My Street Fighter Gen 1 & A ?

Port8080

Good morning!

Over the winter I took my fz1 and converted it into a street fighter. Although, I still have some electrical wiring to do. Thankfully, the cold NY weather is giving me that extra time I need to finish things. I've attached some before and after pictures.

I'm doing the R1 gauge swap and although I know you can build a bracket using posts made in this forum and the "other" FZ1 forum, I'm toying with a different idea. Can I put a 2000 R1 Fairing Stay on the front of a Gen 1 FZ1? Would it bolt right on? I noticed one for sale on ebay for $15 and free shipping. I figured worse case scenario I just dremel off the gauge mount and save me some time haha.

Looking forward to your input.

I wouldn't bother with the R1 gauges, I went through 3 sets of clocks on my R1 s'fighter as they kept self destructing!!! Tacho's breaking were the main problem.

Personally I'd stick with the originals, less mucking about then.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I love the First gen as a Street fighter. I am not a fan of the small headlights. I like one bigger lamp, but that is just a personal pref.

Thanks for the tip on the gauges. I'll hang on to my stock ones.

Oh and Klurejr, I thought about doing one round headlight but I thought it would look too Suzuki GS500 like.

I'm a naked Gen 1 rider as well, and much prefer the single round headlight.

The problem I found with keeping the original gauges is that, my needles danced everywhere. I rarely knew how fast I was going, or what my engine speed was.

I rewired my harness for the R1 gauges, and have loved them. Easy digital speedo w/ analog tach. And being able to monitor engine temp is nice as well :) They've worked great for me, I've only done a few brief rides since I've rebuilt my engine. Now I tore her down again to get the forks done.

Sorry port8080, forgot to say that my R1 was the 4XV model (98) renown for dodgy gauges. Later models might be better as I was looking to upgrade my clocks to a later model, I found out that the looms were very different and went for a Koso set up in the end.
se3ypy2e.jpg

Sorry port8080, forgot to say that my R1 was the 4XV model (98) renown for dodgy gauges. Later models might be better as I was looking to upgrade my clocks to a later model, I found out that the looms were very different and went for a Koso set up in the end.
se3ypy2e.jpg

Oooo. Super fancy gauges. How hard was it to wire it?

Not too bad tbh. It was pretty basic. If your good with a soldering iron, and heat shrink, you should be ok.

My R1 only had a thermistor in the fuel tank for triggering the fuel light, and it gave me a few headaches until I got it right, but the gen1 has a variable resistor in there which would make it a doddle to wire up to get the fuel gauge working.

The clocks cost me £250(I think), and took me a day or two to wire up, as I used a multiplug from one of my dead clocks ad a plug 'n' play loom so as not to chop into the bikes loom.
I think the model was the RX1n, and was about right for that bike.

Back