my tire ahhhh

DirtyD

here is a pic of my rear tire with a nail in it.....the nail is about 2.5 in long....ipulled the naill and checked air pressure....added alittle to front and rear and it has no leaks....i rechecked air an hr later and still same pressure....do you think its ok still or should i replace?

Thats a tough call Dirty. It looks as though it actually ended up right through the skin of the tire. The problem is that it's on the contact zone when the bike is leaned over. I'm not sure that I'd want to be on a fast sweeper and have it let go on me. I'd have to vote on a new rear but thats just me. When you only have two wheels to rely on, your better safe than sorry. A little over a hundred dollars is cheap insurance in my book.

I just had a small brad that I just removed from a Pilot 2ct with less than 1K on it......same scenario, I was looking to put a patch on it, b/c no one will do it.....but have you given consideration to a tube?

Short story, replaced with a brand new tire and have the other waiting in the wings.....timeline did not allow me the luxury of waiting for I wanted to ride....

Thats a tough call Dirty. It looks as though it actually ended up right through the skin of the tire. The problem is that it's on the contact zone when the bike is leaned over. I'm not sure that I'd want to be on a fast sweeper and have it let go on me. I'd have to vote on a new rear but thats just me. When you only have two wheels to rely on, your better safe than sorry. A little over a hundred dollars is cheap insurance in my book.

I was kinda going the same route on it and motorcycle-superstore.com has a k2 racetech by Metzler for 80 bucks MSRP is over 200 so was leaning that way

Only a flesh wound

here is a pic of my rear tire with a nail in it.....the nail is about 2.5 in long....ipulled the naill and checked air pressure....added alittle to front and rear and it has no leaks....i rechecked air an hr later and still same pressure....do you think its ok still or should i replace?

From the picture it appears to have just gone through the meat of the tread. It does not appear to go deeper than the tread grooves. If when you put soapy water on it you are not getting bubbles I'd use it (in town). I probably wouldn't take it to the track or on a mountain road, or long vacation. Your bike, your life, YOUR CALL.

Yea Im going to ride on it for a week....Thats if the rain lets up for more than a day! BUT I got the go ahead to get a new rear so I can keep it on standby I guess....Thanks for the input guys

180 is made for a 5.5" rim. 190 is made for the 6" rim that you have...

A 180 on your wheel would be distorted, and handling would suffer.

If you want to go to a different size, the 190/55 is a favorite for the 6" wheel.

Plug it and it'll be fine for awhile. I've been plugging for years without any issues in all weather and even on extended trips...no issues. Buy a plug kit and you're set...I carry all that crap on every trip just in case. I rode on a plug from WA to CA one year with no issues...riding the hell out of that tire and it was fine. Don't buy a new tire like the other idiots out there that think a plug/patch isn't possible on a bike tire. If it's for the street only you're fine...otherwise I'd never plug a tire on a racetrack ;)

Don't buy a new tire like the other idiots out there that think a plug/patch isn't possible on a bike tire.

No one is saying that a plug or patch wouldn't work. We're just saying that if it were us, we would opt for some new rubber, rather than have a tire let go mid corner with your son, daughter, or whomever aboard with you. If you looked at the photo you'd see that a plug would not do anything in this case because the nail is running under the skin of the tire.

But nice choice of words anyway. If me wanting to be as safe as possible at highway speeds or better, on two wheels, than yes, I'm proud to be an idiot!

Plug it and it'll be fine for awhile. I've been plugging for years without any issues in all weather and even on extended trips...no issues. Buy a plug kit and you're set...I carry all that crap on every trip just in case. I rode on a plug from WA to CA one year with no issues...riding the hell out of that tire and it was fine. Don't buy a new tire like the other idiots out there that think a plug/patch isn't possible on a bike tire. If it's for the street only you're fine...otherwise I'd never plug a tire on a racetrack ;)

mmk... before we go calling people idiots... let's read the post... and realize that there is nothing to plug / patch .... it didn't go through the carcass into the void... it went through the outer layer of rubber. ... so... let's spin that mirror around there.... and... be nice to people. no name calling needed, and it won't be permitted.

well, this IDIOT tried to find a way to repair tire b/c the new one cost me 180.00 after everything was said and done....

If it is compromised in anyway, any reputable shop will exclude preforming any work on it for liability issues.

I do not have the equipment to be able to mount/balance myself so I'm at the mercy of what the shops feel comfortable doing and with a long weekend ride, and being the witching hour on Friday afternoon, new skin was my quickest path to being back on the road.....

The tire is fine...it holds pressure after riding and no leaks...it is always the safest to replace even on cars. I will be changing sooner than later

Back