My new plan. I'm done with the BS!!

Phil_RC_1

SELL IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep my assets in cash so that big brother doesn't know what I have and can't touch it. Buy a thousand acres in the middle of Montana, buy a few goats, cows and chickens and to heck with the whole scheming corrupt world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

It's either that or go crazy trying to figure out who is the next business, company, corporation, government office, coworker or people who feel entitled, that are trying to ripoff everything that you have, and have worked hard for, while they sit on their lazy fat *** with either government support behind them or the "They're to big to fail" syndrome backing them. It's not that any of them is getting rich with big chunks at a time, but it's all the nickle and dime BS taxes, charges and fees that aren't worth the time and effort for an individual to properly dispute. I mean, who's going to hire a high-dollar lawyer to take the Mega-corperation to court over their $40 BS fee for who knows what, and the people you talk to on the phone can't even properly explain it, but you damned sure better pay it or you'll get caught up in the governments "pay and get off, and then pay again and again" ripoff circuit that they call the judicial system. PS: It ain't about "Justice" anymore,, it's about getting YOUR money.

Sorry for the rant but among other things that I had to deal with today, I had a bad experience dealing with the county clerk, at the same time the court ordered driving school is ripping me off too. All over a ticket where I calmly passed a 30mph farm truck, never exceeding the speed limit, but on a double yellow line. It was on a country road that has a 55mph speed limit, a straightaway that measures about 1600ft, has no side entrances (no driveways or side roads enter the straight). It probably shouldn't be a double yellow there, but the fact is,,, it is double yellow.

OK fine,,, by the letter of the law, I freely admit guilt to passing on a double yellow, but under those circumstances, first of all, I feel the cop should have used some common sense and gave me a break. I generally tend to agree with the "ZERO TOLERANCE" idealism when it comes to serious crimes, but some common sense should have been the deciding factor in this case.

So after the TN State Trooper had written the ticket, I figured I would ask him his honest opinion on whether my pass was REALLY so dangerous or was he just sticking with the "No Tolerance", "letter of the law" reason. He kinda smiled, and I thought he was going to admit the ludicrousness of the ticket but instead he actually told me that "There's a corner at the end of the straightaway and if a car had been coming around that corner it wouldn't have been pretty". If he had admitted it was just a "Letter of the law" issue, I think I would have been a little miffed but I would have been OK with it, but to keep things calm and not to make things worse, I kept my mouth shut once I knew where his head was at (UP HIS,,, well you know!!), but in my mind, I'm thinking OF COARSE there's a curve at the end of the straightaway, if there wasn't, it would still be a straightaway, Also, IF a car had been coming around that corner, it would have had to be going 300mph before I would have been in any danger at all, I DID complete the pass WAAYYY before even halfway of the straight,,, he even passed the 3 cars behind me to pull me over before the end of the straight.

Rant over!! Thanx for listening (LOL)

From what I can tell, if your driving on a 55mph road, you should at least have to maintain the minimum speed limit. The farm truck should have had the decency to pull over and let you by if he couldn't maintain the minimum speed limit. The driver of the truck should have been cited as well. Here in NY there is a minimum speed limit that you have to maintain. I think on the parkways its 40 or 45mph. I feel for you buddy.

i can not say about your problems back east, but even here in Ca farm equipment is exempt from most traffic laws. even a 12 year old can drive (on a hwy) so long as they can "fit" the truck or tractor, aka feet touch the floor and head over the steering wheel. :wow:
and we have the same deal about crossing the dy. :sport12:

sorry but you did cross. if we get caught doing the same here we get a ticket also.

yes it is :bs:. but the law.

i can not say about your problems back east, but even here in Ca farm equipment is exempt from most traffic laws. even a 12 year old can drive (on a hwy) so long as they can "fit" the truck or tractor, aka feet touch the floor and head over the steering wheel. :wow:
and we have the same deal about crossing the dy. :sport12:

sorry but you did cross. if we get caught doing the same here we get a ticket also.

yes it is :bs:. but the law.

Oh for sure. He crossed the double yellow and that is that. Thats a ticket just about everywhere. I guess here in the city "farm vehicles" aren't too much of a problem. It just sucks that the driver wouldn't have pulled over for the guy and let him pass. I would never hold up faster traffic behind me. I guess I'm just the courteous kind! :cheers:

I have found law enforcement to exhibit totally polarized thinking. Someting is either right or wrong; black or white; off or on; good or bad; etc. etc. Thinking does not come into the process.

Then the story about the corner way down the road is just a mental rationalization for his position. In his mind, he needs to believe that there really might be a reason to give the ticket, otherwise he might feel guilty about doing his job.

When going 30 MPH, I calculate that the tractor could be passed, and you could get back into the right lane, in a span of about 400 feet, leaving 1200 more feet before the corner. Yes, it was against the law, but in my opinion it was NOT an unsafe act.

It is all about the revenue. Period. Very frustrating indeed.

