My Mileage,, My ST tire mileage log

Phil_RC_1

Hi All,

I have read so many varying results on "How Many miles did you get out of brand X tire", that it makes it practically impossible to compare expected mileage of tires on the experience of others. The mileage numbers vary so wildly, Some are claiming 10K out of pure sport tires like Pilot powers, while others (Like myself) are barely able to get 6K out of ST tires like Pilot Roads (That right there makes no darn sense!!!!!!!!!!! :) and can't be right!! ) Of coarse there are a lot of variables that effect how many miles a person can get from a set of tires, such as rider weight, riding style and habits, air pressures, maintenance and maybe a bit of exaggeration, or simply inaccurate recollections here and there (LOL). To help me keep an accurate account of the mileage of each tire set, I am logging the actual Odo reading here at each tire change.

I'm 52 and during the time that I have owned the FZ1, my riding style hasn't changed much, my maintenance habits haven't changed much, my commute route hasn't changed in 16 yrs and 99% of my miles are commuting. I weigh in around 220lb. Your statistics may vary, but you should at least be able to infer that if I get 10% more miles out of brand "X" compared to brand "Y", then you should get approximately 10% more miles from brand "X" as compared to brand "Y"

1) Pilot Roads: The OEM tires, Odometer = 6018 miles. I wore these down past the TWI markers and I had a small patch of tread Cord showing on the rear tire (OOOPS!!!!). I liked the overall feel and handling of these, they just didn't last long enough.

2) Metz Roadtec Z8 Interacts: Odo=6018 to Odo= 13918 = Total miles of 7900 miles. NOTE: I wasn't to the wear markers yet, I think that I could have put another 400 or 500 miles on them, but the new Avons arrived so I changed them out. The Z8's felt really stable, almost to stable (hard to turn-in) I think it is due to gyroscopic effect of their weight.

3) Avon Storm II: Odo=13918 to 22315 = Total miles of 8397 miles. I changed these out a few miles after seeing the wear markers hit. I couldn't have gotten another "safe" mile out of these. Overall felt great, handled great. Best feeling tire of the previous tires that I have ran. But I still want more miles (LOL). Looking for that elusive 10K bench mark.

4) Mich Pilot Road III: Odo= 22315,,,,,, Just put them on, so we'll see!!!!

BTW: In each set of tires, the rear wore out first (which is typical) but I like to swap my tires in complete sets, so the fronts could have gone more miles, Except for the Avons, the fronts wore at almost the same rate as the rears.

EDIT: My FZ1 was stolen 7/21/13, it was insured, so now I'm riding a 2012 N1K.
EDIT: Since my new Ninja is in the same basic "class" with the FZ1 and the weight is similar (Ninja is 22 lbs. heavier according factory specs), I feel the mileage comparison is still relevant, so I'm going to continue with my mileage log.

1) OEM BT016: Odo: 0 to 3695 miles. I liked everything about these tires except their longevity. The grip and feel inspired confidence, which is to be expected from a tire tuned more to sport riding. I had almost no chicken strips on these, which is out of the norm for me. I pushed these tires harder then any other because of the comfort level and "stuck" feel. (It could be the new bike too though!!) Around here, the cost of mount and balance can vary from about $25 to almost $40 each after tax, so I just can't afford to change tires every 3700 miles.

2) BT023: 11/02/13, Odo: 3695 to Odo: 9983 = 6288 miles. These tires felt very similar to the BT016. A lot of things about this tire I liked, Nothing at all to complain about except,, still not enough total miles.

3) Mich Pilot Road 4: 08/29/14, Odo: 9983 to Odo: 17064 = 7081 miles and they are on the TWI markers. Great handling tires, good in the rain even though I don't push any tire too hard in the wet, I never had these slip or slide. Handled just as good the day I took them off as the day they were new. I know mileage isn't everything but these wore a little faster then expected.

4) Avon Storm 3D X-M: 08/21/15 Odo: 17064 to 27562 = 10,498 miles. Since the Storm 2s have been the best overall tire so far, I thought I would give the new 3D X-Ms a try. The "X-M" is supposed to stand for Xtra Mileage,,, so we'll see!!!
OCT. 11 2016 UPDATE I just haven't put as many miles on my bike this year as I usually do. I've had the 3D XMs on my bike for over a year and only have 7800 miles on them. They are still looking good and I'll update again when I change them out.
I finally wore these tires down to the wear markers at 27562 miles on the Odo, which is 10,498 on this set of tires. Not bad at all. Since Rocky Mountain MC/ATV had them on sale, I bought another set.

