My new hobby (or interest!)

Phil_RC_1

So long story short,,,, I am 53,,,,,, a little over a year ago my Doc said quit smoking and get into shape or DIE!!!! (LOL)............... OK,,, that was a bit abbreviated but I did say "long story short" right??! Anyway, I quit smoking in June last year. Then, 8 months later in Feb 2014, after gaining 30 lbs and once I felt semi-comfortable that I had the non-smoking thing under control (Thanks be to God!), I decided to start working out, so I bought a Mongoose XR-Pro 29" mountain bike:stunta]:. It is less-than a full-on "Bicycle shop" bicycle (I bought it at Wally World!! one of their BEST ones) but it is still a decent bicycle for the $$$$$. So. I feel like a kid again,,, almost,,, riding my N1K to and from work then hopping on the mountain bike for my workout in the evenings. Since Feb 2014, I have lost 50 lbs and feel like I have gained 50 lbs of muscle and an extra 10 killowatts of energy (LOL).

Anyway, any of you guys that are middle-age, or approaching it,, dulldrumming through life and zoning out until the next "goal" is achieved...... QUIT IT!!!! I recommend not letting yourself go as long as I did and "waking up" at 53. Get into shape, get outside, experience life as God intended it for you. :cheerleader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1dPUD4mNC4
[video=youtube;H1dPUD4mNC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1dPUD4mNC4[/video]
I'm going to try to have more GoPro vids of my family and myself off-roading on quads, dirt bikes and mountain bikes, so subscribe to my channel for future vids.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hooray!

I love cycling. I think is perhaps the most "pure" sport there is. It really does give a sence of freedom and accomplishment.

Congratulations!

Cycling is a great way to see the scenery and enjoy being in the open. However, you need to take more care in riding than motoring a bike on the public roadways. (I'm a roadie and ply all the streets and roads in my area.) If you thought you were invisible on the moto then you are non-existant on the bicycle. It's just a fact of life on the roads.

So keep up the good work and exercise, stay off the smokes (I quit 30 years ago) and enjoy your new vigor.

BTW don't worry about having a WalMart bike, the Mongoose is an decent reliable brand and should work fine, it's the cheaper components they spec out on it that will start failing and those cost a lot to replace.

Last edited:
Back