New Brakes!

put new pads on the front this afternoon... and up and down the road right quick to bed the pads into the rotors... went for the EBC pads this time... MAN those things are awesome... anything more than 1 finger braking will pick up the rear end and try to suck your eyes out of socket...

Ebc

put new pads on the front this afternoon... and up and down the road right quick to bed the pads into the rotors... went for the EBC pads this time... MAN those things are awesome... anything more than 1 finger braking will pick up the rear end and try to suck your eyes out of socket...

The last set of pads that I put in my FZ600 were EBC's. I liked the braking qualities, but found that the brakes would squeak as I was just coming to a stop. They never did that with any pads before that. Not a big deal but slightly annoying with brand new pads.

I hate to say this... but I had Brembo pads on the bike... the EBC HH pads I put on grip better before they bedded into the rotors than the Brembos did when I took them off... which is disappointing... the Brembo's were great when I put the on... but... lately, they started to overheat I guess... cause they were cracking and doing all sorts of nasty stuff.

The last set of pads that I put in my FZ600 were EBC's. I liked the braking qualities, but found that the brakes would squeak as I was just coming to a stop. They never did that with any pads before that. Not a big deal but slightly annoying with brand new pads.

I had the same experience years ago with the EBC pads that I installed on my FZR1000, but they di top well.

I have only heard good things about the EBC HH pads and they are reasonably priced. Keep us posted on how they hold up va_rider...

well... thanks to a soccer mom in a mini van, I can say that they work excellent in panic stops... however, I forgot to mention... when I changed the pads, and had the cap off of the reservoir, the fluid looked... "swirly" ... meaning I've managed to get water in the brake fluid... don't know how.. I could have sworn that steel lines were supposed to halt that problem... so... I need to do a brake flush... good news is.. when I do it, I'm going to refill with DOT 5.1 ... so that should provide a little nicer feel at the lever...

I thought 5.1 was polyethylene glycol-based, just like DOT 3 and 4, so if a little got mixed it wasn't a big deal? If mixed the qualities of the higher fluid would be diluted by the lesser one, but it's not a fatal mistake.

DOT 5 is silicone-based, and for that you definitely can't mix.

Just tossing this out there, I've never used 5.1 but that's how I thought it worked.

That is how it works... you're dead on there... and you don't *have* to completely flush all of the DOT 4 out... but it'd be pointless not to... it's a good practice to do that anyhow.. with any brake flush... even if you're just flushing out DOT 4 for more DOT 4... you still want to get all of the old crap out... that's why we change the fluid in the first place....

That's why I went with the simple "Yes you do."

Someone care to explain on how a chemical makeup for brake fluid can have such dramatic effects on the braking system?

Thanks,
Adam

So today I learned two new things. Brembo pads are not as good as you'd think, and that one should use DOT 5.1 at the next brake fluid change ..

So you guys would recommend the EBC pads above other brands ?
How long do they last ?

I found that brembo are actually fantastic, but only with brilliant quality (usually brembo) discs. Because brembo discs have amazing heat dispersion qualities and a special compound, the pads are designed with this in mind, and work best with matching discs.

This is from cars though - I only assume it would translate to brembo in bikes.

The chemical properties in break fluid are what keep the brakes from loosing their grip due to the fluid boiling in the calipars, cylinders and lines. With that said idk if you are gaining anything switching up to DOT 5.1 unless you have done some upgrades to the whole system.

I have EBC HH on my FZ6 and absolutely love them and have saved my ass when going too fast on red signals or cops. Now I have EBC Extreme Pros waiting to install on the 1.

Are the extreme pros a track only pad? If they are you may be disappointed with them on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are all compatible with each other and the difference between the 3 are basically just the boiling points when you get down to it.

DOT 5 is actually completely different and not compatible with the other systems as it is silicone-based and is supposedly incompatible with DOT 3/4 braking systems

I have EBC HH on my FZ6 and absolutely love them and have saved my ass when going too fast on red signals or cops. Now I have EBC Extreme Pros waiting to install on the 1.

X2 on this, and they are the bomb (the EBC HH) I used 4 when I installed my SS brake lines, and that's been fine.

Back