Nowhere to hide

Yeah, sometimes the world just sucks.. Sometimes you just run into the same types of people over and over again, and the lop-sided or upside down justice of the world - it all just makes you sick and you nearly want to cry till you start laughing. My luck, if I did have a thousand acres in the-middle-of-nowhere, a convoy of rainbow hippies would suddenly appear camped out at my mailbox. :) And when I did open the mailbox, I'd get a letter from the EPA that the land was condemed as a Super-fund toxic waste site.. When things get aggravating that's when it's time to pack a bag, jump on your bike and just vanish for while. It's the only cure I have ever found. ride safe, H.

always check your 6:00 before passing, even in a legal passing zone..

LOL
I like this lolup And there is a lot of truth to it.
Well I am more sympathetic to your situation because I have to drive down a lot of 2 lane Farm to Market Hiways and I know that you are talking about. It is not uncommon to see a trail of cars backed up a mile long because a farmer has his 1965 Chevy Rust Bucket barreling down the road at 25 mph. It is actually a dangerous situation and I wish the troopers would enforce the minimum speed limits also.
For the people who are "letter of the law" - I see your point and you are right. However, it doesn't matter who is "CORRECT" because it's THE LAW so we are stuck with it. HAHAHA!!!! Come one guys - the law is not always about right and wrong. Numerous examples all over the internet and personal experiences we have all had to reinforce that theory. :deal:
I am no angel when it comes to double yellow lines. I have broken the law on a few occasion but I understand that I'm breaking the law so I will accept the consequences. In fact we all argued this very point when that guy in a pickup chased down the motorcycle who passed him on a back road.
Well back to the original poster - I see why you are mad and you have a point but like I said - not all laws are perfect and it doesn't matter if we agree with the law - we are stuck with them.............UNLESS you decide to fight it. :smokin2:
You can always get a law degree and fight the very things that you are angry about. LOL I know you are just blowing off steam but I would love to have a law degree sometimes. ;)

Governments all over the country are desperate for money to pay for pensions and salaries. They are looking to revenue streams like traffic fines as a way to help alleviate their problems. All the more reason to step back, take a breath and obey the laws, even if they make little sense or your infraction is borderline. We have allowed this takeover grab to continue to fester, it is up to us to turn it back. Elections have consequences.

Run into that alot on the backroads less traveled, especially in farm country. Sometimes the drivers of this farm equipment are courteous and does pull over to let you pass. Other times they are completely oblivious.

I'll usually follow for a 10-15 seconds to see what they'll do, then pass when it is safe to do so, regardless of the type of line present. I suppose you could have waited until you were in a legal passing zone. Consider it an annoyance fee for all the times you got away with it before.

Don't lose sleep over it, not worth it.

It is all about the revenue. Period. Very frustrating indeed.

Unfortunately this is true. If it makes you feel any better I found out I owe the state $260 for the purchase if my bike, and they tried to make it a lot more saying the bike is worth more than what I paid for it. By the time that was all sorted out they shut off their card readers so now I have to return to the seventh layer of hell (I.E the DMV) again tommorow. God I hate WA

Pretty dangerous. No sympathy from me mate, you cross those double lines and you're endangering someone else.
I here ya, and I hate seeing those cell phone people wandering all over the road, oblivious to whether they are on their side of the road,, or those guys on roads like the Dragon that are Richard Petty wannabees hugging the inside lane even when it's your lane. That's really not the case here. I had clear vision and a clear road, and my actions were intentional and deliberate, not unaware and oblivious.

So, if you were on a 10 mile straight stretch of road, double yellow, clear and full vision of the whole road ahead, no other traffic in sight, (I know it's technically against the law) but you think it's dangerous, simply because some "person" decided to paint double yellows on it???? Yeah, I know, my straightaway was ONLY a little over .3 miles (the straightaway length isn't really the point) but it might as well have been 10 miles, it was a SAFE pass. I'm 51, been riding almost my whole life, since 10 or so. You don't get to be and "old" rider without making safety a high priority. Technically breaking the law?,,, yes,,, Unsafe, or dangerous? NO!!

If the truck had been doing 45mph or 50mph,, not safe, not enough straightaway without exceeding the speed limit, I wouldn't have done it.

And by the way,, Traffic laws were and are designed to make travel smooth and safe!!! In this instance, going that slow, it was safe. That's really the point of that part of the rant.

Not to fuel any fires. But you guys that think there should be "ZERO TOLERANCE" in any law on the books,,,, that's just ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,, I can't think of an actual word for that mind set....... This leads to things like the third grade girl that was a star pupil, gave an aspirin to her friend, then she was expelled indefinitely for dealing drugs. Probably ruined that little girls life, hopes and dreams, all because some IDIOT has no common sense and a "NO TOLERANCE" policy. Not to mention all of the "Witch" laws that are still on the books in some states, and other out dated undereducated nonsense.

always check your 6:00 before passing, even in a legal passing zone..

I do and I did. The problem was, at that critical point I'm usually more worried about checking for people that have less Patience then I do and are already trying to pass me, I'm usually not looking to see if it's a cop, my main concern is to pass safely. Besides, he was the last car in line, sorta hidden behind the other cars.

