Need help with tail light / turn signals

sjim

I just recently tried installing the Motodynamic Integrated LED Tail Lights on my 09 FZ1 and I am having issues with blink rate when using the SpeedMetal LED Relay for Yamaha. The front turn signals are Proton flush mounts which I currently have set to the standard blink and have disabled the running lights.

When using the standard yamaha relay the integrated tail light and the front protons work as they should, however they blink way too fast. When I swap the relay to the speedmetal LED relay the front Proton turn signals blink too slow and the integrated tail lights don't function normally (turn signal doesn't blink stays solid yellow when sequential is off).

Not sure if I need to look at resistors for the front turn signals along with the LED relay. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

J

the issue is with the proton flush mounts, they have their own chip inside them that sets their flash rate. the proton flashers chip automatically tries to meet the flash rate of the factory lights. and you also need to have the running lights hooked up on the protons, the flasher wire is basically used as a signal wire for the chip. if you didn't want to run the running light you might try hooking up the protons running light wire to the bike's flash wire, so that they just come on when your flash relay sends a hot. Mine start out pretty close to my tail lights then start lagging behind, then the protons skip a beat and fall back in sink. They all worked fine when i had resistors, one each side just on the tail flashers, just got hot enough in the tail section that they melted some wires. Bought a led flash relay and got this problem. If you go with resistors just mount them somewhere that the heat won't be an issue, and run resistors with the factory relay, the resistor puts a load on the wiring as if there were normal bulbs connected. You should only need 2 resistors, was told that if i ran two and put them on the tail everything would work and did, don't need any on the front. Have any questions just ask, went through hell with these things.

Last edited:
I have protons mounted front and rear, set to strobe. The fronts have the running lights connected, the rears do not. Before I added this Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play the front strobe worked fine, but the rear only did two quick flashes and the dash indicators flashed at an increased rate. After adding the flasher relay the fronts and rears worked fine on strobe and the dash indicators flashed at a normal rate.

Since then I have also added an integrated taillight and have had no problems. This is the taillight I went with 06-07 Yamaha FZ1 Integrated LED Tail Light Taillight | eBay and I've been extremely happy. Much more visible from the rear, which is very important to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually on my second tail light as the first had a few LEDs that did not work and they had sent a replacement. The Motodynamics comes with resistors in the sub-harness. Both units had the same results as I mentioned in the original post. I've tried multiple wiring configurations on the front turn signals with no success. Might try to add the resistors to the front two turn signals and remove the Speedmetal LED relay on Friday.

I have the Watsens on order, but it won't be a month or so before they come in. If I can't figure out a workaround I'll most likely go back to my original setup until the Watsens arrive.

Back