need help for new bike

I'm looking to buy a used FZ1-N. its going to be used as a all year round commuter and for fun on weekends. so i was wondering is it worth spending the extra money on a ABS model with more miles or get a newer model with less miles and for less money? Also is there anything i should be looking for when buying a used FZ1-N? Thanks for any help!

The ABS question is a very general one (no matter which bike you're interested in). Is it worth it, paying for ABS?

Well.. there may be situations where ABS might save you. If you are a good rider (by which I mean not just ability to use controls properly, but being very aware of your surroundings), you should never need ABS.. and you should definitely not depend on it as a necessity.

This is a highly arguable point and you will get plenty of pro vs con opinions, so ultimately it's up to you to make the decision.

As for used FZ1-specific issues: carefully check the frame welds. There have been several reports of cracked frames, especially on older models (06-07).

Besides that, I would do the normal used bike check (universal issues associated with used bikes). You can find excellent examples of such lists by doing a google search.

Good luck!

Thanks ERCI

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen a couple of bikes i like I'm going to view them at the weekend 1 standard with ABS and another with modes but no ABS. so ill see what there like in person and how they ride.

Agree with Erci

My current bike has ABS and it is the first one in 34 years plus of riding. I purposely engaged it when I first bought the bike, just to see how it works. Since then I have never used it on pavement, and disable it when riding off road, so that I can drag my rear wheel at will (off-road Technic).

I would not even take that into consideration when looking for a bike, personally. It had no bearing on my last purchase since I have never relied on it before and won't start now. Like Erci stated, you should always rely on your ability and road awareness, never on an electronic nanny to keep you safe.

I would take a half faring over ABS simply to help keep the bugs, rocks and debris off my face. ABS is good to have, but not a deal winner or breaker. I would look at the overall condition of the specific bike.

Back