I here ya, and I hate seeing those cell phone people wandering all over the road, oblivious to whether they are on their side of the road,, or those guys on roads like the Dragon that are Richard Petty wannabees hugging the inside lane even when it's your lane. That's really not the case here. I had clear vision and a clear road, and my actions were intentional and deliberate, not unaware and oblivious.

So, if you were on a 10 mile straight stretch of road, double yellow, clear and full vision of the whole road ahead, no other traffic in sight, (I know it's technically against the law) but you think it's dangerous, simply because some "person" decided to paint double yellows on it???? Yeah, I know, my straightaway was ONLY a little over .3 miles (the straightaway length isn't really the point) but it might as well have been 10 miles, it was a SAFE pass. I'm 51, been riding almost my whole life, since 10 or so. You don't get to be and "old" rider without making safety a high priority. Technically breaking the law?,,, yes,,, Unsafe, or dangerous? NO!!

If the truck had been doing 45mph or 50mph,, not safe, not enough straightaway without exceeding the speed limit, I wouldn't have done it.

And by the way,, Traffic laws were and are designed to make travel smooth and safe!!! In this instance, going that slow, it was safe. That's really the point of that part of the rant.

Not to fuel any fires. But you guys that think there should be "ZERO TOLERANCE" in any law on the books,,,, that's just ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,, I can't think of an actual word for that mind set....... This leads to things like the third grade girl that was a star pupil, gave an aspirin to her friend, then she was expelled indefinitely for dealing drugs. Probably ruined that little girls life, hopes and dreams, all because some IDIOT has no common sense and a "NO TOLERANCE" policy. Not to mention all of the "Witch" laws that are still on the books in some states, and other out dated undereducated nonsense.

I do and I did. The problem was, at that critical point I'm usually more worried about checking for people that have less Patience then I do and are already trying to pass me, I'm usually not looking to see if it's a cop, my main concern is to pass safely. Besides, he was the last car in line, sorta hidden behind the other cars.

I feel ya man its one of those things that will piss you off but what can ya do. The guy may have had a bad day at the office or quota to get. In Yakima WA where i live there are a lot of ridiculous traffic markings that make no sense at all. Makes you wonder what the street marking engineers were thinking when they designed it lol.

I feel for you. And the thousand acres in Montana sounds good (the hippies don't). But many people would say "a thousand acres in Tennessee". Thinking that would be a good place to get away from it all - lots of remote land. But you are in Tennessee - and it's still happening!
So is that how Montana would be, too?
It's getting desperate here in the US anymore. The laws - constantly being created by politicians... and the police in their near frenzy against the public....
The traffic laws are there for safety. If there is no unsafe condition ....

Kinda like a story I have. I was stopped by the police driving down a completely deserted four lane divided highway at 2:00 in the morning. No other cars for miles - except for an oncoming car (police it turned out) who decided to turn around and follow me - until he could figure out some reason to stop me. I was totally legal - 50 MPH in a 50 MPH. But he stopped me - because he said the speed limit changed to 45 after I passed through a light. (I was slowing to make an intersection turn just past the light - only 1/4 mile past the light - so when was I going 50 - right under the light? which it turned out 50 was the speed limit there anyway.
I checked the next day - he lied - the posted limit change to 45 was not for another half mile - even past my intersection turn.
He didn't ticket me - but gave me his "tough talk" ... "and I won't write you up this time, but..."
It's disgusting. No other cars on the road - but he causes an incident on the highway for no reason - except for the fact that he could - because he has The Car, the Lights and the Gun.

It's not right being harassed by the police - but I frankly don't know what we can do about it. It's their club (the good ole boys) - the cops - they have all the power - and they know it.

Driving down the road - you should not be stopped for no reason and subjected to the junk they subject you to. But they like to do it. So - too bad if you might have a heart condition and the stress puts you into a life threatening situation - or whatever situation might develop when they stop you and confront you. It's not right.

And this rant is over. But I feel for you. And I worry about what is becoming of our country. I'm old enough that I remember what it used to be like - and it wasn't this!! It's turned into a police state.

At least its just not here. The way our speed limits keep getting reduced, I think 50kph will be the max in a few years oh and overtaking anywhere will be illegal. The bureaucrats own the world!

At least its just not here. The way our speed limits keep getting reduced, I think 50kph will be the max in a few years oh and overtaking anywhere will be illegal. The bureaucrats own the world!

I keep hearing some not such good stuff about the laws and restrictions and police down in your fair country. So many of us here (US) always have had Australia in the back of our minds as a good unspoiled unfettered place to run off to.
It's disheartening to hear.

I keep hearing some not such good stuff about the laws and restrictions and police down in your fair country. So many of us here (US) always have had Australia in the back of our minds as a good unspoiled unfettered place to run off to.
It's disheartening to hear.
I may exaggerate but I have been thinking along the lines of this thread for a while. The problem with our "Democracy" is that Govt can only make laws. I have a great deal of trouble thinking of a law that INCREASED freedom and did not decrease it. The "Antis" always seem to win as the Govt of the day will pass another law to be seen to be doing something thus reducing our freedom. Australia is still the place for me but having lived and worked in the US and Canada, I would have no problem living in either. Lots of differences but so much in common too.

Back