Need advice for fork switch

Hi all. I'm brand new to this forum! What brings me here? I have a 2003 FZ1. Love it. I have, however, been thinking of going naked. 3 days ago I had a low side slide. The back end of the bike is fine, with only a little cosmetic damage that I'll get taken care of. But the front end is destroyed. Fortunately, I walked away with only a little road rash and a couple of bruises. The forks bent back so that the front wheel slightly dented the radiator and a header pipe. But the neck of the frame is fine. Now seems like a perfect time to make some changes! I am so glad I found this forum as I can't find anyone around here to help coach me through this conversion. I suspect I'll have more than a few questions as I tackle this over the next couple of months. I would really appreciate any insights the forum can provide. Most immediately, I need to deal with forks and a front wheel. So here are my questions:

For a 2003 FZ1, what year range of R1 forks can I put on my bike?
Will the FZ1 triple tree work with R1 forks, or do I need to get everything (triple tree, forks, stem and head bearings)?
Will the FZ1 front wheel fit on the R1 forks?
Will the FZ1 brake assembly (mine is fine, surprisingly) fit on the R1 forks?
Will the R1 fender fit with the FZ1 front wheel?

Am I missing anything major here? Are the modifications more extensive than the above? Is it just a matter of dropping the R1 fork assemply into place and everything else will be okay?

Thanks again everyone!

Mark

This will get you started.....

R1 Fork Conversion Guide in TECH & MODIFICATIONS Forum

I'm in the process of doing an 08 R1 full setup (wheels and all). That is a bit more intensive. Fortunately, Devilsyam has made this easier (for me) with supplying all the necessary bits to make this happen and is a good source of info should you want to entertain other options.

OR, should you decide to stay with the OEM setup, I have a pair of forks, upgraded with Traxxion springs/valves that will be available hopefully by the end of this week. Complete front end actually, wheels to with good rubber still on 'em. Heck, maybe even some more goodies......

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Dustin and BroHay.

Now I'm a little hesitant to go through a fork conversion! I'm new to my area and don't know any fabricators/machine shops. The local bike shop won't touch such a conversion, so it'd be all on me. As I contemplate this, my bike sits and I'm not riding! Perhaps going with the original set up for now is my best option, then building an R1 conversion over time.

Along those lines, BroHay, are you still thinking you will have much of a front end to get rid of? How much are you looking for? At a minimum, I need a full front fork assembly, minus the triple tree (though I could take that too). The front wheel would be good too. I've got to figure out if I want to go with the front windshield and fairing. Anyway, let me know what you might have. If a PM or phone call would be easier, let me know.

Mark

Not without changing the upper /lower tree keeping the fz's stem. Fz oem is 43mm and gen 2/r1 is 50mm

Then you start messing with geometry bc of the forks being shorter than oem (which may or may not be a concern as affecting turn in).

I've moved to the sticks as well and closet place to have any fabrication is 1 1/2 hours away.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Back