New Clutch & Brake Levers How-To?

Hi EffZeeOne, this is pretty straightforward:
Clutchlever:
Loosen the nut which holds the clamp of your lever fixation so you can move it a bit away from the rubber handle.
Loosen then the nut at the bottom of the long bolt which makes your pivotpoint and take out the bolt.
Pull out the lever gently/firmly and twist so you can take out the cable (by removing the soldered little block at the cable.
Take the new lever and position it so u can place back the cable.
Then slide it into the pivot point so the hole of the lever fits with the hole of the pivot point (dunno how this is called in english;-) Pay attention to the clucth contact is fitted back properly. Make sure you first grease the bolt before reinserting.
Fix the bottom bolt (not too tight!) and then move back the entire clutchlever back into its position and tighten the nut.

Brakelever: even easier.
Loosen the nut at the bottom of the bolt (you'll see a kind of large screwhead as the pivotting point) and then use a large flatbed screwdriver to remove the bolt. Then remove the lever. Again grease the bolt before fixing it back...

Thanks Den!
I was concerned that the clutch cable goes whipping back into it's own jacketing if the round metal ball comes off, which happened to me 34 years ago, and I got a spanking and couldn't ride my brother's trail bike for like a week.

The Yamaha has that strange spring clamp that I haven't seen on bikes I've had from the other Major Three.

Last edited:
Back