an r1 map some how. I will keep you posted on it tho.

I'm interested in this also. Our bikes have carburetors and Power Commander makes fuel injection modules. I suspect what you have is "stickers". Anything else, I can't imagine what it might be.

I will def look at it now never really dug to deep because I do not know much about the performace side just took the dealerships word on it and I can see they are prob not being honest on this part :(. I will let you know what I find out thanks for giving me the tip before I look like a dumbass telling ppl its chipped and its just a sticker.

I will def look at it now never really dug to deep because I do not know much about the performace side just took the dealerships word on it and I can see they are prob not being honest on this part :(. I will let you know what I find out thanks for giving me the tip before I look like a dumbass telling ppl its chipped and its just a sticker.

No problem pal. Unless they have some "Top Secret" piece of electronics that nobody knows about, and have installed the Prototype in your bike, a PC for a GenI doesn't exist. :cheers: I just love dealerships!.....NOT!!

No problem pal. Unless they have some "Top Secret" piece of electronics that nobody knows about, and have installed the Prototype in your bike, a PC for a GenI doesn't exist. :cheers: I just love dealerships!.....NOT!!

Well like i said I would do I looked into the whole PC chip on my bike and after tearning just about every hatch off to look all around it seems like the dealership ....how do i put this lightly screwed me with that one. Thanks for letting me know about it all so i did not look like a idot telling people it had it on :(. Good news is that my new lower farining and control levers just came in so I will get some new pictures up if anyone wants to see a gen 1 with full farings.

Well like i said I would do I looked into the whole PC chip on my bike and after tearning just about every hatch off to look all around it seems like the dealership ....how do i put this lightly screwed me with that one. Thanks for letting me know about it all so i did not look like a idot telling people it had it on :(. Good news is that my new lower farining and control levers just came in so I will get some new pictures up if anyone wants to see a gen 1 with full farings.

Pictures?? Definitely!! Post them up. My GenI had full fairings as well. I love the full fairing look.

Here is a picture of my bike with the lower fairings, psr levers, and some other mods since last time. Can anyone tell me a nicer looking set of mirrors that I can add to my bike?

you don't like the mirrors? The FZ Gen.1 is a statement in understated elegance, especially in stock form. Ride it, love it, repeat. The rest will grow on you.

well this may not be entirely true

Motorrad - Motorradteile - Motorradzubehör - Klaus Goerz

As for the mirrors just ordered a new set and block off plates I did not like where they were mounted on the front. As for the chip issuse now I'm really confused again :(

I went to Ithaca College back in the day.

I always liked driving the 13 from Elmira up to Ithaca, then driving along the lake. The ride would be more scenic and touring than sport riding. Be careful going through Newfield, I got my first speeding ticket there and the place was known for being a speed trap. There is a restaurant on the west side of Lake Cayuga called Glenwood Pines. They had an awesome burger and some Reese's Peanut Butter pie (cake) that was delicious.

I went to Ithaca College back in the day.

I always liked driving the 13 from Elmira up to Ithaca, then driving along the lake. The ride would be more scenic and touring than sport riding. Be careful going through Newfield, I got my first speeding ticket there and the place was known for being a speed trap. There is a restaurant on the west side of Lake Cayuga called Glenwood Pines. They had an awesome burger and some Reese's Peanut Butter pie (cake) that was delicious.

I drive that route ever other weekend to go to the commons in Ithica :). I cant wait for the weather to break here so I can take a ride to Glenwood Pines. I passed it alot but never stopped in now I have a reason too. Thanks for the heads up on the cops up here too I got my first ticket on 17 driving from Horseheads to Sayre :(. If you are ever back in town with you bike let me know we can ride together.

Back