My new (to me) Bill Russell Seat

WoooooHooooo!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty psyched to get this. I have been wanting to upgrade my seat and although I have the material at home to start playing with it - I just have not had the time.
Well this Bill Russell came available and I spoke to the previous owner. He has similar height & weight to mine so I rolled the dice. I have to say - It's really comfortable. It looks a little bulky but it more than makes up for it with comfort.

20120608_154630.jpg

Anyway - I highly recommend this seat to anyone. Even though I was not involved with the custom fitting - the end result is great!!!!

I want it. How do I get it?

Here is the website:

Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products

about $550 - 700. It explains the process pretty well. I did not have my butt measured. Instead I bought this used. I passed on one a while back because the rider was WAY smaller than I am. He was about 160lbs and I'm about 210lbs so I figured that it would be too small.
Bill Mayer invented this seat, and sold the patent and rights to Russell. (That's why I call it the "Bill Russell" but that's just my wording).

Here is a quote from the site:

This seat has internal springs like a mattress. If you weight more than 250 pounds, you have no choice: this is the only saddle that will work for you.

Nice score.

Russell Day log seats have been the top of the line comfort seat in the long distance community for years. A friend has one on his GS and loves it. The only draw back to a Day Long are the huge wings for butt support also make hanging off the seat in the corners a bit difficult.

I had Russell make me a seat last year, for my 08, and it was the best $$$ I've ever spent on my bike (OK, other then the Ohlin). I do alot of touring, 3000 mile trips, and the new seat is a joy to sit on!

Nice score.

Russell Day log seats have been the top of the line comfort seat in the long distance community for years. A friend has one on his GS and loves it. The only draw back to a Day Long are the huge wings for butt support also make hanging off the seat in the corners a bit difficult.

Yes.
This is something that I noticed during the 1st ride. It's definitely something to consider. After playing around with it for a while (driving around corners) I did find that I could lean into corners pretty well but not hang over one side. That is a pretty big deal but I don't regret my decision. I bought this seat for rides like the Arkansas Gather. 1300+ one way and my butt was killing me. This seat will definitely be for long distance trips and not really for aggressive driving. I can do 500 miles with my stock seat without too much discomfort so I think that will kind of be my threshold.

Back