New braided brake lines

Ok, so this Saturday I am going to install my new HEL brake lines front and rear. Never done brakes before on a bike, I have a Mityvac to help with the bleeding process. Any hints or tips before I tackle this? Appreciate the help!

Ok, so this Saturday I am going to install my new HEL brake lines front and rear. Never done brakes before on a bike, I have a Mityvac to help with the bleeding process. Any hints or tips before I tackle this? Appreciate the help!

Yeah, try and be as clean as you can be. When it comes to bleeding and brake fluids, I always like to do it in an enclosed enviroment. I never do any bleeding outside. You don't need any airborne dirt or debris getting into the fluids. Also, I always get a sacrificial towel to wrap around and under the resevior on the handlebars, just in case of spillage. Go nice and slow and you'll be fine, especially using a vac system.

Oh, I have a plethora of towels and paper towels to cover everything, unfortunately I will have to do it under a carport outside though. I'll just be doubly careful. :)

I personally like to do the job with the calipers and as much as possible off the bike...

for the front, I have a setup with a 3/4" piece of copper pipe to hold the lever and res. ... then you can drape the lines down to the calipers, put a block of steel/aluminum/wood/ham/whatever you have handy in between the pads and bleed away.

for the rear, I leave the pedal on the bike obviously... but move the res to a 2x4 upside "T" stand I made... I pull the caliper off the disc and put something between the pads... then bleed...

This way, I can do it all, and not worry too much about how much/whre I'm spilling brake fluid.

Good advice from the others. I will just add that if you do spill some brake fluid on the bike just wash it off with water right away. You don't want to see what will happen to your paint or plastics if you leave it on there :shaking head:

Good advice from the others. I will just add that if you do spill some brake fluid on the bike just wash it off with water right away. You don't want to see what will happen to your paint or plastics if you leave it on there :shaking head:
+1 clear coat lasts a whole 5 seconds and then after that you'll end up wiping paint away when you try to clean up the fluid. As for plastic/rubber its kinda neat what happens with that. Just for kicks find a small chunk of rubber and put it in some brake fluid for awhile and see what happens.

can only offer one tip as all the others seem to have been covered.

the new lines should have come with a little protective boot over the banjos, use those boots on the old lines to keep any wayward drips from escaping out of your old lines

Well here they are, on the front anyway, I'll do the rear tonight, but wow what a difference! You don't realize how squishy your brakes are until you add these. Pretty proud of myself! :) couldn't have dine it without my awesome board brothers however!

Well here they are, on the front anyway, I'll do the rear tonight, but wow what a difference! You don't realize how squishy your brakes are until you add these. Pretty proud of myself! :) couldn't have done it without my awesome board brothers however!

Nice job!!! They look great with the gold forks!

Well here they are, on the front anyway, I'll do the rear tonight, but wow what a difference! You don't realize how squishy your brakes are until you add these. Pretty proud of myself! :) couldn't have dine it without my awesome board brothers however!

Way to go! Only thing I will add is that you don't want them scrapping against the stock brake line bracket like that. The metal bracket will eventually wear through the outer plastic covering on the line. At the very least get a small piece of rubber hose that fits tightly inside the metal bracket to protect the brake line.

I appreciate you pointing it out, I got flustered last night by my caliper slipping a bit out of alignment, and once I got it lined up again and the panic went away I spaced a couple things, including tightening that little nut back up on the reflector on the other side. I got to work this morning and it was all catiwhompus, I was like what the???? :)

Back