5) Avon Storm 3D X-M: 06/28/17, Odo: 27562 to ???????

Last edited:
And your results are only valid for you. My tires do not worn out in the center.

I don't think your statement completely applies, but obviously, anyone reading this should use thier own judgement.

I think the more someones riding style, weight etc. etc. is similar to mine, the more thier results would be similar to my actual mileage (Not just in percentage). This is why I stated my weight, driving habits etc. etc. in the original post. Conversely, the more your riding style differs, the less accurate any comparison would be (use your own judgement). But I believe if you look at the mileage differences in a percentage rather then actual miles, (referenced to your own mileage experience with any of the above tires) then the data will be more apt to apply to a wider range of rider variables.

Phil

Last edited:
Great info. Could you hurry up and wear out the lll's, I'm coming up on needing some new treads:popcorn:

Well, I probably won't be able to log the final mileage on the PRIIIs. My bike was stolen around 4 AM this morning. Some people just need to be,,,, well ,, I won't go there, suffice it to say, I'm PI$$ED!!!!!!!!!!!! and would love to hit something or someone.

Man that just sucks-big time.

Where was it parked? Bike thieves should have their fingers cut off-ok all the crummy bastages should be...

I had my house I rented years ago robbed, really pissed me off too!

So sorry to hear that dam that's two guys on the site that got there ride jacked in a month! I hope you get your ride back.Yes the thief should have at LEAST a finger removed

Thanx for all of the heart felt condolences. ;)

Due to some of the details about the case, the investigator thinks it's someone that knows me and has been in my shop. So he believes there's a good chance of recovering the bike. I hope so!! Even though I am fully insured, I doubt the insurance company will reimburse all my mods and upgrades, and I'm not sure if they will give me full replacement value for the bike itself. So if my bike is not found, it could still cost me, possibly $2K to $3K or more to actually replace it to the spec I had.

Which reminds me how much I hate insurance companies,,,,,,, I mean you pay out of your nose, every month for years and years and then when they have to cover a claim they want to cheat you out of every penny they can!!

Anyway,, I'll keep this thread updated,,,, even if I have to "downgrade"to a new Ninja 1000 !!! LOL,,, which is the bike I am leaning toward if I have to replace the FZ.

The replacement

The insurance came through, so this past Saturday I bought a leftover 2012 Kaw Z1000SX or N1K. Now to start getting it to the same "spec" that I had my FZ1,,,, time and $$$$$$!!!!!!!!

Although I like the new bike, I'm still SO pi$$ed about this whole ordeal.

EDIT: Since my new Ninja is in the same basic "class" with the FZ1 and the weight is similar (Ninja is 22 lbs. heavier according factory specs), I feel the mileage comparison is still relevant, so I'm going to continue keep my tire mileage log edited/updated.

phil_rc_1-albums-family-picture3818-fleet-08-10-13.jpg

The family as of 08-10-13

Last edited:
Just finished up a pair of BT023s down to the TWIs, and updated the first post in this thread. Overall a good handling tire, nothing to complain about but a lot to praise. However, I'm still looking for that elusive 10K mile tire that still handles good. Time to try the Mich PR4.

So I peruse Craigslist for a few minutes almost every morning while drinking coffee and waking up. Yesterday, I see MY FZ1 that was stolen a year and a half ago (July 2013) on there for $1000 for-parts, no title, not running. The bike looks complete down to the cigarette lighter that I installed in the inner fairing. I immediately call the detective that worked my case and before the day was over the cops had the bike recovered. The guy selling it apparently had paperwork showing that he had legitimately bought it from an auction house, but we'll see! Auction paperwork can be forged, but there are also some shady auction houses out there too.

Since my insurance paid me, it is no longer my bike but I will eventually have the option to buy it back. It looks like the thieves only put about 1000-1500 miles on it so I just may try to buy it back if the price is right.

Keep 'em coming! I'll be interested to hear what you think about the Avons. Mind you, I just dealt with a defective Avon front tire and now my opinion of them has soured a bit.

Back