New battery and it won't start

Hello I am new to the forum so thanks for any input with me being a nub and all.

So I have a 2008 FZ1 my battery was sucking so I got a tender for it and that worked for a while. It got to the point where the bike would only start 3 time before I had to charge the battery. So I bought a new battery installed it last night and now my bike won't do anything.

Nothing turns on, I can't even beep the horn nothing. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. I checked the connections and they are good. I was wondering if there is anything special I need to reset the ECU or do whatever to get here running again. I even charged the battery with the tender and it says that it is charged but still won't start.

Suggestions?????? Thanks

Welcome to the club!

First, do you have a volt meter? if nothing is working then you are most likely not getting current. You need to start at the posts and confirm you have voltage at every step from the posts down. you might also have a bad contact to the posts (most likely IMO) since nothing is working.

Only other thing I can think of besides verifying the voltage at the battery terminals is the main fuse. It's not in the fuse box along with the rest of the fuses so it can be missed. Instead it's attached to the big rubber band that holds the battery down. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Check battery voltage, then check voltage at the next connection. It may not be the battery at all. It's possible you may even have a ground problem somewhere. Best thing is to grab a meter!

The battery does have fluid in it I assume.

If so put a voltmeter across the terminals and make sure that it has 12volts.

If thats ok use the continuity function to check that the negative terminal has a good ground to the frame(disconnect the positive first)

And if you have put your battery in back to front then you might have fried your electrics:doh2:

I've lived through a variety of electrical gremlins on past bikes. So here's my bit:

First, it sounds like you have a weak charging system. In the past, I had an FZR600 with a loose wire on the rectifier, I re-cut and crimped the couplers (the molex connector was long gone) Needless to say I burned up two batteries before I found the issue.

Second, when you bought your new battery did the shop you bought it from charge it and test it for you? (Non-sealed batteries have the acid added at time of purchase then require charging before use)

Third, assuming you have a charged battery take it to Autozone/O'Reiley's/Pep Boys/Kraegan and have them use their tester, it tests voltage with load versus a simple multimeter that tests voltage. A multimeter can show 12-volts, but you put a load on the battery and it has nothing.

Forth, Assuming the battery is verified as good, you have a problem with the bike's electrical system. This is far easier than it seems.

1. Battery connectors are tight. (or even crazy tight... you get new nuts/bolts with every new battery, you may as well torque them down good)

2. Your fuses are blown

3. You have a loose wire. Try removing you battery tender lead and or other accessories you may have added to the bike and see if the problem persists.

@ jeffibus

1. Battery connections are tight.
Battery connectors are tight. (or even crazy tight... you get new nuts/bolts with every new battery, you may as well torque them down good)

2. I checked my fuses at first and then came back and checked the main fuse. The main 50 AMP fuse looks blown I am going to buy a new one this morning.
Your fuses are blown

3. All wires that I could get my paws on are tight.
You have a loose wire. Try removing you battery tender lead and or other accessories you may have added to the bike and see if the problem persists.

@ NJFZ1 Thanks for telling me about the main fuse, I believe that was the culprit. I will add images so everyone can see what the fuse looks like blown.

@Kevin Daly I don't have a voltmeter but I think that will be a gift I am buying for myself soon.

Thanks for all the information guys I will add picks soon. In addition, thanks for helping out a nub.

2. I checked my fuses at first and then came back and checked the main fuse. The main 50 AMP fuse looks blown I am going to buy a new one this morning.
Your fuses are blown

@ NJFZ1 Thanks for telling me about the main fuse, I believe that was the culprit. I will add images so everyone can see what the fuse looks like blown.

Replacing the fuse is the first step, you may want to do some more searching to find out what was the cause, typically some wire that is not supposed to be grounded (touching the frame) did. Look for exposed wire or if there are any wires that are worn from rubbing. Typical places would be around the steering stem or handlebars, since "moving parts" are often the cause.

Here is another thread where someone was blowing fuses on a regular basis: Main fuse blowing instantly all the time??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

If it happened once, it'll happen again and maybe next time you'll be on the road. (....so carry a few extra fuses :) )

But weak charging sounds like a rectifier issue. Another sign of weak charging is the engine dying near idle, constantly requiring you to rev or blip the throttle to keep it running. (but that is near battery death.)

Oh... and take a picture of the blown fuse and post it! It would be interesting to see "how" blown it is. :)

...oh yeah, one more thing, I also once caused my own battery problems by charging "too much", effectively cooking the battery. I was using a standard garage car 2amp/12amp battery charger set on 2amp at night, every night. Using a Battery Tender is supposed to work "better" since it will charge only if the battery is testing low. Then it is supposed to kick on give a big charge, then "tend" the battery with periodic small charges. The best alternative to using a charger or battery tender is to ride the bike a few times a week, but if weather does not permit, then charging is the route to go.

I, of course, only solved my charging issues the day before I sold the bike. Sigh... I probably would not have sold it if I solved the problem sooner.

Last edited:
Sometimes a blown fuse is not that easy to see and that is when a simple test light is your best friend. Glad my suggestion helped you out. If I were you I would invest in a decent multi-meter that can measure voltage and resistance at the very least. And pick up a test light while you're at it ;)

I had the exact same thing happen to me, mine was a bit different though, there was this weird black wire hanging out from underneath my seat after installing the new battery. I didn't know you had to connect BOTH wires jk.

Hello I am new to the forum so thanks for any input with me being a nub and all.

So I have a 2008 FZ1 my battery was sucking so I got a tender for it and that worked for a while. It got to the point where the bike would only start 3 time before I had to charge the battery. So I bought a new battery installed it last night and now my bike won't do anything.

Nothing turns on, I can't even beep the horn nothing. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. I checked the connections and they are good. I was wondering if there is anything special I need to reset the ECU or do whatever to get here running again. I even charged the battery with the tender and it says that it is charged but still won't start.

Suggestions?????? Thanks

Back