My new plan. I'm done with the BS!!

I may exaggerate but I have been thinking along the lines of this thread for a while. The problem with our "Democracy" is that Govt can only make laws. I have a great deal of trouble thinking of a law that INCREASED freedom and did not decrease it. The "Antis" always seem to win as the Govt of the day will pass another law to be seen to be doing something thus reducing our freedom. Australia is still the place for me but having lived and worked in the US and Canada, I would have no problem living in either. Lots of differences but so much in common too.

You're right. Each additional law takes away an additional bit of freedom. New laws are passed - you never hear of a law being removed. They just build and become a more complex set of laws.
And the politicians love to champion a new law so as to be seen as he "crusader" coming to our rescue - so that his career is enhanced - he is perceived as "dynamic". So we get lots of new laws.... It's how politicians keep their jobs.
And it's interesting how all politicians end up being very wealthy.....

I feel compelled to add my 2 cents, even though it probably means nothing to anyone. I totally get how mad you are about this. Cops are given the right to enforce the law at their discretion. There is nothing that says that just because it's illegal they HAVE to give you a ticket. The law leaves it up to them to determine whether or not to do it. I know this for a fact because I've had cop friends (acquaintances) in the past. BUT, if you do the crime be prepared to do the time. You know it's illegal to pass on a double yellow and you did it. I do stuff all the time that's "illegal" and if I get caught, which I have in the past, then so be it. And once you're caught, part of doing the "time" is getting to play the whole BS money making judicial system game. It IS all about the money! You don't wanna know how much my motorcycle ticket back in 1996 was and the game I had to play for the next 6 months for excessive speeding. Makes $40 look like pocket change. Anyway, suck it up and move on and don't get caught next time ;)

I can't remember if this is fact or not, but I'm pretty sure double yellows aren't law in Onterrible. I seem to remember something about pavement markings not being enforceable because they can be obstructed by snow. Probably the ONLY driving law in Ontario that is more lax than the rest of the continent.

Run into that alot on the backroads less traveled, especially in farm country. Sometimes the drivers of this farm equipment are courteous and does pull over to let you pass..

I believe the truck was slowing as an attempt to be courtious, allowing the cars (and Me) to pass, he just did it while there was a double yellow and a cop and I got suckered into it ;)

Don't lose sleep over it, not worth it.

Yeah, I'm over it. Still doesn't make it right though.

Seems everyone focused in on my ticket issue rather then the other BS complaints in my first post, but I guess that's to be expected on a motorcycle forum.

Last edited:
Pretty dangerous. No sympathy from me mate, you cross those double lines and youre endangering someone else.

Couldn’t dissagree with this statement more…

We see this more and more in the U.S. – where traffic rules/laws/lights are placed where they should not be – and the result is the complete “dumbing-down” of drivers - attempting to take any/all driving-decisions out of the driver’s hands – and turned-over to some stupid law, light, or double-yellow line.

One of my current favorites is the idiotic left-turn on a green-arrow only at intersections. You can no longer make a decision, and turn left on-green (when it’s perfectly safe.) So… you have to sit there and wait for all other lights to cycle before you can get your turn comes-up again with the arrow – clogging-up traffic-flow for “safety’s sake.”

How about this example, Premires… You’re on a long highway straight-away with a dashed-yellow line (“safe to pass!”) behind a 18-wheeler in your ’77 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant-6 engine. You attempt the pass, but your Dart is slow to accelerate it takes 30-seconds to get to the cab (half-mile) – where you meet the next curve and run out of room. On the other hand, Phil zips past a extremely slow-moving farm truck in 2-seconds – giving him a wide-birth and crossing the double-yellow line - as he can easily determine there’s not a remote possibility of a head-on due to the visibility and distance from the on-coming curve. You can certainly argue all day that he “broke the law” – but it’s absurd to make a blanket-statement that someone is “dangerous” because a painted-stripe says so.

Let me ask one further question – when was the last time you actually came to a complete stop at a stop-sign when no other cars were around? Were lives put in-danger because technically you “broke the law" and "ran" the stop-sign?

