New-B

Kevin Daly

Hi all!

Been lurking here for a while trying to learn up on the FZ and how to outfit it with bags. Then I finally figured that I should join... since I just bought me a new 2008 FZ1! :cheers::cheers::cheers::thewave:

I know I am not supposed to post certian things but I did get a screeming deal on it if anyone is interested ($6550 OTD).

Just to fill you in a little, I have been riding bikes for about 25 years and have had several ranging from cruisers like the intruder (mistake) to the FJR 1300 (probably my favorite overall bike but really too heavy for a sport riding style). I was planning to sell the FJR to buy an FZ1 (me wife-E wont get her car outa my garage) but an unplanned shitter out in the SE OH area accelerated that plan: 8 broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung later :squid[1]: and totaled the FJR. Yeah it hurt... seeing the FJR go but a man's got to do what a man's got to do :)

Any looking forward to learning more and burning some gas as soon as the bike arrives :sport12:

Hi all!

Been lurking here for a while trying to learn up on the FZ and how to outfit it with bags. Then I finally figured that I should join... since I just bought me a new 2008 FZ1! :cheers::cheers::cheers::thewave:

I know I am not supposed to post certian things but I did get a screeming deal on it if anyone is interested ($6550 OTD).

Just to fill you in a little, I have been riding bikes for about 25 years and have had several ranging from cruisers like the intruder (mistake) to the FJR 1300 (probably my favorite overall bike but really too heavy for a sport riding style). I was planning to sell the FJR to buy an FZ1 (me wife-E wont get her car outa my garage) but an unplanned shitter out in the SE OH area accelerated that plan: 8 broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung later :squid[1]: and totaled the FJR. Yeah it hurt... seeing the FJR go but a man's got to do what a man's got to do :)

Any looking forward to learning more and burning some gas as soon as the bike arrives :sport12:

Hi Kevin, welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about the FJR but at least your okay and thats what is most important. I can't wait to congratulate you when your new bike arrives.

I know it was a screaming deal and they actually have "a few more" left. Candy red is the color which reminds me of my old 650 nighthawk. I also bought the lowers and aim to at least try to get my hands on the rear bag kit. I know I know its a lot of weight but I like to have bags for my longer rides.

Welcome! And glad you're OK.
That was a great deal on the 2008. Enjoy it!

Actually I was really amazed at the price. Apparently the dealership must have bought out another dealership or something casue the price on them was crazy!

As for the injuries, it really wasnt that bad and I am doing great. I know a lot of people say ribs are painful and they are but it wasnt that bad, i jes took dem pills and da pain was gone :) Had some withdrawls from the oxycodone but that has passed and I even made it into the gym today a week and a day ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
It Is a good thing that you got a smokin deal because when you start to tweak the bike to your liking, it'll add up quickly.....

With the lowers on and bags, you may fool some of your friends thinking it is the ol FJR.

Welcome to the madness!

It Is a good thing that you got a smokin deal because when you start to tweak the bike to your liking, it'll add up quickly.....

Well then there's the new can (at least its not "cans"), gutting the cat, the PCIII, oh yes and then we cant forget the intake flies. Man if my wife had any dea about how much I am going to spend she would kick me out of the house :poke:

you may fool some of your friends thinking it is the ol FJR.

Welcome to the madness!

Yeah until we go for a ride through the mountians :)

Last edited:
A True member

Well then there's the new can (at least its not \"cans\"), gutting the cat, the PCIII, oh yes and then we cant forget the intake flies. Man if my wife had any dea about how much I am going to spend she would kick me out of the house :poke:

Yeah until we go for a ride through the mountians :)

Ha Ha ! Yep you'll be right at home here !lolup

Welcome, sorry about the FJR but glad you "upgraded" to the FZ1!

I too was once a teen mod junkie but as of today, I'm a Grandfather. :D 44 with 33 years on two wheels. Whew!

You're going to love this bike!

Advice... well, I'd have skipped the smoking deal mention to the wife and told her you got is for "slightly" under invoice and then taken the extra $3k and dumped it into mods!! :D

Advice... well, I'd have skipped the smoking deal mention to the wife and told her you got is for \"slightly\" under invoice and then taken the extra $3k and dumped it into mods!! :D

may of work when you were first married....but methinks you'd be hardpressed to make that fly now.....

depends upon you definition of mature.....

Mature = you think about things like bowel movements more than you used to :cheers:

Welcome, sorry about the FJR but glad you "upgraded" to the FZ1!
I too was once a teen mod junkie but as of today, I'm a Grandfather. :D 44 with 33 years on two wheels. Whew!
You're going to love this bike!
Advice... well, I'd have skipped the smoking deal mention to the wife and told her you got is for "slightly" under invoice and then taken the extra $3k and dumped it into mods!! :D

She already has my budget worked out, are you kidding?:teeter:

may of work when you were first married....but methinks you'd be hardpressed to make that fly now.....

Ah the good ol days when I could say "honey my exhaust is broken, not safe... I better get that fixed" :)

Last edited:
Welcome Kevin. Congrats on the FZ1 upgrade.
When I was on the buying spree for a new bike, also the FJR lurked me, but after a testride with the FZ1, I was (and am) hooked...:yes:

Welcome Kevin. Congrats on the FZ1 upgrade.
When I was on the buying spree for a new bike, also the FJR lurked me, but after a testride with the FZ1, I was (and am) hooked...:yes:

Well needless to say the FJR is an outstanding machine and I had managed to sink a couple grand into suspension mods to fix that problem. I got a good 42k out of it and managed to eek out a couple nice long rides including one transcontinential. But in the end its the roads I ride every day here in WV that really sold me on the FZ.

And in fact, one day I took a day long ride with my buddy who has an FZ. I had recently thrown my lower back out and the ride was killing me. My buddy wanted me to try out his FZ after some mods; I didnt give it back :rmwl: :cheers::cheers: In fact, by the time we got back to town my back actually felt better :yes:

So yes I am stoked! I know there are a lot of things to do before she is ready for this years trans continental but I am really looking forward to it!

Congrats on your new bike! I got mine this summer (I got a Red FZ) and I love it. I'm glad my wife talked me into getting it. I was hesitant because we really couldnt afford to buy it, but it was such a great deal!

I paid a similar great price OTD of $6792 for my 2008 FZ1 back in July. It was actually cheaper but I had to buy it with a Credit Card and therefore had to include the 3 percent card fee into the OTD price.

Now you can start on your accessory wish list! Seats, Screens, Pipes, etc. etc. It adds up fast! Have fun!

Back