Need Help New To the FZ1

so I purchased a 2002 fz1 it has a d&d show and go Slip on and seller said ivans jet kit that is all.... every once in a while when i got on the throttle its smoke some gas like it was acting rich... So i purchased a k&n knock off pod filter kit.
After install it seemed not to smoke when full throttle like it did before sometimes but how ever it like falls on its face from 7000 rpms to about 9000 rpms then it rockets like has a noticeable amount more power My question is... is it running lean i looked at the plugs not white but light grey but have only rode it like 25 miles because i am scared to blow it up so i was wonder if you could tell if its running rich or lean by the way it back fires and shoots flames some times?

extra notes when reving up at a stand still it back fires a little bit on the down rev and when hit over 9 grand reving it up it at a stand still it shoots a flame

please any input will help

Holy crap it's shooting flames? And I thought I had problems...

so I purchased a 2002 fz1 it has a d&d show and go Slip on and seller said ivans jet kit that is all.... every once in a while when i got on the throttle its smoke some gas like it was acting rich... So i purchased a k&n knock off pod filter kit.
After install it seemed not to smoke when full throttle like it did before sometimes but how ever it like falls on its face from 7000 rpms to about 9000 rpms then it rockets like has a noticeable amount more power My question is... is it running lean i looked at the plugs not white but light grey but have only rode it like 25 miles because i am scared to blow it up so i was wonder if you could tell if its running rich or lean by the way it back fires and shoots flames some times?

extra notes when reving up at a stand still it back fires a little bit on the down rev and when hit over 9 grand reving it up it at a stand still it shoots a flame

please any input will help

I know for a fact that Ivan's kit for the GenI is made to run with a slip-on and stock airbox and stock filter. I'd imagine if you installed pods that you'd be leaning it out a bit. His kit with the stock airbox runs a bit rich but that is fine. I'd just go back to the stock airbox and filter and enjoy the bike.

Back