I’m with you Phil – get off the grid as the liberal, progressive, dumbing-down of the country continues. We are in deep-trouble...

Speed limits and double yellow lines are suggestions as far as I care.

Most cops are pretty cool around here as long as your not doing wheelies or going wayyyyy over the limit.

as far as I'm concerned, most traffic laws that are out there should only be enforced when you cause or get into an accident... speeding, passing, stopping... common sense gets left out of a lot of situations...

:stirpot:

Works for me! Sometimes you pay the piper, most times you don't :hook2:

Lets talk about lane splitting. Who lane splits and is not in CA? :innocent: Of course, judgment is exercised. If traffic is moving at 50 mph, there's no reason to lane split. If traffic is crawling, then by all means I go for it.

SELL IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep my assets in cash so that big brother doesn't know what I have and can't touch it. Buy a thousand acres in the middle of Montana, buy a few goats, cows and chickens and to heck with the whole scheming corrupt world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

It's either that or go crazy trying to figure out who is the next business, company, corporation, government office, coworker or people who feel entitled, that are trying to ripoff everything that you have, and have worked hard for, while they sit on their lazy fat *** with either government support behind them or the "They're to big to fail" syndrome backing them. It's not that any of them is getting rich with big chunks at a time, but it's all the nickle and dime BS taxes, charges and fees that aren't worth the time and effort for an individual to properly dispute. I mean, who's going to hire a high-dollar lawyer to take the Mega-corperation to court over their $40 BS fee for who knows what, and the people you talk to on the phone can't even properly explain it, but you damned sure better pay it or you'll get caught up in the governments "pay and get off, and then pay again and again" ripoff circuit that they call the judicial system. PS: It ain't about "Justice" anymore,, it's about getting YOUR money.

Sorry for the rant but among other things that I had to deal with today, I had a bad experience dealing with the county clerk, at the same time the court ordered driving school is ripping me off too. All over a ticket where I calmly passed a 30mph farm truck, never exceeding the speed limit, but on a double yellow line. It was on a country road that has a 55mph speed limit, a straightaway that measures about 1600ft, has no side entrances (no driveways or side roads enter the straight). It probably shouldn't be a double yellow there, but the fact is,,, it is double yellow.

OK fine,,, by the letter of the law, I freely admit guilt to passing on a double yellow, but under those circumstances, first of all, I feel the cop should have used some common sense and gave me a break. I generally tend to agree with the "ZERO TOLERANCE" idealism when it comes to serious crimes, but some common sense should have been the deciding factor in this case.

So after the TN State Trooper had written the ticket, I figured I would ask him his honest opinion on whether my pass was REALLY so dangerous or was he just sticking with the "No Tolerance", "letter of the law" reason. He kinda smiled, and I thought he was going to admit the ludicrousness of the ticket but instead he actually told me that "There's a corner at the end of the straightaway and if a car had been coming around that corner it wouldn't have been pretty". If he had admitted it was just a "Letter of the law" issue, I think I would have been a little miffed but I would have been OK with it, but to keep things calm and not to make things worse, I kept my mouth shut once I knew where his head was at (UP HIS,,, well you know!!), but in my mind, I'm thinking OF COARSE there's a curve at the end of the straightaway, if there wasn't, it would still be a straightaway, Also, IF a car had been coming around that corner, it would have had to be going 300mph before I would have been in any danger at all, I DID complete the pass WAAYYY before even halfway of the straight,,, he even passed the 3 cars behind me to pull me over before the end of the straight.

