Need A/V help

Wife and I just bought our first house, and I'm working hard n getting an entertainment setup. So far, I have a smart TV, MacBook, iPad, iPhones for each of us, AirPort, PS3, and surround system. I have iPad apps to run the TV and DVR, but not the stereo. I'm looking at upgrading the home theatre receiver to something that can be run by an app so that I can bury all of my remotes and use iPad/iPhones as a universal. The hang up I have is with AirPlay. Do I buy a receiver that supports it, or buy Apple TV and run it in to the HDMI input in the receiver? I ultimately plan on loading all audio and video media I own to my MacBook and using iTunes exclusively instead of putting discs in things. Knowing that, I want to be able to use my iPad or iPhone to call up any media I own and play it seamlessly through my stereo or TV. Anyone running a similar setup? Any input is welcome.

Let me know how it works out, I am looking to change my life to Apple here as well. First purchase is going to be an iphone5 and then macbook pro.

If possible get a 2nd generation appletv. It can be hacked to use xbmc software . You will be able to use Netflix and the "blue cop repo" to use amazon prime streams. I have a hard drive connected to AirPort Extreme to hold all media files but you could use a Mac or PC as a server.

Hacking apple tv to run xbmc will let you play other video formats. Otherwise you can convert them with a program called handbrake, for a format Apple TV accepts.

Back