My FCE install experience

The crimp connections are not bad, but I could tell right away that Ivan (or whoever manufactures the FCE) did a better job with then than I do. I decided to solder all of the connectors to the wires on my bike - crimped them, then soldered with good silver solder. That way, if I ever take the FCE out, I can just plug the wires on the bike back together with good, soldered connectors, Ivan will be happy that I did not solder anything on the FCE if I ever have to send it back to him with a problem.

That's a good idea about soldering the wires on the bike harness side and not the FCE side.

Ivan's explanation for not soldering the connectors to the FCE is that the vendor that manufactures it for him wont honor the warranty if the connectors are soldered. I don't understand why, but that's the explanation he's given in the past...

The crimp connections are not bad, but I could tell right away that Ivan (or whoever manufactures the FCE) did a better job with then than I do. I decided to solder all of the connectors to the wires on my bike - crimped them, then soldered with good silver solder. That way, if I ever take the FCE out, I can just plug the wires on the bike back together with good, soldered connectors, Ivan will be happy that I did not solder anything on the FCE if I ever have to send it back to him with a problem.

I soldered the bike-side connectors as well after crimping - just for good measure. However I think they would have been just fine crimped.

Back