Rant over!! Thanx for listening (LOL)

Sorry to hear about your ticket but if your gonna play be prepared to pay. Thankfully as a law abbiding citizen who drives 5 under the speed limit at all times I have nothing to worry about:angel:

I take exception to the dumbing down of society being labeled as "progressive" or "liberal". I don't think people's relative ignorance has anything to do with their political leanings. I know several people on the right and left sides of the spectrum who are intelligent and aware. In fact, the last event I attended warning of the dire situation of ignorance facing society was presented by one of the most "progressive" and "liberal" speakers I've ever heard. I also know several on both sides of the spectrum who are complete idiots with no clue how to operate a toaster, nevermind a vehicle. Let's not turn this in to something it's not.

lets leave politics out of it entirely. Political discussions here are not allowed. They get heated and personal. We are motorcyclists here first and foremost. Not democrats or republicans. We want this forum to be a haven from such BS and crap and if that is what you want you can get it on most any other internet forum.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Couldn’t dissagree with this statement more…

We see this more and more in the U.S. – where traffic rules/laws/lights are placed where they should not be – and the result is the complete “dumbing-down” of drivers - attempting to take any/all driving-decisions out of the driver’s hands – and turned-over to some stupid law, light, or double-yellow line.

How about this example, Premires… You’re on a long highway straight-away with a dashed-yellow line (“safe to pass!”) behind a 18-wheeler in your ’77 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant-6 engine. You attempt the pass, but your Dart is slow to accelerate it takes 30-seconds to get to the cab (half-mile) – where you meet the next curve and run out of room. On the other hand, Phil zips past a extremely slow-moving farm truck in 2-seconds – giving him a wide-birth and crossing the double-yellow line - as he can easily determine there’s not a remote possibility of a head-on due to the visibility and distance from the on-coming curve. You can certainly argue all day that he “broke the law” – but it’s absurd to make a blanket-statement that someone is “dangerous” because a painted-stripe says so.
I would have to agree with you (mostly) Darth, "zero-tolerance" doesn't have anything to do with common sense, and sadly this is the result. Instead of utilizing any common sense at all, the revenue enforcement official (aka: police officer) pulls over the "evil" motorcyclist in hopes that he will run, or not have proper endorsement/insurance...to up the revenue and get a little gold star by his name down at the station for being a good little revenue soldier. Now, I honestly have nothing but respect for LEO's, but they are directed to enforce traffic, and instead of going after the problem here, in this case, the slow moving mo-fo in the farm equipment, he goes fishing for a potential bigger fish being the one on the high performance sports bike.

Let me ask one further question – when was the last time you actually came to a complete stop at a stop-sign when no other cars were around? Were lives put in-danger because technically you “broke the law" and "ran" the stop-sign?
Sadly, as a parent/step-parent of 16, 17 & 19 year old's, I stop at every stop sign. As an example driver to my young and impressionable drivers, and have made it into a habit that carries over to all times in all vehicles.

But, by myself I tend to drop the hammer a bit more often now than when I don't have the youngsters with me.
: :flip:

Most cops are pretty cool around here as long as your not doing wheelies or going wayyyyy over the limit.

You're in Rhode Island, Papa G! My COUNTY is bigger than the cute little state of RI. You can just wheelie into the next state, and not worry about it! j/k! :p

lolup

could have at least used the older '63 with a 170 slant six for your example :p

j/k

I speak from 225 slant-6 experience...

Sorry… I’ll retract my last dumbing-down statement, and leave my political beliefs to myself – right here next to my Chick-fil-a sandwich! ( j/k.) But I thought this forum was:
The Bar Pull up a stool. This is an open forum where you can discuss whatever you wish.

The topic started-out with selling all assets, tickets, and big-headed cops and double-yellow lines. But I'll certainly follow the rules from now on... :) Honestly - I didn't mean to start anything, I just speak my mind...

lolup

could have at least used the older '63 with a 170 slant six for your example :p

j/k

I had a 73 Duster, sun roof, half vinyl top, 340 stripe package (without the 340 logo). I bought it used, but some one had to have custom ordered that car for thier daughter, because with all of the fancy expensive upgrades (for that era) it had the 170ci and it was a DOG!!!! worse performing car I have ever had or seen (LOL). I think the 3 cylinder Ugo's were faster.

Last edited:
in your ’77 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant-6 engine.

Mine was a 1975 Dart swinger. Same engine. If I remember correctly it was factory rated at 70 hp but was built with forged connecting rods. 3 speed auto, 1 barel carb. but it got 30 mpg with your foot on the floor.
I sold it for $50

Back